Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #1

Cost of class A oil change

Does anyone have an idea what an oil change for our Monaco might run? And a service on the generator (oil and filter). First time for our MH.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #2

It depends on who does it. If you have a Speedco close to you, that will be your best price. Your '07 Exec has either a Cummins ISM or ISX. Both will be around $250-275 for L/O/F services at Speedco.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
It depends on who does it. If you have a Speedco close to you, that will be your best price. Your '07 Exec has either a Cummins ISM or ISX. Both will be around $250-275 for L/O/F services at Speedco.
Thank you! This will be our first and didn't know what to expect.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Here is a link to Speedco.

http://www.speedco.com/Lube-Services_fd97c2.html

Yours will by somewhat higher than the heavy duty PM because both the ISM & ISX hold considerable more oil than the engines listed. I recommend you start an oil sample testing program so you will be aware of the general health of your engine. Same for the transmission.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #5

What do you recommend to start a testing program.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

I am assuming you mean oil analysis. Unless your running super high mileage and don't want to take the time to look at your own oil, forget it. Take a clean paper towel, allow one drop from your dipstick, if the drop spreads out quickly, the fuel is diluted with fuel which occurs if you idle a lot. Under normal circumstances and without abuse, you and I will never wear out our diesels.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear
What do you recommend to start a testing program.
There are a number of testing labs who can supply you with sampling supplies and procedures.

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/

JG is run by the retired Allison engineer who wrote the TES295 spec that Transynd meets. I use them exclusively for transmission fluid testing. Go to the Allison Transmission forum & read the thread started by Tom Johnson. It's very educational.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Blackstone is the lab I was using for engine oil testing before I knew about JG. I still use them for engine oil because they have my engine testing history.

Both of these are good choices.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

Sounds great then! This is lots of help. Thank you!!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
When I go to Speedco I have them do an oil analysis that's done before the coach is done in the bay. They give me a printout and have my test on file for comparison.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
YC1

Out here in Kalifornia it cost about $400

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Keep in mind that this is Speedco prices (which is typically the cheapest place to get it done). If you don't have a Speedco around, it will probably be more.

Also, I think your transmission fluid should be changed every year (unless you know it has TranSynd which pushes the service interval to 4) (I actually thought it was every 2 year but I just noticed something that said 'non TranSynd' is 12 months interval). I think the tranny service is not cheap. TranSynd is about $40/gal and I think you need about 8 gallons - non TranSynd is maybe 1/3 or 1/2 the price. You also need to change the trans filter (no idea how much that is) - for non-TranSynd every 12 months, for TranSynd every 36 months.

(here's the reference I used for the intervals: http://www.rvmobilelube.com/1099c.pdf)

Hope this helps
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb
Keep in mind that this is Speedco prices (which is typically the cheapest place to get it done). If you don't have a Speedco around, it will probably be more.

Also, I think your transmission fluid should be changed every year (unless you know it has TranSynd which pushes the service interval to 4) (I actually thought it was every 2 year but I just noticed something that said 'non TranSynd' is 12 months interval). I think the tranny service is not cheap. TranSynd is about $40/gal and I think you need about 8 gallons - non TranSynd is maybe 1/3 or 1/2 the price. You also need to change the trans filter (no idea how much that is) - for non-TranSynd every 12 months, for TranSynd every 36 months.

(here's the reference I used for the intervals: http://www.rvmobilelube.com/1099c.pdf)

Hope this helps
This is a good post. Transmission service is over looked by many motorhome owners because there seems to be a feeling out there, fed some what by glib salesmen that these transmissions don't need service for 100s of thousands of miles. This is NOT TRUE!

There are 2 service schedules depending on the specification of the fluid being used. Dexron III is no longer licensed by GM. If you are using and want to continue using a non synthetic fluid then you should look for a "TES389" specification. With this fluid, the filters and fluid should be changed annually. Allison considers motorhome use to be sevier duty. If you are using synthetic fluid then look for a TES295" specification. The original formulated for Allison is Transynd. Allison has a list of fluids approved by them on their web site. With this fluid, the filters should be changed at 36 months and the fluid at 48 months. Allison allows the fluid interval to be extended with sample testing.

The old requirement of an initial main filter change at 5,000 miles is no longer valid. Allison dropped that requirement when they introduced the current high capacity filters.

I have an Allison 4000 and I service it myself. I change the filters at 36 months at which time I send a sample of fluid to JG Lube Services for testing. If good, I will continue testing fluid samples annually and changing the filters every 36 months.

Be aware, if you currently have a TES389 fluid and you want to change to TES295 fluid it will take 2 complete fluid/filter changes before you can use the longer maintenance schedule.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #13

I do it myself, so only cost of oil and filter - less than $50.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The 07 Executive definitely has Transynd in the Allison tranny, so the normal replacement interval would be 48 months, with new filters every 24 months. But a program of annual fluid analysis for the transmission would probably show that it does not need replacement for several years are longer.

I'm starting the 9th year on mine and it still tests fine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote