Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #29

I might just be lucky, but maintenance on my 23 year old Navigator has been almost nothing thus far...and I tend toward the anal side as far as Preventive Maintenance, Checks, and Services (PMCS) goes.

Either International or Kenworth can do the Spartan chassis service. For filters, oil, and lube, I've done it twice since last October (when I bought it). Both times it was under $200. My genset had a filter and fluids change at my hand, for under $40.

As far as fuel, if my math is correct, we seem to be getting around 9-12 mpg combined. Since petrol (gasoline) is $2.70/gal and diesel is $3.15/gal around here, we're getting ALMOST the same punch per penny as our 2000 Tahoe...hauling around almost FIVE TIMES the mass. We've actually been using the motorhome for longer grocery and other shopping trips, since there's not much around our house until you get around the Caldwell/Nampa/Boise area. Winterizing? Tires getting a flat spot from sitting? Don't make me laugh.

A lot of your concern is going to be assuaged by ONE, doing your homework on new and used coaches, TWO, seeing a few with a competent mechanical rascal in tow, and THREE, driving a bona fide GOOD coach to see how everything should feel. I can tell you it was unbelievably awesome that I drive buses for a living--I was able to ascertain whether the chassis aspect of the Argo was any good, or if it was an automatic 'walk off the lot' deal.

Don't be scared off by stories of second mortgages and the like for an oil change...do your due diligence, remember that new and shiny is NOT synonymous with reliable or high quality, and you should do just fine.

Good luck!
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It certainly runs up the cost over a gas chassis. That is why I keep pointing folks with shallow pockets at a gasser instead of an older diesel.

My mech on my gasser is a diesel coach mech primarily. We talked about the expenses because I had originally looked at diesel coaches. After taking about our travel habits and the fact that we still work full time and cant get away on long vacations very often we would be better served by a gas coach.

FWIW to have him go through the new coach mechanically, the suspension and drive train, change the engine oil and generator oil and air filters check all the fluids it was $350. He told me that wouldn't even get an oil change on a diesel. I don't remember what he told me it would run to do all the maintenance and checks on a diesel but it was enough to cause me to go

A replacement workhorse 8.1 engine is under $5K plus installation and other bits and pieces but you get the idea.

And don't forget the cost of DEF on a newer rig.

I have a casual work friend that lets his diesel sit. Costs him $1400 every time he gets it out of the mothballs. I didn't get into what was involved but I know from experience gas rigs are more tolerant of that. You cant let a diesel sit unused for months without paying for it.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post

My mech on my gasser is a diesel coach mech primarily. We talked about the expenses because I had originally looked at diesel coaches. After taking about our travel habits and the fact that we still work full time and cant get away on long vacations very often we would be better served by a gas coach.

FWIW to have him go through the new coach mechanically, the suspension and drive train, change the engine oil and generator oil and air filters check all the fluids it was $350. He told me that wouldn't even get an oil change on a diesel. I don't remember what he told me it would run to do all the maintenance and checks on a diesel but it was enough to cause me to go

A replacement workhorse 8.1 engine is under $5K plus installation and other bits and pieces but you get the idea.

And don't forget the cost of DEF on a newer rig.

I have a casual work friend that lets his diesel sit. Costs him $1400 every time he gets it out of the mothballs. I didn't get into what was involved but I know from experience gas rigs are more tolerant of that. You cant let a diesel sit unused for months without paying for it.
Diesel farm equipment sits for many months...no ill effect.

Shelf life for diesel is quite long....gasoline not so much!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Diesel farm equipment sits for many months...no ill effect.

Shelf life for diesel is quite long....gasoline not so much!
Not so much about the fuel.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
This is getting SNL type funny !
Carry on.....
Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #34

Bought my used Class A Diesel last Feb in Phoenix. Went on the road for the summer and got back to Phoenix in Oct. Took the RV to Massey Diesel in Phoenix for annual service, oil change etc. Cost was $850 including the generator service. Spent another $195 on the Aqua Hot annual service. Then my transfer switch went out and cost me $575. Next the 3 Aqua Hot pumps went and cost me $975. Next the batteries would not hold a charge. Replaced all 6 at $300 apiece plus $200 for labor = $2000. Now I’m replacing my cracked windshield costing me my $1000 deductible. Haven’t even got to replacing the tires in the near future
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Bought my used Class A Diesel last Feb in Phoenix. Went on the road for the summer and got back to Phoenix in Oct. Took the RV to Massey Diesel in Phoenix for annual service, oil change etc. Cost was $850 including the generator service. Spent another $195 on the Aqua Hot annual service. Then my transfer switch went out and cost me $575. Next the 3 Aqua Hot pumps went and cost me $975. Next the batteries would not hold a charge. Replaced all 6 at $300 apiece plus $200 for labor = $2000. Now I’m replacing my cracked windshield costing me my $1000 deductible. Haven’t even got to replacing the tires in the near future
They took you to the cleaners on the engine and generator service. The most I've paid for complete engine, generator with all wet filters and lube service was under $500. That's the difference between the big shops in a big city vs a competent qualified shop in a rural area.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Transfer switch, batteries, windshield and tires are not diesel specific issues. Many DP's do not have Aqua Hot systems. The more gizmos and convenience features on any coach, gas or diesel, the greater the likelihood of a costly malfunction.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 AM   #37

Pros and Cons:

Had gas and diesel. Loved em both.
And I’m spoiled, so diesel, air ride, and huge storage won me over.
The difference twixed the two is chump change if they are treated good.
Happy trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
2010 43’ Allegro Bus. I budget $4000 annual for maintenance

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I liken it to comparing a 900 sq foot house and a 1600 sq foot house. Invariably the larger house will cost more for maintenance, repairs and upkeep.

Which house fits your needs and wants the best? Which can you afford or justify?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsponchos View Post
2010 43’ Allegro Bus. I budget $4000 annual for maintenance
Just curious. We have a 2013 Bus and our annual cost is below $1000. I should actually add $800 annually for the replacement of tires every 7 years, but still short of $4000. Are you including fuel??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Just curious. We have a 2013 Bus and our annual cost is below $1000. I should actually add $800 annually for the replacement of tires every 7 years, but still short of $4000. Are you including fuel??
Yeah, I'm wondering what all folks are including in their 'scary sticker shock' figures.
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Spent a total of 1100 in repairs for my ISC (just hoses really). And about 600 in maint. Nothing else.
Just runs.
Put 7K miles on it since purchase. Avg about 9mpg.

Tags
diesel, class a