RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #43

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Good question!
The way it was explained to me when I was taking my air brake coarse was, hyd brakes are more fool proof, but not adaquate to stopping heavy loads. Air system works best for heavy vehichles, but more complicated.
OK, while we're going with that, what's the most important thing I should be concerning myself with, when driving my air brake rig?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
OK, while we're going with that, what's the most important thing I should be concerning myself with, when driving my air brake rig?
Ensuring you have air pressure, not pumping the brakes, using your jake brake (or similar) on grades, draining tanks, (unlesss you have an air dryer).
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #45

Quote:
My question is as to why, one is required to know, how air brakes work, but it's OK to be clueless to how, hydraulic brakes work? Now, there's where some schooling might be worthwhile, considering how many have boiled their fluid, descending mountains. Then we have air over hydraulic to study up on, as well!
Don't think FL US, requires it and these are the first, we've ever had, so...... not sure what I need to know, other than what I know already, or with what logic might dictate.
Because hydraulic brakes are simple and require little if any knwledge to ensure proper function. Air brakes on the other hand, require more operator input, such as draining tanks, ensuring pressure is available, not pumping the brakes, employing exhaust brakes (due to no transmission downshifting in diesels), air dryers, and so on.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #46

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
Ensuring you have air pressure, not pumping the brakes, using your jake brake (or similar) on grades, draining tanks, (unlesss you have an air dryer).
OK, we have all that covered and just changed out my air dryer, without knowing it's age. Also bleed the tanks on occasion, even though I think I have autos. Whatever the case, I've never seen any moisture, anywhere.
Pac exhaust brake, is always on and never turn it off. I've gotten really good at feathering the pedal, so as to not, constantly be actuating it.
Never pump any kind of brakes, as a matter of habit, would be my thoughts and especially when descending steep grades.
Again, there really needs to be a school on hyd. brakes and with changing out old fluid and how to properly descend steep grades, so not to overheat them and especially to the point of boiling the fluid.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Chris,

Yes, shortly after that post last year I also got the letter. Will be faced with another medical this year. With my renewal in December should get the paperwork and medical done prior to heading south in November.
Don;
It seems that the documentation does not state at what time the the medical will be required. Renewal, birthday or some random date chosen by the province . Don't forget that a normal "D" renewal did not require a medical, though logically it should happen for you in December.

I'm just concerned that if I decide to go to the US for Nov to early April, I'll get the letter for renewal during that time frame. What would a snow-birder do? Drive/fly back for a medical and then return? Could get expensive.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The pre-trip test insures your air brake system is operating correctly, compressor maintains pressure and no leak down. Loss of air pressure while driving will result in the rear brakes being firmly applied, and which you do not control. (ever notice the double wheel skid marks on the highway going to the shoulder)
Pulling the yellow parking button dumps the air pressure and applies these same spring brakes to the rear wheels.
Pumping the brake pedal may bleed the system faster than the compressor can keep up.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
The pre-trip test insures your air brake system is operating correctly, compressor maintains pressure and no leak down. Loss of air pressure while driving will result in the rear brakes being firmly applied, and which you do not control. (ever notice the double wheel skid marks on the highway going to the shoulder)
Pulling the yellow parking button dumps the air pressure and applies these same spring brakes to the rear wheels.
Pumping the brake pedal may bleed the system faster than the compressor can keep up.
Double skid marks are NOT from RVs or straight trucks & tractors, having the spring brakes come on.

Most double skids are from empty trailers that have a air line fall off or the driver poping the brake, because its not his tires.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #50
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Double skid marks are NOT from RVs or straight trucks & tractors, having the spring brakes come on.

Most double skids are from empty trailers that have a air line fall off or the driver poping the brake, because its not his tires.
Yeah, it's almost always a trailer.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #51

Freightliner Owners Club
twinboat & barmcd- Comment was to illustrate that trailer brakes work on the same principle and a brake chamber applies the brakes when they lose air pressure. Someone not familiar with air brakes might not realize or anticipate what occurs when air pressure is lost.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, test