Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

Couple of our tires leaking down - Cold Weather

So, two or three of our tires leak down over time. It rarely happens during summer, but has from time to time. But, they definitely leak down during the cold temperatures of winter (like now) from 100lbs to 40lbs or less in a few weeks. They have done this with two different sets of tires over the five years we have owned it.

Recently someone suggested that we put the levelers down to get some of the weight off the tires and maybe they wouldn't leak down so fast. The idea sounds okay, but not sure if the levelers should be in use for 3 months at a stretch...

What do you think? Thanks.
rvmorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You've got a pretty good leak. Having it occur on two different sets of tires would point to leaking rims or stems.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Leaving the jacks down should not be a problem, lots of folks do it. However, losing up to 60 psi from your tires is not good. It could be as simple as a loose valve core or bad valve core. More serious could be bad/loose valve stems, a pin hole leak in the tire or something else. You may need to go to a tire shop and have them thoroughly checked to include dismounting.

Added: I missed the duration and several sets of tires. Don probably diagnosed it correctly, rim problems.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not normal or something to be worked around. Suggest to have a competent truck tire shop review and fix.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
rkf

I'm with vsheetz NOT normal get them fixed. You could crash???
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X3.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #7

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Steel or alloy wheels. Alloy wheels tend to be more prone to bead leaks as the alloy corrodes. Cold temps makes the rubber less pliable. Inflate them and use some soapy water around the rim of the wheel. Look for bubbles. If the beads are leaking the tires should be dismounted and the bead seating area of the wheel cleaned usually with a wire wheel. The tire beads should also be wiped down and checked for embedded material.

Check the valve stems and take off the caps and check the a schrader valve with soapy water. Blow the soapy water out of the core area by depressing the valve before putting the cap back on. If the stems are leaking you may be able to stop the leak by tightening the nut on the stem. Schrader valves can also be tightened, if still leaking they may need to be replaced. You'll need a valve core tool or a metal cap that has the slot for the valve core. The plastic variety caps with the slot will not get the job done.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #8

Do you have valve extension s that you have used on both sets of tires? They are notorious for leaking.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Do you have valve extension s that you have used on both sets of tires? They are notorious for leaking.
Yes they are!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

No this is not normal. Also, each time the air is deflated by that amount the sidewall of the tire is being degraded.
I would not delay to get this now not yesterday. I want to get the full amount of life the tire was designed for never mind the safety concerns. But that's just the frugal and safety in me.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AEON insurance also suggests Jacks Down for winter storage.

Some physics
First Tire pressure will go down in the COLD, this is normal and due to the fact that AIR expands and contractrs faster than Tires due to heat..

Second: Tires are not "Air Tight" they are slightly permeable to the smaller molicules in air so they do loose Pressure. This is normal.

Short story and theory: Remember the Ford Roll-a-matics (Explorers with Firestone Tires)... Well. here is my theory of how that came about.

Mr. and Mrs. Yuppie buy the Ford Exploader cause that's the Yuppie car.. Well Ford, knowing that folks were buying this truck to replace the family "Grocery Getter" Station wagon suggested running the tires 5 PSI low to soften the ride (One of the primary causes of early tire failure is low pressure) But Mr. Yuppie, well he's a "point and shoot" driver, he is not really an "Operator" and knows only that "new tires don't leak" Except. they do, (An Operator knows that) so he never checks tire pressure. and the oil change technician at the last lube job.. Likewise, he was busy and skipped the tire pressure check. So he's not running 5 PSI low, He's running 5 PSI.

Now tire meeds (voice of doom on) THE POT HOLE (end voice of doom) And the rim goes straight the sidewall, for there is no place else for it to go.

NOW.. Recall Mr. Yuppies is not an "operator" he's never watched "These videos may save your life" (Elsewhere on the RV forums) so naturall he stands on the brakes with both feet.. What is #1 on the list of things NOT to do when you have a flat? If you guessed Standing on the brakes you are either smarter than Mr. Yuppie or you watched the video I just referenced.. What's #2 on that list? Roll over and die of course.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
but not sure if the levelers should be in use for 3 months at a stretch...
For 14 years now my jacks have been down for 7 months straight every year.
And in summer for 3 months.

Also Goodyear recommends to add 20% more air to the tires while sitting a long time.
I always bump my usual 100 PSI up to 120 PSI in winter. Then it makes them easy to drop back to 100 even with a little loss. Without getting the air compressor back out.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #13

I took one of the two leaking tires into a commercial truck tire shop last week. They found the leak was from around the bead and the wheel. They told me it looked like there was power (from the tire balancing power used prior) on the bead of the tire that was keeping it from having a proper seal. They cleaned that up, re-mounted the tire. It's fixed!
rvmorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
It is fairly common. A company I worked for used to park it 10 trucks for winter. When we went to work in spring we would have to air check them all. Some were goo and some were bad.
On my coach with the Goodyears it had on it I had a couple that would lose air over time. I found if I drove it at least once a month it was good.

I now have a set of Firestones and when they were installed I made sure they checked and cleaned the wheels properly. I haven't had any problem since. I am not bashing Goodyear.

Tags
cold weather, leak, tires