Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #15

I removed the carpet and vinyl from the living area, cockpitand bath and the steps but not the slide itself or the bedroom of my 37' fleetwood bounder and replaced with vinyl planking. I used double sided tape to give it extra security. In a house it just floats. It looks great and my cost was 700 Canadian. I replaced the Capet on the doghouse with new low pile carpet, like indoor outdoor. Use the old carpet for patterns. I glued the vertical areas of stairs and the doghouse with 3m 90 spray adhesive.
Looks great and you can replace planks if needed.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #16

As always this forum is awesome. Each response has been valuable. I am almost persuaded to install myself. Almost.
Thank you for the link to Lowe’s, Click lock vinyl. Very nice!
Just signed the contract on our new-to-us RV. Waiting for results of inspection.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschad View Post
I removed the carpet and vinyl from the living area, cockpitand bath and the steps but not the slide itself or the bedroom of my 37' fleetwood bounder and replaced with vinyl planking. I used double sided tape to give it extra security. In a house it just floats. It looks great and my cost was 700 Canadian. I replaced the Capet on the doghouse with new low pile carpet, like indoor outdoor. Use the old carpet for patterns. I glued the vertical areas of stairs and the doghouse with 3m 90 spray adhesive.
Looks great and you can replace planks if needed.

Do you have pictures? Would love to see them.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
A follow up to my previous post above. I did this sheet vinyl in my house. While I recommend click lock vinyl planks in a MH. If you really want sheet this one looks really nice.

Attachment 198589

Attachment 198588

Beautiful!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i have been researching and looking around. i incline with click lock vinyl planks. one thing stops me thus far - the color of vinyl is so limited and always dull, vs nice looking laminate and engineered wood.

still pending...
We did engineered wood. 4 slides and no scratches at all. It's not for everyone, but we like it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5790.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	198679
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
We did engineered wood. 4 slides and no scratches at all. It's not for everyone, but we like it.Attachment 198679
awesome! the color of flooring matches cabinets perfectly .
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
you can add wood to the slides
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09289.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	198689  
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
We did engineered wood. 4 slides and no scratches at all. It's not for everyone, but we like it.Attachment 198679
A lot depends on the mechanics of your slides. Mine have a full length strip under the leading edge with a curved, hard plastic insert that slides on the floor. One speck of gravel or sand and it will scratch any hard surface floor. With a Border Collie and a wheelchair, and the fact we mostly camp in rustic areas, sand and gravel is going to make it into our motorhome no matter how careful we are and, I confess, we are far from fastidious.

Although I'm a woodworker and would have loved engineered hardwood floors in our house, we installed luxury vinyl planking for the same reasons as above.

Based on esthetics, engineered hardwood wins hands-down, but one needs to take into account their lifestyle and the nature of their motorhome, especially older rigs that may be more susceptible to developing leaks here and there, particularly at the lower corners of the slide-out openings. Be aware that even the newer, so-called waterproof or water resistant laminates are only good for 24 to 48 hours of exposure to water. Engineered hardwood will absorb moisture as well. Only vinyl and carpeting will stand up to longer term exposure.

Engineered hardwood does have an advantage in that scratches are more easily repaired if they do occur.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
A lot depends on the mechanics of your slides. Mine have a full length strip under the leading edge with a curved, hard plastic insert that slides on the floor. One speck of gravel or sand and it will scratch any hard surface floor. With a Border Collie and a wheelchair, and the fact we mostly camp in rustic areas, sand and gravel is going to make it into our motorhome no matter how careful we are and, I confess, we are far from fastidious.

Although I'm a woodworker and would have loved engineered hardwood floors in our house, we installed luxury vinyl planking for the same reasons as above.

Based on esthetics, engineered hardwood wins hands-down, but one needs to take into account their lifestyle and the nature of their motorhome, especially older rigs that may be more susceptible to developing leaks here and there, particularly at the lower corners of the slide-out openings. Be aware that even the newer, so-called waterproof or water resistant laminates are only good for 24 to 48 hours of exposure to water. Engineered hardwood will absorb moisture as well. Only vinyl and carpeting will stand up to longer term exposure.

Engineered hardwood does have an advantage in that scratches are more easily repaired if they do occur.
You're absolutely right. We thought about the scratching issues for over a year. Every situation is different and everyone has different constraints.

I know if we still had the 2 Labrador retriever dogs, engineered wood would not have made the final list. They would have destroyed it it short order. (I think we would have put down plywood) LOL.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArch View Post
Question on the LVT and engineered wood - are these "floating" floors? I would like to replace the carpeted area in my coach including the walls in the entry stairwell. How would you attach these floors vertically or do I just use adhesive.
I would prefer not to use ceramic tile.
Definitely glued down and not floated. We had LVT installed in our coach over a year ago. Left carpeting in bedroom, drivers area and living room slide. Steps and main floor were LVT'd. Took about 12 hours of total labor including demo. Very satisfied but a couple of the planks have scratches from the slide. Easy to just remove the damaged plank and reinstall a new one. Just need a heat gun to loosen the glue.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:25 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Wbonsell - good to know - thanks. I will be replacing the frontend carpet with LVT very soon.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #26

We spent less than 1/2 your quote & more like under $2000.
We shopped at Lowe's to buy a real oak wood surface buying Mohawk #143310. We brought enough to floor from our bedroom in a 37' diesel pusher to the cockpit leaving a small amount of carpet for me-the driver 198 sq ft+ scrape. We found the best floor person in our town of 800k to lay the floor & paid him $450. He did an amazing job. I'm a woodworker by hobby so I bought unfinished oak molding, applied a matching stain (Minwax- Golden Oak #210b) after cutting the miters (45s) & to length, then applied two coats of polyurethane (S&W). Installed the molding predrilling, fastening with wire brads- setting, filling, then poly touch up.
I disassembled the the things needed removal from the coach floor area to re-floor & did the re-assembly. I had purchases the glue the installer directed, a rubber based brown. We used mineral spirits to remove any glue that got on the surface of the flooring. We did this upgrade 1-14-16 & used our coach on two major long trips. The Mohawk flooring shows no sign of wear & we are happy campers.
This is a worthy project upgrade. Good luck!!😊😊
Old 04-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
you can add wood to the slides
very nice. i have these photos saved that i like to do on mine. not sure if you did this

but i couldn't find this color/quality on lvt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor main.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	198886   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor recliner.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	198887  

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #28

We just finished putting down the Allure product. It is a 6 x 36 vinyl plank. I would suggest this product . Check it out before you make your choice.
Rp35j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, flooring, install