Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Cracked windshield

I parked my Damon coach for a couple of weeks and did work on it. While I was parked both windshields cracked along the outside from the center side to the top and bottom. While I was working on the coach I was checking out the leveling system, moving lift pads up and down, oiling etc. I guess, during my jack extensions, I twisted the coach body enough to crack the windshields. Has any one else experienced this trouble ?
2000 Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I hae twisted my frame quite a bit with the jacks and never had this occur. I hae not read of this happening to anyone.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have read of some people's windshields actually popping out due to frame twisting. I think that is (or was) quite common on some models.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

I cracked my windshield crossing a dip at an angle - this thread.
When I first got my coach and was checking things out, I raised the rear jacks only until the wheels came off the ground (just to see if they would). They did, but lifting also did a twisting number on the chassis that caused one of the 12x12 inch slideout arm body covers to pop off. The twist pushed the panel against a baggage door.
I have come to a conclusion. Keep the coach level and don't twist it unnecessarily.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently talked to a glass guy who said twisting due to irregular jacking is the most common cause of popped windshields. This may be compounded by the further discussion that we had. You see... I have a spot on the lower left side of my windshield where the rubber gasket around the glass has pulled away (in) from the fiberglass leaving a gap of about an eighth of an inch by 2 inches. When I asked the guy how we fix, he said that, although this isn't the way it used to be done, windshields (and their gaskets) are now glued in with an adhesive to keep the gasket from moving. I can certainly see the point of that but, conversely, taking out the play should also lead to more pops. He also said the gasket may have shrunk... causing the hole. He did point out a few spots where the rubber (next to the glass) was cracking... implying it needed a new gasket.

Maybe a glass guy here on the Forum can provide more info. I, personally, would like to know if, when I replace my windshield, should it be glued in or "floating" in a new gasket.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My American Dream had the top corner popped out on the drivers side when I bought it. You can hear a lot of flexing when levelling with the jacks. I think the (3) jack system is supposed to help prevent a lot of that.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a 2003 Damon Challenger and the windshield was coming out on the sides. The rubber gasket was peeling behind the glass. Just had the windshield removed and reset. Done today covered by my insurance.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #8

I have a 35 ft Georgie Boy,We only had it 2 weeks when in a turn the drivers front window cracked. Insurance wasn't very happy to say the least.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
What year and model is your Georgie Boy. I have a 2001 Landau and the windshield leaks.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Got stuck in deep sand in a CG last year. Used the jacks to get boards under the tires. I later noticed a 6" crack in the bottom of the windsheild. By the time I got home, it ran very bottom to very top.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #11

I have a 2005 Damon Challenger. I had a slight accident and the repairs were perfect. I few weeks later, the windshield cracked as you described. I brought it back to the repair shop thinking that they had something to do about it, and was told that the Damon products do crack windshiels as they age and that this is a common problem with this line.

They removed everything in the front, cabinets, tv etc, and reinforced the windshield area with steel to keep it from moving around. this worked fine. It now is much more solid and the coach doesn't squeak as much from the front area like it used to.

The dealership told me that Damon is aware of this problem, but has not done anything to rectify it. When they removed everything from the front of the coach, it is amazing to see that the only thing holding the windshield was fiberglass, and nothing of strength or importance. Poor quality if you ask me. Good luck with the repairs.
grkman1 is offline   Reply With Quote