RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cover or No Cover for my Class A

New to the forum and Class A ownership
Recently purchased a 2004 Safari Cheetah 36PDD
with full body paint
It still looks great, and I would like to maintain the exterior
appearance here in Colorado.

So Cover or no Cover ??

Thanks
COLORADOXMAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #2

Howdy fellow Coloradoan!

I've owned many RVs over the years and still do. I've kept some covered when possible. I lean towards covering it but with some preparation and understanding. First, you need to understand that in Colorado, you will be lucky to get 3 seasons out of your cover. Primarily due to wind. As far as preparation goes, in order to keep the cover from leaving rub marks against your RV, I found it best if I put some foam around any sharp objects on the RV to keep the cover from getting ripped but also putting them around the corners. It gives the cover a little space between the cover and the RV so when the wind blows, it will give it a chance to not leave a big mark on the RV. I've had pretty good luck with covers and it's worth the investment in my opinion.

Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #3

Our 2 cents. We use a cover here in Minnesota. Works great. Lots of variables tho like windy area vs sheltered. Many will say the wind will cause tears and/or scuff the fiberglass or paint. Snow doesnít seem to be an issue tho you may get more than we do depending on your location. Weíre fairly sheltered here and ours happened to be just the perfect size, hardly billows all winter. Youíll get lots of opinions. They can be cumbersome but we handle ours with no difficulty. It needs to be breathable (never had a mold/mildew problem) and get one thatís closest to your coaches size with minimal excess.
Works for us!! Good luck!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2003 had scuff marks from a cover that had been on it at sometime in the past. Wind may move the cover around enough to damage the paint.

Whether you cover it or not you should wax it once or twice per year. I have a 10" orbital buffer and use a fake wool buff pad. Spread wax on a 2' x 2' area, let dry to a haze, wipe off and buff. Takes a couple days and lots of trips up and down the ladder.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #5

This topic always comes up and I believe there may be pros and cons to both. I guess one has to ask are you talking about a canvas type cover that goes over the whole rv or a metal roof type garage.

If its a canvas cover heres my thoughts, I have never done this so I can not say out of experience. The cover does not let the unit breath you have to be aware of all the items on you roof putting holes in the canvas. Its hard to get in and out of your unit while its covered. It just makes not sense at least to me. Look at all the RV dealers in your area do they cover their stuff. Answer is no!

Save the money
p.s. my son is a firefighter/emt for the Arvada Fire Dept.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #6

Huge yes to covering

I have had 4 RVís over the years and all of them have been covered. I have heard the complaints about rubbing on here many times, I can say I have never witnessed it in any of my units. The key is to buy a good cover that fits your rig. The good ones are breathable, contrary to prior posts and have multiple entry points making it easy to access your unit. Here are the reasons I think it is a must:

1) Reduce sun damage to your unit. UV is the number one enemy to your finish. If the rig is parked, unused for 5 months, why would you not protect your investment. When you go to sell, exterior finish is the first thing a prospective buyer will see.

2) Understand the dangers of the Freeze/Thaw/Freeze cycle. The cover keeps water out of the crevices in your rig and will help prevent the damage that comes with expansion of water everytime it freezes within those crevices. If water freezing and expanding can shatter rock faces then it can do the same to your unit.

3) Insurance against unexpected leak locations. I had one of my skylights crack on a previous unit during winter storage. If not for my Tyvek cover the spring thaw would have come pouring through.

4) Prevents Ice Scrapes. Ice shearing down the sides of your rig from the roof will have a layer of fabric buffering it and helping to prevent damage to your finish.

The only real negative to your Class A cover will be the bulk and challenge of getting it on. Those covers can be a challenge to manipulate and quickly turn into a Sail if you donít control them. I find putting mine on is a three person job. One person on the roof to spread it out and one on either side on the ground to safely pull the sides down and help settle the cover in place.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
cover

I have a good quality cover that I could sell you for half price that was never out of box that was for a Tiffin Open road 36UA order but traded RV for a Entrega Aspire 44R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Cover - Copy.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	306168  
toad Pruis V 2017
mcjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #8

There's no great answer. Here in Arizona you're lucky to get two years out of a cover. Most are made of polypropylene, which the sun destroys pretty quickly. The better ones are polyester, which is more durable but lots heaver. The one I have now has polyester on the roof and polypropylene on the sides. That means it's still light enough that I can get it on the roof to install it, but after a year the sides have already ripped on a few places.

In spite of that, without the cover, the paint, decals and caulking take a beating so I pretty much have no choice unless I want to let the sun take its toll.

If I had the space I would build an RV garage. If I ever move that will be a priority, but I've been in the same place for 30 years so far.

Installing the cover is a pain, but I've got a pretty good system down now. I lay it out in my driveway and roll it up like a beach towel with the front of the cover being on the outside of the roll. I then tie it up with a long rope and pull it up the ladder on the back of the moho. From there I just unroll it from the front and let the sides fall down. Forget about installing it on a windy day, but the wind can be your friend when it comes time to remove it.

Put some kind of protection over sharp edges, such as the edges of the awnings, or the first good wind storm will leave you with holes in your cover.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank You so much
I really appreciate your experience and advice.

A few more quick questions
1. Jacks Up or Down for storage?
2. Diesel additive for storage
3. Any other Winter storage recommendations?
Old 10-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank You so much

Old 10-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADOXMAS View Post
Thank You so much

I put my jacks down to keep the tires from flat spotting. Spray the shafts occasionally with WD40.

Be sure to winterize the plumbing, either by blowing out the lines with air pressure or with RV anti-freeze. In either case, put a little RV anti-freeze in the drains to protect the p-traps and in both gray and black tanks. Drain the water heater too.

On gasoline-engine generators, it's good to run the generator out of fuel to get rid of any gas in the carb. An inexpensive shut-off valve in the fuel line makes this easy.

I have no experience with diesels so can't help you there.

Tags
class a, cover