Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I took the test and did good but did not study.
here is my score
100% were graded 'Not bad! '

Now I will ask my wife to take the test. She is not mechanically inclined and I don't think she knows anything about the air brake system or any brake system except how to use it by pressing on the brake pedal. She is an excellent driver and I don't believe that knowing anything about any brake system makes you a better driver/operator.
Maybe not a better driver, but knowing what to do if the low air alarm comes on for example, and what it means is important. As stated on another thread, not to continuously pump the brakes like a hydraulic brake. What your air pressures should be ect ect ect. If you are driving an air system, it is good practice to know for safety reasons. Thats why I thought this might be a fun way to get the info out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #30

Pin This Thread For Safety

Not sure how to flag this for a mod to consider pinning to the first page as this is safety related and anyone visiting this forum should be aware of this need.

While many who have replied to this thread have done so due to Canadian requirements, this really aplloes to all,of us using rigs with air brake systems.

The first page had fhe best written out instructions by @hooligan.

Here is a short video I found almost as good as the written instructions.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #31

Got my Class B CDL with air brakes in order to work for a major dealer moving motorhomes.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #32

As others have noted, I was required to get my air brake endorsement, as it is law in BC (and most of Canada). It was a weekend course which required a practical exam, where we had to do a brake check, etc on a Kenworth. After completing the course and practical, (299 dollars), I then had to attend the DMV and do the written exam (another 50 bucks or so), which required an 85% pass mark. I passed, but what ticked me off, was that 90% of the questions pertained more to semi tractors and trailers. Maybe 2 or 3 questions had anything to do with RV systems in general. An air brake course geared towards RV's would be far more value than what I completed. Just another tax grab.

It should be noted that, many class A owners mistakenly believe that because their moho is an air over hydraulic system, they don't officially classify as airbrakes. That is false. If your brake pedal is a treadle valve (metal pedal hinged at the base), it's an airbrake system. The pedal provides air to the master cylinder which then activates the hydraulics to the calipers and or drums.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #33

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
It should be noted that, many class A owners mistakenly believe that because their moho is an air over hydraulic system, they don't officially classify as airbrakes. That is false. If your brake pedal is a treadle valve (metal pedal hinged at the base), it's an airbrake system. The pedal provides air to the master cylinder which then activates the hydraulics to the calipers and or drums.
Not always the case.

My coach has 100% air brakes, and I have adjustable pedals which hang down, just like most automobiles!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Not always the case.

My coach has 100% air brakes, and I have adjustable pedals which hang down, just like most automobiles!
Yes, but it's still a treadle valve pedal. I'll adjust my post.

On edit: Apparently unable to edit after 60 minutes. SILLY!
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
As others have noted, I was required to get my air brake endorsement, as it is law in BC (and most of Canada). It was a weekend course which required a practical exam, where we had to do a brake check, etc on a Kenworth. After completing the course and practical, (299 dollars), I then had to attend the DMV and do the written exam (another 50 bucks or so), which required an 85% pass mark. I passed, but what ticked me off, was that 90% of the questions pertained more to semi tractors and trailers. Maybe 2 or 3 questions had anything to do with RV systems in general. An air brake course geared towards RV's would be far more value than what I completed. Just another tax grab.

Perhaps things have changed recently in BC.
I just took the Air brake course here in Vernon last weekend and cost me $195 Cdn.
Wrote the ICBC online exam Monday, the pass mark was 80% and cost me just $17 for a new license with the air endorsement.
Most of the questions were general air brake questions, not tractor/trailer specific.

Our instructor told us ICBC has a pool of 509 questions for air brakes, of which they test you on 24 random questions and if you get 80% before the last question, you pass and the test ends.

Pete
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #36

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
The "D" is a licence class/category not an endorsement. This licence even for a motor home requires an initial medical, written exams (3 including the air brake exam) and a road test. I don't think any retesting needs to be done until age 80.
The yearly medical for over 65 and "D" class (sorry for the term endorsement) is a new requirement this year according to the letter I got. And at 80 you require the medical, written, visual and road test.

Here's copy of the new medical requirements for D class as of Jul 1st 2018.
Medical Requirements
Class D licence holders under the age of 46 are required to submit a Medical Report every five (5) years
Class D licence holders between the ages of 46 and 64 are required to submit a Medical Report every three (3) years, and
Class D licence holders age 65 and older are required to submit an annual Medical Report
New Class D Licence Renewal Requirements and Medical Requirements

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a Texas Class B exempt license to drive my motor home with air brakes. There is no requirement to take an air brake test, either written or practical, although there are some questions about air brakes on the 20 question written test you have to take.

Your rig has to pass the air brake test when you take the driving test, but the examiner talks you through it. It's pretty easy to remember what you're testing for, if not the exact order to do the tests to minimize the time you are refilling the air tanks.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Since I didn't want to hi-jack this thread I started a new one concerning the new Ontario medical requirements for D class licenses.

It has the potential to be a real headache for MH owners who snowbird

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
The yearly medical for over 65 and "D" class (sorry for the term endorsement) is a new requirement this year according to the letter I got. And at 80 you require the medical, written, visual and road test.

Here's copy of the new medical requirements for D class as of Jul 1st 2018.
Medical Requirements
Class D licence holders under the age of 46 are required to submit a Medical Report every five (5) years
Class D licence holders between the ages of 46 and 64 are required to submit a Medical Report every three (3) years, and
Class D licence holders age 65 and older are required to submit an annual Medical Report
New Class D Licence Renewal Requirements and Medical Requirements

Chris
Chris,

Yes, shortly after that post last year I also got the letter. Will be faced with another medical this year. With my renewal in December should get the paperwork and medical done prior to heading south in November.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I took the "Z" air brake endorsement course over the past weekend and found it quite interesting. I had driven air brakes over 40 years ago, but it all seemed foreign to me......memory loss. LOL

Out of 13 taking the course 3 failed and all three drove transport trucks for a living.

They were taking the 5 year update.

But I just discovered the other day that because of the size/weight of the MH and the car that comes with it, I need to get a "D" endorsement.

And to get this you need to haver the vehicle that you will drive available for the road test, so I have decided I will take the course and test next spring....because in addition I need to have a complete physical/medical done by my GP with in 3 months of the test, so I've been told.

I don't even have the MH yet as the seller is in hospital fighting prostate cancer. I hope he pulls through.
Farkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #41

American Coach Owners Club
My question is as to why, one is required to know, how air brakes work, but it's OK to be clueless to how, hydraulic brakes work? Now, there's where some schooling might be worthwhile, considering how many have boiled their fluid, descending mountains. Then we have air over hydraulic to study up on, as well!
Don't think FL US, requires it and these are the first, we've ever had, so...... not sure what I need to know, other than what I know already, or with what logic might dictate.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #42

Good question!
The way it was explained to me when I was taking my air brake coarse was, hyd brakes are more fool proof, but not adaquate to stopping heavy loads. Air system works best for heavy vehichles, but more complicated.

Tags
brake, test