Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

Country Coach Freedom 20 Charger (1997)

My Freedom 20 charger has worked great for years, charging house batts and chassis battery. I suspect there is a new problem, but I need to know what Country Coach adds to the system to allow the chassis battery to charge. I know that it is not in parallel with the house batteries, and it is handled differently. But I have no visibility into what they do to 'trickle charge' that chassis battery from shore power. Any know how Country Coach was handling that in 1997?
Country Coach Allure
8D AGM Batteries about 5 years old.
mharner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I do not know what CC was doing in 1997 on an Allure.

My rig had no shore power to chassis battery charging capability from the Factory.

I added a Trik-L-Start gizmo to facilitate that capability.

TRIK-L-START
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that it does charge the chassis batteries, but don't have knowledge of that specific CC year & model. Most did not.

The Freedom inverter/charger would normally be wired in parallel with the house batteries (but you say yours is not?), but the entire house system is usually isolated form the chassis 12v system & batteries. That's to prevent the house 12v loads from draining the chassis battery so the engine can't start. Some makes/models provide an extra battery charge controller that cross-connects house and chassis for charging as needed, but as far as I know earlier CC models did not do that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

I have no knowledge of the 97 but on my 05 there is an Echo Charger above the chassis battery on the sidewall of compartment. I do know they go bad and are also fused. You may have one too?

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 05-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Community Moderator

my coach is 3 years newer, may or may not be the same... my charging process is taking place in this order:
1) 20d will charge house batteries and chassis battery concurrently
2) trickle charger is connected to chassis battery only; after chassis battery is full, it will flow over to house batteries.
3) generator will output 6a to charge house and chassis batteries at the same time
4) alternator will charge chassis and house batteries at the same time
5) my solar is connected to house batteries only, however, it will flow over to chassis, i suspect it will do so only when house batteries are full (there was a case that the chassis battery was starved to death while house batteries were fine over an extended period on solar only in a winter).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Adding an Trik-L-Charge, Xantrax Echo Charger, or Magnum Smart Combiner is the ideal solution, whether the original lacks charging for chasssi, or it no longer works.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #7

WE had Country Coach add an Echo charger right after we bought the coach in 2001.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Community Moderator

don't know when it started, my coach comes with trickle charger from manufacturer (there is a section about it in coach manual).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote