Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Couple red max 3 questions

I have a 35 foot Georgie boy that I want to use red max 3 on. I have read many posts and think this is the way to go.
Question 1 - will the TSP hurt the painted surfaces,windows or anything else it gets on. I only want to Red Max the fiberglass and use standard wax on the paint.

Question 2 - can I do the RV in sections? I want to do the nose cap and rear cap first, but will I mess up the front and rear by cleaning the sides later?

Thanks, Gary
poppiegary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #2

I have a GB also with painted compartment doors, probably like yours. I had no issues with the anything on the painted areas.

I don't know why you would want to do it in portions rather than bite the bullet and do it all at once. Physical restraints may hold you back but if not I'd go for it and get it done. I did mine in about 8 hours and that included down time for drying after the wash down. If you do complete it in sections I don't really see a problem. Once the RMP/ZEP cures it is pretty much bullet proof.

One thing that sped my application time down considerably was having DW do the rag dipping. I'd hand her the old one and get the new one and we zipped right along. Two years and it looks great. I had to re-apply it to the refrigerator cover and engine cover. It was obvious that my prep work (which is everything) lacked in those two areas.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Tsp

Hello Poppie, Just make sure not to leave the tsp (Trisodium phosphate) on for too long and make sure to rinse the entire unit very well to aviod any issues. The product can be some what caustic in it's strongest form. It's great for surface prep because it'll run a ph level up to 10ppm and remove any grease, mildew, and funk from your surface so as to allow your paint sealant or other coating to adhere. Good luck
perrybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Another GBM here - Red Max/Zep that whole baby!
Do the prep work and follow with multiple light coats - Long process, but results are worth it!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW: I prepped mine with just Bar Keepers Friend , it removed all the old wax and oxidation. (Don't use on aluminum,- Oxalic acid). Rinse well. RM3 has been on for over 3 years, with- *no problems. Touch up 1 or 2 coats annually. Applied RM3 to fiberglass and decals, used regular wax on painted cargo doors.

*Had an area on the top of the front cap that flaked after the first year, due to poor prep...(Hard to get out there). Cleaned again with BKF and a little more effort. No problems since, and cleaner did not affect other areas of RM3.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Hey Hooligan,
What type of prep have you been doing before your touch-up coats?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I've always used Simple Green. Scrub the roof and then wash the sides , apply the RM3 to the sides after they dry. I use Nu-Finish on painted cargo doors.

I wash the whole Rv several times a year, does not seem to affect the RM3.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
See this thread, more than you ever wanted to know about Red Max
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/red-m...ion-93958.html
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote