Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You sure do like to brag about your hopped up gasser. You may have a long rig, but it's very light and should be a good performer. The accepted standard for power to weight ratio is 1hp/100#. You have about 1.4hp per 100#. With that ratio, it should be good. When I pulled my 26' enclosed trailer, I weighed in at 52,000# with the same hp as you have. Add another 20,000# to your rig and that hopped up 8.1 will struggle with the 11,000' pass west of Denver. How many stops to let it cool down an a nice summer day? Then, I would have to ask just how long it would last. My 9 liter Cummins will out live me. A gasser has it place, but also has its limits. Also just wondering, what speed are your 22.5 tires rated for? Most are 75 mph, but you say you can run 80. What's safe about that?
stock at the rear wheels on my coach was 272 hp 340 at the crank after the banks system 342 rear wheels 402 crank.

we had not issues doing wolf creek pass red mountian pass ect
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
My low setting is not very noticeable but the medium and high on the steepest grades keeps things going very slowly, even while towing. About the only time I touch the brake pedal is the last 50 feet coming to a complete stop, etc.
The 3-stage Jake utilizes 2, 4 or 6 cylinders for Low, Med and High.
The 2-stage Jake utilizes 3 or 6 cylinders for Low and High.

So, Low on a 2-stage is between Low and Medium on a 3-stage.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #73

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Which studies?

CAT put out a paper that showed a 40K lb coach at 60mph needs 134hp, at 65mph it would need 162hp.
Yea, but I want my 40,000 lb coach with my F250 toad to do 0-63 in 3 seconds or less even starting on a 7% grade!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #74

Ok, I read all of the posts. We have a 300 hp 3208 turbo Wanderlodge FC. ( Fred ) The sweet spot is about 63 mph and yes it slows down on the hills (30,000 lbs + ) would it be nice to have more hp ? Of course it would.
That being said there are a multitude of different RV's out there because no single one suits everybody. If you want more hp then you should go out & buy it. Bigger RV, smaller RV, whatever you want it is out there. Find the one that is right for you and when this virus settles down get out there and enjoy every moment.
As a last note, nobody is safe @ 80+ mph in an RV with or without a trailer. Not looking to start an argument that is just my own opinion and it is worth exactly what you have paid for it.
Have a great day & stay safe & healthy.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Yea, but I want my 40,000 lb coach with my F250 toad to do 0-63 in 3 seconds or less even starting on a 7% grade!!!
Evidently you need a 2006 winnebago adventurer 38t. Who knew??
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Evidently you need a 2006 winnebago adventurer 38t. Who knew??
why do you think it is 40000 lb? it weight is under 36000 with the loaded trailer
Old 04-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
why do you think it is 40000 lb? it weight is under 36000 with the loaded trailer
Not sure it is the wisest thing to do, broadcasting over the internet that you knowingly operate your coach (with trailer) at around 6000 lb over the GCWR rating of 30,000 lb. Not only are you self proclaiming you are recklessness, you are also proclaiming your intent (over and over again).

All the aftermarket parts in the world won't change your GCWR. They may help in the performance category but not in a legal one.

There is no way, shape, or form that this "rant" of yours will ever help you....it is conceivable that it could hurt you though.

Similar to you, I operated my last motorhome, a Bounder 35e with an 8.1, Allison 1000 (and by the way, I believe you have an Allison 2100 not 3100 as posted elsewhere) in an overloaded condition. While it did the job for 10 years before I sold it, I surely knew I didn't want the world to know about it. A DP with the proper GCWR and hitch equipment remedied all of that! I will gladly pull to the right if I ever see you on my six.

I hope all of your paid for "free and clear" assets are well protected.....just a thought....

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/0...turerbro_1.pdf
Old 04-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #78

It amazes me. The talk of RVing at 80 mph. Why? It's called a Recreational vehicle
So what is the rush? Relax, enjoy the drive, the scenery.

I see 1/2 ton pickups hauling large heavy TTs and fifths. Way over weight. I wonder why the state troopers aren't picking up on this.
I also wonder how long it will be before we will be required to check into every weighscale. It is irresponsible actions like this that will bring about a tightening of the regulations. Do you really want to run a log book? Just a thought.
The trucking industry brought the log book regulations on themselves and now the E-logs. The next step is tracking the time on each truck as is done on some highways in Australia.
So think about what you are doing. We are enjoying a great past time. Please let's not spoil it.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #79

I like big hp and 1875 lbs of torque 42 k lbs loaded and 7.8 mpg and use cruise control on most hills and love the 3 stage jake . I hated the old coach with low power and the down shifts on the hills . never ever go back to a under powered coach

to each there own just be safe out there

dave
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlite View Post
I like big hp and 1875 lbs of torque 42 k lbs loaded and 7.8 mpg and use cruise control on most hills and love the 3 stage jake . I hated the old coach with low power and the down shifts on the hills . never ever go back to a under powered coach

to each there own just be safe out there

dave
Exactly. Reading this thread, two things come to mind.

Get the right tool for the job.
You can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
It amazes me. The talk of RVing at 80 mph. Why? It's called a Recreational vehicle
So what is the rush? Relax, enjoy the drive, the scenery.

I see 1/2 ton pickups hauling large heavy TTs and fifths. Way over weight. I wonder why the state troopers aren't picking up on this.
I also wonder how long it will be before we will be required to check into every weighscale. It is irresponsible actions like this that will bring about a tightening of the regulations. Do you really want to run a log book? Just a thought.
The trucking industry brought the log book regulations on themselves and now the E-logs. The next step is tracking the time on each truck as is done on some highways in Australia.
So think about what you are doing. We are enjoying a great past time. Please let's not spoil it.
I would welcome enforcement of RV weight limits and capacities. Start with requiring a weight certificate when renewing registration. Then, open up the truck scales to random inspections that include a weigh-in of the tow vehicle and trailer and compare that to the manufacturers specifications for each vehicle.

Fines could start at a $100 minimum plus $1 for each pound over spec. With an estimated 60% of RV’s being overweight, this could provide a huge source of revenue and possibly make our roads a bit more safe.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
i am sure i would get better mileage if i slowed down to 63 mph like most here but i will not, and the 5.5 was average over last years 7000 mile trip which included the rockies, black hills, the smoky and appalachian mountains.

also no one buys an rv thinking about good gas mileage, hell when i bought mine i never even drove one til i paid it off.

so i did not know what to expect i handed over the cash for the coach, drove it home gave a buddy cash to pick up the trailer gave the wife the cash to pick up the car and the v rod was paid for after a month of having everything set up the wife and hit the road.

vegas, white tank mountains, the rockies, frontier days, black hills, sturgis, the badlands,chicago, new york, the eastern seaboard, kanas, iowa, new orleans, texas, and every where else the wife wanted to go before going back to az for a year of work

Im curious what you see for tranny and coolant temps when all loaded up climbing those grades at or near WOT and cruising down the road at or over GCWR at 70+mph.

I have two 8.1L Allison powered coaches. One is mostly stock, the other is modded with every bolt on mod you can get including Banks full exhaust. Bigger throttle body. CAI, Ultra Tune, Trans Tune, etc.

My modded out Itasca gets it. 70mph is effortless. Even pulling a fully loaded trailer it has no issues keeping up with almost any highway traffic. That said, all that power creates heat. Coolant temp gets up there if I push it hard. Tranny temps rarely go above 140 unloaded or 175 with my trailer.

My basically stock Adventurer is way heavier but I dont abuse it on the road. Im too far from home to risk having a breakdown. Coolant and tranny temps are completely normal except for the times I’m in sustained +8% grades.

So. How do you keep things cool pulling all
that weight up the rockys with your modded 8.1?
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Im curious what you see for tranny and coolant temps when all loaded up climbing those grades at or near WOT and cruising down the road at or over GCWR at 70+mph.

I have two 8.1L Allison powered coaches. One is mostly stock, the other is modded with every bolt on mod you can get including Banks full exhaust. Bigger throttle body. CAI, Ultra Tune, Trans Tune, etc.

My modded out Itasca gets it. 70mph is effortless. Even pulling a fully loaded trailer it has no issues keeping up with almost any highway traffic. That said, all that power creates heat. Coolant temp gets up there if I push it hard. Tranny temps rarely go above 140 unloaded or 175 with my trailer.

My basically stock Adventurer is way heavier but I dont abuse it on the road. Im too far from home to risk having a breakdown. Coolant and tranny temps are completely normal except for the times I’m in sustained +8% grades.

So. How do you keep things cool pulling all
that weight up the rockys with your modded 8.1?
the times i checked (wolf creek pass rocky mountains and buckhorn wy black hills) the tranny temp it was 195.

i have two air intake tubes going from the lower front grill up to the frame aimed onto the headers to keep air cooling them i also use wetter then water coolant
Old 04-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #84

Depends on the amount of gas you have! LOL
Enjoy Life is offline   Reply With Quote