Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #43

I am currently using shops for the oil change so I have a record due to having an extended service policy. I don't want to give some lawyer, (no offense to lawyers) at the insurance company a chance to claim I was not doing the Cummins maintenance requirements. As soon as the service policy is over I'll tackle the job myself. Tough to get under some parts of the coach, they did not factor in my belly when they designed the frames. Man I wish I had a nice pit to work out of. Speedco did my last change, wasn't good, they mangled my water in fuel sensor bad. I was a couple thousand miles down the road by the time I found it. Going to Cummins this time to get hosed.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Cummins X-605 HP diesel pusher. SPEEDCO, Casa Grande

$380 for Fleetguard Oil Filter, Fleetguard Fuel Filter, 52 Quarts of Rotella T 15w40, lube all zerks, oil analysis on computer, about 1 hour time. No wait.

Can't beat that with a stick. I'll happily pay that amount to get it done on the road. ….

Gary

Just left Speedco, just for a ISX oil and filter change I stopped the price calculation at $450.00 and told them I would go elsewhere. Last year price was $275 and it included a lube job.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:10 AM   #45

I started this thread in disgust and with the hopes that others would feel the same but it would seem that some are content with paying a senior toy tax. Changing oil on one of these is a simple task and one that should not leave us as prey at any local shop. I can easily change my filter and oil in the diesel in less than 30 minutes. Have my own 5 gallon bucket with lid and access to a local metal shop that would love to have my oil to burn in their heater to heat their shop.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:00 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
First I can not believe a person would purchase a pusher with out checking on the cost to maintain the unit. Now my ISL held 5 gallons of oil the cost depends on what brand of oil, the filter extended one cost 65.00 plus tax. The generator less than a gallon and filter 10.00. hold on to your wallet when you go to change the transmission filters and fuel filters. Owning a pusher can be costly if you maintain it properly. More than likely you only change your oil and filter once a year, generator every other year. so it's not that bad. I drove a pusher for over 19 years and did my owner servicing because I wanted it done right. I had a free one when I brought my first one and checked it they forgot lube fittings, didn't torque the drain plug so I had a small drip. Just poor service by a Lube tech, never again. Now if you think a oil filter change is bad hold on to your wallet when you go buy tires, front end alignment, repack you bearings and balance the tires. Every five years.
habu978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #47

Cost of doing business

Oil $$$, filters $$$, that's all it will cost you if you do the work. However, legitimate businesses must cover all the overhead costs (rent, taxes, staff, insurance, etc so the bill goes up.

They must recoup their investment and they are in business to make some profit.

All this adds up to the ridiculous prices quoted. When a shop gives you a overly high price shop around, spend an hour making some calls. You will find a hungry business that will do the same good job for less. Many business are just plain greedy and rely on people accepting the quote and just saying "OK".

This is the same complaint we hear about over priced campgrounds: $3 of electric, $1 for water so why is a campground $45 ??????
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #48

Ain't feeling the "Loves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Speedco is now Loves and prices are significantly higher including an RV upcharge of about $75.
And, if my recent experience is any indication, increasingly incompetent.

Yesterday I called ahead to confirm that the SpeedCo on my route had all the necessary filters for my rig. After about 15 minutes on the phone they confirmed that they did.

So I vectored off my route to SpeedCo, detached the TOAD, waited half an hour for an empty bay, pulled in "the wrong way" per their request (because the engine is in the back, obvs...) and then...

After the rig sat in the bay for nearly an hour I was told, we don't have filters. Not for the tranny. Not for the genny. Not for the engine. No air filters, no fuel filters, no oil filters, nothing.

(There's a couple hours of my life I ain't never getting back!)

Ordinarily I'd chalk this up to "just one of those things" but talking with the guys in the shop they were pretty clear that Loves, as a matter of corporate policy, doesn't welcome RVs; they're not restocking common RV parts as a corporate practice. In fact, they mentioned to me that several of the "orphan" Big Rigs are having parts inventory issues since supply replenishment is handled now in the central office, and not by the local stores (who best know their customer needs).

As a kicker, I asked them if they could at least check my tires and ensure they're inflated to 125PSI. I was told that their compressor topped out at around 100.

I don't know for fact that any of the above is absolute truth about Loves' business strategy, but my experience suggests that they wish we'd take our land yachts somewhere else.

(Coincidentally, of the three bays at this SpeedCo, two were closed, and there was absolutely no line for the one that was open. So... apparently business is down, across the board.)
simssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmen Joe View Post
So far I have been priced from $399-500.00 for a simple oil and filter change on the Cummins 5.9 ISB engine and what I assume to be an oil filter and oil change on the propane generator.

What in God's name am I missing? Maybe $20 for an oil filter and 17-19 qts of oil 15W-40 grade. Haven't checked into the generator yet....maybe 5qts of oil and a $10 filter?

What makes it so expensive? I have a shop that will take the oil so they can burn it in their heating system. Five minutes to pull the filter, 3 minutes to put oil in the new filter and screw it back on. Maybe 10 minutes to drain the pan. Another 10 to put oil in the engine.

Get thee to a Goodyear tire and SERVICE center, many located in truck stops on interstates. My Cummins 8.8 400hp was under $200 for 7 gallons of oil, oil filter and fuel water separator with full chassis inspection and lube. I ignored my own experience and was charged $300 labor (!!) for the oil change, not an unreasonable amount for the oil, but I had given them a set of filters so the overall price was an outrage. Also beware of Camping World's generator service - $159 for a gas model, more for diesel, but it's 3 quarts of oil and a $6 filter which should cost about $40. The genset is easy to do myself but the Cummins not so much. Peter
PeterFTH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So for $150+ parts and $300+ savings, WHY would you NOT do such a job yourself?
Old 03-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
Oil $$$, filters $$$, that's all it will cost you if you do the work. However, legitimate businesses must cover all the overhead costs (rent, taxes, staff, insurance, etc so the bill goes up.

They must recoup their investment and they are in business to make some profit.

All this adds up to the ridiculous prices quoted. When a shop gives you a overly high price shop around, spend an hour making some calls. You will find a hungry business that will do the same good job for less. Many business are just plain greedy and rely on people accepting the quote and just saying "OK".

This is the same complaint we hear about over priced campgrounds: $3 of electric, $1 for water so why is a campground $45 ??????
Pretty much comes down to what the campground or shop can get by with and some do for quite awhile and others go out of business or change hands
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #52

Oil and Filters change

My generator shut down and gave me an error code so I went to Cummins Sales and Service in Tampa for the annual service. They couldn't reproduce the generator problem so nothing resolved there. I just picked up the coach.

Parts for oil and filters for engine and generator was $294. I did not change the engine air filter which is about $180. Labor at $160 per hour for an RV was $795 plus $86 for miscellaneous.

I've used local service places that are less expensive, but still pricey.

I could easily do the genny, but I've always resisted tackling the engine oil and filters. Maybe next time.
cpp8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #53

Cost of an oil and filter change, generator oil and filter change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
So for $150+ parts and $300+ savings, WHY would you NOT do such a job yourself?

Everyone has reasons. I’m no longer “wrench capable”.
Speedco has never failed me, and being full time RVers, once per year is not expensive for me. Heck, amortized it’s less than 10 bucks per week!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #54

Just called Cummins in Tucson 05 Monaco 5.9L 36PDQ DP
Quote: $360 for Oil and air and oil filters and lube
Only need 24 hr notice for an appointment.
ronbunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbunge View Post
that's probably not too bad, I know my air filter is $140.00 and not a lot of fun to change then oil and filters $110.00
Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbunge View Post

Yes, nice price!
At Speedco I get 2 fuel filters, oil & filter, oil analysis, full lube, witness torquing of oil plug, but no air filter (only needed every 3 years).
Speedco is always on our travel routes, and have always been available.
Some Speedco shops may not be up to par. I always check reviews, and call ahead.
YMMV, but this fits my travel style
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator