Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Question Coolant leak & squeaking on cummins ISB 6.7

I have a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery with a Cummins ISB 6.7 350hp. We are on the road and I noticed a squeaking noise upon starting the engine. I thought it was probably the belt squeaking. I shut the engine down for the night and after starting it the next morning, I noticed some coolant on the ground (small puddle- plate size, haven't had to refill reservoir). The coolant was dripping from the front of the oil pan. It seemed to be coming from higher up, but couldn't really tell. I tried to get the coach into the Cummins service center in Denver, but booked up for a week. I took it to Floyds truck center in Cheyenne, WY (Cummins authorized). They told me the water pump needed to be replaced @ $2300. I feel a little uneasy about it. They cant get to it until Monday so I was just trying to get some advice on what to do etc...
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #2

Yes it is possible the coolant was from weep hole on water pump. And it is a sign that it needs replaced. Sorry i dont have any further help
schrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
I have a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery with a Cummins ISB 6.7 350hp. We are on the road and I noticed a squeaking noise upon starting the engine. I thought it was probably the belt squeaking. I shut the engine down for the night and after starting it the next morning, I noticed some coolant on the ground (small puddle- plate size, haven't had to refill reservoir). The coolant was dripping from the front of the oil pan. It seemed to be coming from higher up, but couldn't really tell. I tried to get the coach into the Cummins service center in Denver, but booked up for a week. I took it to Floyds truck center in Cheyenne, WY (Cummins authorized). They told me the water pump needed to be replaced @ $2300. I feel a little uneasy about it. They cant get to it until Monday so I was just trying to get some advice on what to do etc...
This was cross posted in the Cummins forum,
Old 08-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

I know almost nothing about this particular engine. However, I just Googled the water pump and it looks like they sell for a little north of $100. $2300 sounds a whole bunch high to me. But then what do I know? I think I'd at least ask Denver what the cost to replace the water pump would be and then make my decision.

Things like this are why I got rid of my Monaco Cummins DP and went back to a gas motothome.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #5

I am currently changing the antifreeze and stuff on my 8.3 Cummins.
The pump is about $100 and easy to replace. Getting to it is the hard part. Radiator and CAC must be removed, and the hoses might need to be replaced, likely do the fan belt too, oh and about 13gal of antifreeze. Payed over $40 just to get rid of the old stuff. Most shops seem to charge well over $100/hr. I do my own...24hrs in and I almost finished.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #6
GKW

Maybe check and see if there are other truck mechanics in the area who could handle the job. Let them know you will furnish the new water pump but you need all the labor to pull the radiator, replace hoses and belts, replace coolant etc. and get an estimate. I'll bet it will be substantially less than $2,300
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How unfortunate that you do not have overhead access to the engine bay. On my MH the bed lifts to provide complete access to all engine components. The Antifreeze could be drained and recovered and pumped back into the cooling system.

If in fact the rear radiator must be removed then you are looking at a very substantial amount of labor.

Tags
leak, cummins