Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #15

Well Don, I think you're on the right track. If you like the rest of the coach walking away over this would be a mistake, IMHO,,,,,
I would however push for a cooling system flush and new OAT coolant installed as a condition of sale.

Good Luck. Hope it all comes together for you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Well Don, I think you're on the right track. If you like the rest of the coach walking away over this would be a mistake, IMHO,,,,,
I would however push for a cooling system flush and new OAT coolant installed as a condition of sale.

Good Luck. Hope it all comes together for you.
Yes to the flush being part of the deal and YES...this is the coach we have been waiting for!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
The coach was built with oat long life coolant, so basically there was no maintenance required at current mileage or age.... so I don't get the poor maintenance talk...
I still suspect a component failure, or wrong coolant added, or something happened roadside that comtaimented coolant and it was just topped off with the original owner thought was all good....

If the rest of coach is good, a flush and refill maybe all it needs.
The talk is proper maintenance using the proper fluids. If the coolant needed topping off due to evaporation or leakage and proper fluids were used why are there engine corrosion issues so early on? Somethings amiss.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
The talk is proper maintenance using the proper fluids. If the coolant needed topping off due to evaporation or leakage and proper fluids were used why are there engine corrosion issues so early on? Somethings amiss.
Because a previous component failure, say water pump or egr cooler that during failure puked into the cooling system.
.... maybe a roadside deal, incorrect coolant added as well....several things come to mind. .....but not topped off due to evaporation.

My point is if this OAT final charge, long life 100k coolant is so great, then yes your correct, there's corrosion, there's incorrect SCA, the report stated it was possible different coolant mixed....this engine has little mileage and is to new to have experienced poor coolant system maintenance. My gut says someone dropped the ball and trusted someone to do the right thing at some point.

It had to be a outside issue that caused it. With no maintenance/warranty records there's no way to tell.

I hope the OP updates this thread in a few months or so with the next coolant sample results.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I have asked Tom to pull reports and discuss with me and he has been helpful. Might not hurt to get his perspective on things.

Thomas L. (Tom) Johnson
President and Co-Founder
JG Lubricant Services, LLC
P.O. Box 622
Plainfield, IN 46168
Cell Phone: 317-430-3029
Old 06-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
I have asked Tom to pull reports and discuss with me and he has been helpful. Might not hurt to get his perspective on things.

Thomas L. (Tom) Johnson
President and Co-Founder
JG Lubricant Services, LLC
P.O. Box 622
Plainfield, IN 46168
Cell Phone: 317-430-3029
Best advice on this thread!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I've been pleased with the range of responses.

Obviously, there could be an underlying condition waiting to bite me in the butt. The hope is that an ESW will soften any impact. OTOH, I hope we find that previous work on components related to the cooling system were worked on and the sample's values are because of that. Or...it could be as simple as poorly managed coolant usage.

So...What do you think? I think I'm looking at it from a rational point of view but am I missing something that would change the equation?

Skyboss,
By "ESW" I assume you mean Extended Service Warranty. That being the case, don't you think the insurance company would reject any claim related to this issue because you had documented prior knowledge of a potential problem? Knowing how insurance companies operate, I would think that would be an easy out for them.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #22

Three year old coach? Something does not sound right.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #23

We don't have our coach yet as it is still being built, and I come from a boating background so this may not apply. But, boat heat exchangers have sacrificial zincs installed to stop corrosion issues due to dissimilar metals. Now this is largely because of the saltwater used on the other side of the dual wall exchanger but water heaters also can have a sacrificial anode. I know the one in our 5th wheel did and so does the instant water heater in our house.

Is it possible that there is a zinc anode in the system and this is a normal reading due to the anode doing it's job and dissolving?

Just a thought.
Boatworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Skyboss,
By "ESW" I assume you mean Extended Service Warranty. That being the case, don't you think the insurance company would reject any claim related to this issue because you had documented prior knowledge of a potential problem? Knowing how insurance companies operate, I would think that would be an easy out for them.
The samples are "off the books" because I did the samples. I and only I have them.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatworker View Post
Is it possible that there is a zinc anode in the system and this is a normal reading due to the anode doing it's job and dissolving?

Just a thought.
I don't think it applies here but appreciate the input.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Best advice on this thread!
I had a nice chat with Tom. I've also had a discussion with Freightliner service. The consensus is that the report findings just about cover it all and that means...who knows. LOL

Tom is a great person that has on more than one occasion given the personal touch to folks like us. That is why I have been using his service for over 5 years.