Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #1

What is the Maximum water pressure our RVs should operate on? Just installed a onboard ajustable regulator with gauge and am not sure if I can set it higher than the standard 38-40 range of the over the counter hose type regulators.

2006 Liberty Toad
Onthroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #2

What is the Maximum water pressure our RVs should operate on? Just installed a onboard ajustable regulator with gauge and am not sure if I can set it higher than the standard 38-40 range of the over the counter hose type regulators.

2006 Liberty Toad
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have always read that the standard regulator that comes with most coaches (the freebie brass shotgun shell looking one) is 40-45psi. I keep mine a bit higher at 45-50psi.

Have you checked for a recommendation in Mr. Manual?

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #4

The manual does not give a pressure amount, just to make sure to always use a regulator...
From 40-45 shouldn't hurt, I was hoping I could go higher to increase the water pressure. What is "Mr. Manual"

TKS, LarryD. 06 39L

2006 Liberty Toad
Old 05-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Onthroad, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. You will want to have the pressure regulator on the hose bibb feeding the hose connected to the RV since this is the weakest link. I use a Watts whole house regulator set at about 50 psi. The plumbing is the RV is probably good for 70 0r 80 psi; the pipe itself is good for 160 psi. Good luck with the regulator and let us know what else we might be able to help with.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #6

Thank you so much for your website and the quick response to my question. I have installed a guage and the regulator on my RV at the water in-let connection, where the water hose connects. Hope this is what you called the "Bibb".

Thank you,
Larry & Darlene

2006 Liberty Toad
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you can get to it easily, look at the output pressure printed on your onboard water pump, or read the manual. Mine is the Shur-flo 5900 Smart Sensor 5.7, the following statement is listed in the Installation & Operation Manual:

"¢ Pump shut-off pressure is 65 PSI [4.5 Bar]. System must be designed to handle 65 PSI [4.5 Bar].

Obviously this pressure is not normally reached, but I do know there is more pressure (flow) of water when using the pump then when hooked up to city water.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If the pump lists "shut-off pressure" as 65 psi, then this is the pressure in the line that the pressure switch, in the pump, will see before it shuts off. Therefor 65 psi is normaly reached whenever the pump is in use. I have used 65 psi on a on a Watts series N45B-M1 5/8" regulator (with dual filters and a 0-150 pressure gauge on the incoming line) for several years on both Fleetwood and Monaco units. So far no problems. Both Fleetwood and Monaco pressure test water lines over 65 psi. But anything can happen. If you operate over 55 psi be prepared.

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 05-01-2007, 05:10 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Onthroad:
Thank you so much for your website and the quick response to my question. I have installed a guage and the regulator on my RV at the water in-let connection, where the water hose connects. Hope this is what you called the "Bibb".

Thank you,
Larry & Darlene </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hose bibb mentioned is where your water hose connects to the RV park water supply. That way the hose is also protected from too much pressure.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

AS I understand it, RVIA standards require that RV water systems be pressure tested at 80 psi. I don't know if that means each RV is actually tested at that or whether that is a design spec.

I have my big external regulator set at 60 psi with no problems at all in three different coaches. Typical demand pumps run at about 45-48 psi and the variable speed pumps operate in a broader range of pressures, depending on demand. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, some operate to 65 psi.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #11

Great Informaion! Thanks to all for the tips, I feel a max safe is 60 and start testing with 55.

Thank You!
Larry & Darlene

2006 Liberty Toad