RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Cover??

I donít have covered storage available for my 2017 Tiffin Open Rd. Looking for recommendations for a high quality summer cover. Iím recently retired and will be wintering in the gulf area. Looking for a quality vented cover to lesson UV damage.

Thank you

Ron
Concord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord1 View Post
I donít have covered storage available for my 2017 Tiffin Open Rd. Looking for recommendations for a high quality summer cover. Iím recently retired and will be wintering in the gulf area. Looking for a quality vented cover to lesson UV damage.

Thank you

Ron

Hate to tell you, Ron, but covers are NOT a good idea and not recommended by most manufactures. The reason is simple. Even the best of them hold in moisture and chafe the paint.

Have you considered a RV port? It is a free standing roof for your RV. It keeps the worst of the weather off, allows the rig to breath and gives you easy access to it for most of your maintenance issues. Also, park the tires on wood or Lexan to save them.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 06-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #3

I see mentioned to park on wood or Lexan. What is Lexan?
My coach is parked with tires on crushed rock, would that be ok??
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Personally, I think crushed rock is the best, especially on a good, firm substrate. It allows the water to drain away and air to circulate. Water will age a tire alot faster than air. I agree with covers, my PO used a cover to hide this rig from the repo man (successfully for a few years) and it shows the damage where the roof rounds into the sidewalls. Cover the tires, but not the coach. I'm getting some MagnaShades made for the windscreen and pilot/copilot side windows.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ron! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've never used a cover so can't make recommendations. I can't imagine how much trouble those things would be to get on and off!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord1 View Post

Thank you

Ron
Ron,
As has been stated, ANY cover, no matter what the brand, will have some form of detrimental effects on the coach. First off, they're a lot more heavy than most would want to deal with. Second, being that they are heavy, they're difficult to deal with in the environment of being on the roof of just about any coach. Third, the primary reason for a cover is to protect the coach from the sun and elements. But, if your coach doesn't have a cover on it, it gets dirty, just from sitting.

Well, what do you think a cover's going to do? It's gonna GET DIRTY too. And that means, if you ROLL IT UP to remove it from the coach, guess what you do? You ROLL THAT DIRT right into the cover. Now, guess where that rolled out dirt goes when you get ready to put the cover back on the second or third time? It's gonna get ROLLED RIGHT IN BETWEEN THE COVER AND THE COACH! NOT GOOD!

In all reality, there's only one way to do that correctly. And that is to literally fold that cover, IN HALF all the way from the front to the back, in one shot. That way, you fold that dirt into the two halfs, that now face each other. With that being said, you can now "roll" up the cover. The next time you go to apply that cover, you unroll it to the point it's still folded. Now, with the help of a partner or two or four, you can pull the one half, all the way back and over the coach. Your folded up dirt, is still on the OUTSIDE of the coach, not trapped in between the cover and the coach.

Then there's the issue with the movement of the cover against the coach, during any wind etc. That cover's gonna flap, even slightly, at various points. The potential for chaffing/scratching/scuffing is high.

There is no doubt about it, covering a high cost "investment" like a motorhome, is definitely preferred. But, just how one does it, is a matter of choice and COST. A motorhome garage is the most preferred but, is also the highest cost. A car port type, is next best and not nearly as high cost as the garage. A throw on cover is the least preferred but, is also the least cost but, has the most potential for damage, that one is trying to prevent in the first place, your choice.
Scott

Quote:
edge,
In all reality, you can park on anything you want. There's always a bunch of hoopla about "what to park on" every once in a while on here and other RV forums. #1, Motorhome tires never WEAR out, about 99.9999% of them are replace due to time, not wear. #2, There are ZILLIONS of cars, trucks, motorhomes, spaceships, etc. all over the planet, including places like Alaska and more where vehicles are parked on pure ICE and water for months and years and, guess what. they still roll down the road when asked.

#3, Even if you parked in standing water which, is almost non-existent unless you park in four, large livestock watering bins, your tires will still work just fine and still have to be replaced at a given time frame anyways. Cement, wood, "lexan" (a variation of plastic sheeting)(normally used in areas or projects like light diffusers in drop ceilings and other projects), epoxied floors (like ours), and just about any other type surface, will all work. Besides, most folks usually move their coach every so often anyways for trips, weekend runs and more so, your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #7

I have a cover for my class A. The OP had it and never used it because he had read and heard the covers were a pain to put on. The cover came as part of the deal when I bought the coach. I don't and wouldn't use it in the summertime. Too big of a pain to install and remove it. We might come home from work on a Friday evening and decide to go to a Dirt Track race so we wouldn't have time or the desire to remove the cover. Then who would want to put it back on?
I do use the cover when I store the coach for the winter months. I rent a space in a 100' X 120" storage building. I am usually the first in around Oct. 1 and the last out mid May of the following year.
The storage barn is near a dairy barn. Pigeons are often in and out of the barn and often times find their way into the storage barn. I cover my coach just to keep the droppings left behind when an errant pigeon takes up residence in the storage barn. Also when my coach is parked back in the far corner out of harms way other rigs, RV's, cars, trucks and all of the previous pulling trailers in and out of the storage barn. I don't want the remnants of the exhaust clouding up my coach.
When I remove the cover and bring the coach home we take the cover out back and stretch it over a swing set, clean the cover with a pressure washer and pull the cover farther over the swing set until the entire cover is cleaned. We leave it stretched out for a day or two on the lawn so the sun will dry the cover before packing it away. We flip the cover over once or twice to be sure it is dry so we don't have mildew on the cover.
I hang the bag with the cover in it from a rafter in my pole barn. I pull the bag and cover up with a cheap set of cable pulls (come alongs) so a rodent won't find a home all summer long. I also tape a few dryer sheets to the bag to discourage brave vermin.
Lynn
Old 07-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #8

Cover

Thanks all for you response, Iím going to forgo the cover. Looking toward a covered storage option.

Thanks again.
Concord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I am looking for a cover for my Monaco behind my house.City will not let me put a hard cover because of lot line restrictions. I am going to put up some poles and stretch some kind of poly or canvas cover over MH. Hoping to keep most of water and bird droppings off. Searching for the fabric now.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I am looking for a cover for my Monaco behind my house.City will not let me put a hard cover because of lot line restrictions. I am going to put up some poles and stretch some kind of poly or canvas cover over MH. Hoping to keep most of water and bird droppings off. Searching for the fabric now.

ronspradley
ronspradley, I have been looking to provide temporary shade while parked. Something similar might work for you. Looking at those flag poles with the base plates that you drive on for main supports at 4 places maybe, to keep it off of the coach. EasyShade 95% Heavy Duty Beige Sunblock Shade Cloth Taped and Grommets UV 6.5ft/13ft Wide (13 x 36) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DSM8Y2K..._CEooBbT8ZVSX6
Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Crushed rock is great. If on tar or cement the insulator is recommended. Lexan (https://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate-Lexan-Clear-Plastic-Sheet/dp/B00AWTD4PM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530457243&sr=8-2&keywords=lexan+12+x+24} is window material. Stronger than Plexeglass.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
ronspradley, I have been looking to provide temporary shade while parked. Something similar might work for you. Looking at those flag poles with the base plates that you drive on for main supports at 4 places maybe, to keep it off of the coach. EasyShade 95% Heavy Duty Beige Sunblock Shade Cloth Taped and Grommets UV 6.5ft/13ft Wide (13 x 36) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DSM8Y2K..._CEooBbT8ZVSX6
I will loook, thanks.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that it took a problem for you to join us, but we hope that you will stay engaged after you have a resolution.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have a cover for my car - and it is pretty heavy (20 lbs?). I can't imagine the weight of an RV cover.

I guess you need to get it up on the roof first. How are you doing that - carry it up the rear ladder?

What do you do about the roof antennas (plus my coach has a wind-speed-meter to auto close the awning. How do you protect those? Does the cover have "holes for the antennas" (if so, it must be a pain to get them aligned).

Just getting my car cover on is tough enough standing on the ground (finding which end is front and getting it positioned). I would not want to be on the roof of my RV trying to figure that out (swapping cover ends and positioning to unroll).

Good luck
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover