RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Crack in fiberglass

Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I noticed that the fiberglass just below the bedroom slide has a crack in it. This is new. I wonder what could have done it and what can be done to repair it. This is on our 2004, 40AD Winnebago Vectra. Any advice/comments are appreciated. We are fnew full-timers and must rely on our home being in the best of condition. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0801.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	144265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0803.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	144266  

DanGlo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Stress Crack

It looks like a Stress Crack to Me. Since it is a rear bedroom slide at the back of the coach, it could be caused by a number of things. Overloaded behind the rear wheels, Bad suspension parts.Going To fast on rough roads, It can be repaired with a little fiberglass, but first you need to determine what caused it. You need to check the frame and the suspension system also the amount of weight you are carrying in the over hang behind the wheels.
Mel
Old 11-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGlo52 View Post
Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I noticed that the fiberglass just below the bedroom slide has a crack in it. This is new. I wonder what could have done it and what can be done to repair it. This is on our 2004, 40AD Winnebago Vectra. Any advice/comments are appreciated. We are fnew full-timers and must rely on our home being in the best of condition. Thanks.
Daniel..
I had a similar thing occur about 2 years ago. What caused mine was the slide itself had a slide roller bracket that had failed and allowed the slide to rest on the valance below it.. The movement and stress from bouncing on this area allowed a crack, The repair to the bracket was straight forward... Moved the bed out and make the repair took the shop about 2.5 hours..
The crack obviously can't go any further for you but the shop used a special urethane piece that he repainted to match the stripes.. Actually didn't charge me at all as I was having some other paint work done at the same time..
Good luck with it..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

Tiffin had a similar issue due to structural inadequacy in the support. They will repair for free. Might check and see if Winnebago has a similar known issue and has a prescribed correction.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGlo52 View Post
DanGlo52,
Well, first off, you're driving a 2004 Coach. That's makes it a 12 year old coach, just like our '04 Itasca Horizon with the C-7 330HP CAT. And, we have almost the exact same slide, in the exact same spot. We do have a very, very slight crack, only it's in the upper corner, above where yours is. It was like that when we bought it, just over 5 years ago.

Ours has is really little. Now, I surely wouldn't go expecting Winne to do some sort of "free" repair on it. Heck, they won't do anything about rusting windshield frames on many, many coaches, or, the hundreds and hundreds of "glue joints" that are failing on both the front and back of many Winnes and Itascas. Glue joints that are supposed to hold on full generator covers, headlight mounting brackets, rear engine covers brackets and a whole lot more.

So, I don't think they'll jump right on your crack, on a 12 year old coach. Now, may I ask, how long have you had the coach? Did this crack just appear? As has been stated, there's a number of reasons why that happened. But, yours is the first one I've seen on that era coach and, a Winne. There are a few Vectra and Horizon (top of the line for both names in '04) owners on here and, again, not many with a crack in that spot, at least that's been reported.

As for getting it repaired, oh yeah, that's an easy one. There are boys (and I suspect women ) out there that are very talented in this sort of thing. I did a boo-boo to the rear of our Horizon and, it was pretty nasty. To the tune of $9,000 to be exact and, when the company got done with the repairs, there's no way anyone on this planet can ever, ever tell it happened.

So, that crack can be repaired to your satisfaction, without a doubt. But, like also has been stated, IF POSSIBLE, it would be nice to find out what maybe caused it, IN A 12 YEAR OLD COACH. It could be you drove over something at an extreme angle and tweaked the body. Or, maybe leveling you possibly over tweaked it too. Again, lots of potential causes. Don't know if you'll find the true reason or not. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've seen cracks like that on a lot of older Winnebagos, but not that wide.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

The RV industry is yet to learn something that the aviation business learned in the 1950's. If you cut a square 90* corner in a stressed skin it will eventually crack. That's why all airplane doors and windows have radius corners. The British airline industry learned this lesson the hard way. At least a RV won't rapidly and violently depressurize.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There was a similar crack in the same location (rear driver's side slide opening) when I was looking at my current coach for purchase. I spoke to Country Coach and they advised it was a stress crack and they had seen them on some of their longer coaches. I negotiated the estimated cost to repair this crack as a discount when we bought the coach.

When I got home I had a trusted friend who owns a body shop look at it. He said he could repair it but could not guarentee it would not return. So I decided to do something different myself. Mine was a bit more vertical and not as wide. I covered the crack with 2" eternabond tape, put some pop rivets thru the outer skin into the frame, and covered the entire thing with the chrome plated brass vent you see in the pic. That was in 2013 and I periodically check the area to make sure there is no delamination developing. Folks who have seen it think it is some sort of a vent.

I agree with Roger on his comment about the square vs radius corners. Obviously, this would add considerable expense. I do think Foretravel and perhaps Newell do use some slight radius at the corners of their slide openings.