Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 08:12 PM   #1

Couple of questions

Ok we had a 27 ft Winnebago Vista A
It had a 30 amp service , single roof ac and fridge that was propane or electric

Iím thinking of getting another A bit a longer one , like a 30 to 35 ft

Some I have seen say two acs , but I donít see roof mounted .. are they in the basement ?
And I would assume these coaches will be 50
Amp ?

If so can I still plug in where there is only 30-amp hook ups ?

Also ,if they say full size fridge are the still propane or electric ?

If electric only how do you run them when driving down the road ?
And how about boondocking , do you have to run the generator to operate the fridge ?

Are there full size propane fridges or longer As that have propane fridges ?

Thx for the help
Cvcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvcman View Post
It had a 30 amp service , single roof ac and fridge that was propane or electric

Some I have seen say two acs , but I donít see roof mounted .. are they in the basement ?
Amp ?

And how about boondocking , do you have to run the generator to operate the fridge ?

Thx for the help
If they say dual a/c but thereís nothing on the roof, it probably has basement air. Think of it like the central air in your house. They can be found in older RVís but isnít used anymore.

2 acís will be 50 amp, and to run on 30 amp you just need an adapter.

ďFull size fridgeĒ could mean anything. If it says ďresidential fridgeĒ then thatís like the fridge in your house. When youíre not plugged in or on the generator the fridge runs off of an inverter and a bank of usually at least 6 batteries.

The largest absorption (propane) fridge I know of is 12 cubic feet. Residential fridges could be anything you can get in your house.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
If they say dual a/c but thereís nothing on the roof, it probably has basement air. Think of it like the central air in your house. They can be found in older RVís but isnít used anymore.

2 acís will be 50 amp, and to run on 30 amp you just need an adapter.

ďFull size fridgeĒ could mean anything. If it says ďresidential fridgeĒ then thatís like the fridge in your house. When youíre not plugged in or on the generator the fridge runs off of an inverter and a bank of usually at least 6 batteries.

The largest absorption (propane) fridge I know of is 12 cubic feet. Residential fridges could be anything you can get in your house.
Ok so 2 acs will be 50 amp , and if plugged into 30 will it run both ?
Also do the larger 30 ft plus As ever have propane fridges ?
Seems like the better option than 6 batteries
Old 06-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
The largest absorption (propane) fridge I know of is 12 cubic feet.

I know Norcold has a Polar 18 absorption fridge which is 18 cubic feet (fridge and freezer).

Ray
Old 06-18-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
NXR

Couple questions

Quote:

Also do the larger 30 ft plus As ever have propane fridges ? Seems like the better option than 6 batteries
Probably not on the first question. Why? The startup current for an air conditioner is very high. On my Atwood AC-1511 15,000 BTU units, the startup current (locked rotor amps) is a whopping 63 amps. It's only for a very short period of time so it won't trip the pedestal breaker but as soon as the second one fires up that certainly can trip the 30 amp breaker due to the combined current requirement.

You can install "soft start" devices on each air conditioner that greatly reduces the locked rotor current requirement and will allow two to run on a 30 amp pedestal. I installed the Micro-Air EasyStart boxes. Another one is called SoftStartRV. So running two air conditioners on a 30 amp pedestal can be done but at extra cost.

On the second question, yes. Forest River installs the Norcold Polar 18 in many of their 38' Georgetowns, as long as the fridge is not in a slide. If the fridge is in a slide then the motorhome gets the 12 cubic foot model. That's what we have.

Ray
Old 06-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
No, only one on 30amp
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:26 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

Amp ?

As other have already said, there are a few units around with "basement" air, but they are the exception rather than the rule, especially in smaller RVs (anything under about 38'). If it says it has 2 units and only has one on top, closer inspection is needed. Could be an error in the listing or could be basement air.

Most RVs that have 2 air conditioners are 50 amp, however there are a few around that are 30A. Our 2004 Bounder was that way. It had an energy management system that only allowed both AC compressors to run when operating on generator. On 30A shore power, both fans would run but it would alternate compressors. Probably not a common setup, but there are a few around.

For those units with 50A service, you can use an adapter to hook up to 30A service. If you have nothing else running, you might be able to run both ACs, especially if they equipped with soft start capacitors. However, you risk tripping the breaker if both start at the same time and almost certainly will if you run anything else like the microwave or electric water heater element.

Quote:

There are larger 4 door propane refrigerators. I wouldn't call them full size, but they are bigger than the standard RV refrigerator.

Quote:

Thx for the help
A lot of the newer RVs are moving to residential refrigerators, but there's still a lot of propane RV refrigerators around. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. Search the forums here for much discussion.

Some of the newest RV refrigerators are 12V electric compressor refrigerators meaning they don't have a separate inverter but still run off the batteries and 12V power converter.

If a unit has a 110V electric residential refrigerator, especially factory installed units, they should be attached to a power inverter that powers them from the coach battery while traveling. This shouldn't be a problem for traveling since the alternator is keeping the batteries charged.

Our travel trailer has a residential refrigerator and we have no problem on an 8 hour travel day running the refrigerator off of the inverter with two deep cycle batteries and the very limited charge line in the 7 way trailer connector from the truck. With the alternator charging the coach batteries in a motor home you shouldn't have a problem while traveling. Boon docking is a different matter. You'll have to weigh the advantages of a residential refrigerator against the requirement to provide power while boon docking if that's something you plan to do a lot. The problem can be overcome with solar power or generator usage...

Good luck and happy camping!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyb View Post
No, only one on 30amp
Ours sits in the driveway and runs both ac's 24/7.
Naturally we're not out there heating water, microwaving and toasting, running the vac or running hair dryers, but if we were, the EMS would just shed the air for when we were overloaded and come back on automatically when the load dropped to an acceptable level.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #9

I upgraded from a 29' with 30A service and single AC to a 32' with 50A service and two AC's. I would avoid the basement AC. One, hard to find people to service them and then are no longer made, two is the loss of basement storage. As for two AC's - be careful out there as some are on 30A service and you can only run one at a time unless you modify them.

Our 50A rig has two Coleman 13.5BTU "power saver" models on the roof and we can run both on 30A - BUT NOTHING ELSE... They each draw 10A running. So with the two AC's, fridge on electric and the battery charger we pull 28A all day long. However, we do use a Hughes Autoformer that will boost low voltage and reduce amps drawn. That and a Hughes Power Watchdog with the bluetooth app will help you watch what is going on while on less than 50A. Highly recommend both.

Anything 32' and up with slide outs needs two AC's running when it's over 90 outside or you're cooking inside. I'm so glad we passed up the 30A rigs with two AC's and it would never have worked for us as it goes over 90 June, July and August. We've got hit in a sudden heat wave and had it 113 outside!

We do dog shows and have to live on 20A with a single AC (old rig) - switched the fridge to propane for that. Have yet to try it in the new 50A rig; but I've got an adapter to let me use two 20A's to a 50A. So I'll have 20A on each line and should be able to power up like a single 30A... we shall find out soon!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Ours sits in the driveway and runs both ac's 24/7.
Naturally we're not out there heating water, microwaving and toasting, running the vac or running hair dryers, but if we were, the EMS would just shed the air for when we were overloaded and come back on automatically when the load dropped to an acceptable level.
Ok no argument, you win. But donít forget to post when you are replacing your ac units because the compressor fails.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Our 2000 Suncruiser 35' has basement air with 2 compressors and is 30 amp. Both compressors run, pulling ~ 24 amps. In95 degree weather, I can get inside down to 70 degrees easily.
This as built by Winnebago.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:57 AM   #12

Soooo.....
These 30a and 50a are both 120v breakers correct ? Not 220 v
Old 06-20-2021, 07:18 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I think of someone stating they are plugged into a 30 amp plug I am thinking they are on a 115v single phase power supply, if you truly have a 30 amp 3 phase service i.e. 2 hot legs and one neutral then yes you could run 2 separate a/c units but you are limited to running anything else that requires much power. Also (most) dual a/c equipped RV’s has a 50 amp service which has two separate legs of power, one will go to one a/c unit and a few other items and the other leg will go to the second unit and other items in a coach. If you have a 50 amp coach and drop it to a 30 amp adapter which drops to a single phase plug (like a wall outlet) you are severely starving your a/c units with adequate power to run both. We have owned five coaches in our time and the ones with on a/c unit were 30 amp services and the ones with two a/c units they were 50 amp service.
Like I stated, I’m not wanting an argument I’m just trying to be helpful as a retired factory maintenance worker/supervisor, have a great Father’s Day to all the dads out there.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Soooo.....
These 30a and 50a are both 120v breakers correct ? Not 220 v

Yes, BUT..............

30 amp has ONE hot supplied by a 30 amp breaker. Measuring from hot to neutral= 120 VAC.

50 amp has TWO hots with 50 amp breakers supplying EACH. The two hots are called L1 and L2. Voltage between either and neutral= 120 VAC. Voltage between L1 and L2= 240 VAC. Total amperage @120 VAC: 50 from L1 PLUS 50 from L2=100 amps.