RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cracks me up

this is a bit of a rant with some opinion thrown in as well as some facts.
it cracks me up when people say they want 400 horsepower.

first off the horse power rating is taken at the crank not the rear wheels. my coach is rated at 340 but until i added the banks power system i was only 272 at the rear wheel with it it is really 342 hp at the rear wheel.

next most people here will not drive more then 63 mph (just look at the post were i stated i took my rig to the max 83 mph with the loaded trailer in tow and posted speed limit was 80) people jumped all over me.

next when parked (which is more then driving time no one cares) floor plan size and cost should be first.

last dp are far better then gassers. dp cost more to buy cost more to maintain is that better? dp are more quit in the driving compartment but hey my wife can take a nap in the bed when i am driving cause she is not by the engine. dp do have smoother rides but for the extra cost is it that much better

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #2

Sounds like youíre bored!!!! LOL. Not takiní the bait.........yet!!!!

bobmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #3

Whatever tickles your fancy.
That's why RVs come in every configuration imaginable.
More Power....look where it got Tim the Tool Man.
Point is, we all arrive at our final destination.
What you do with your time is the Journey, not how fast you got there.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, hp is relative, and way overhyped. When is good enuff good enuff. For me, good enuff is climbing a hill and not being a road block to semis. I don't care how much hp you have, your cg will limit your cornering Gmax, and you will never keep up with even a lousy minivan.

"83 mph with the loaded trailer in tow" is a bit much. In the fighter business, it's called "writing checks you can't cash". If something goes wrong, that extra 20mph is gonna be a bugger. What's the rush?

Cost is relative. And yes, speaking solely for myself, the extra cost is well worth it. My coach spends most of its time unoccupied, but that did not enter into my decision process. Driving comfort is premium for me. That's why I wanted a mid entry coach, to give my passenger the biggest side window possible and to move her forward a bit. Single piece really tall windshield was very important. There's a lot to see on the way, and getting there is half the adventure. And yes, the quiet of a big 350 CAT roaring 40' behind me, not at between me and my beautiful half, is important. And riding on air -- res ipsa loquitur, the thing speaks for itself.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #5

Yeah, but there is something about that big ole diesel purring away down back.

I've driven passenger coaches with both DP and FRED's. Give me a DP every day.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pretty sure most of us would like extra HP for climbing hills.

Not for rocketing down a flat highway !
Old 04-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #7

I never did get the "noise" thing. When I first brought my new-to-me but elderly gas class A home, at my first stop sign I about had a heart attack as I thought it had died. Just before reaching for the key to recrank it I thought instead to goose the throttle a bit. it was still running, just so smooth and quiet I thought it wasn't. Sure, climbing a hill it gets quite a bit louder but no big deal.
I'm given to wonder if mine is unusually quiet or what? DP's sure are louder on the outside, I know that.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
this is a bit of a rant with some opinion thrown in as well as some facts.
it cracks me up when people say they want 400 horsepower.

first off the horse power rating is taken at the crank not the rear wheels. my coach is rated at 340 but until i added the banks power system i was only 272 at the rear wheel with it it is really 342 hp at the rear wheel.

next most people here will not drive more then 63 mph (just look at the post were i stated i took my rig to the max 83 mph with the loaded trailer in tow and posted speed limit was 80) people jumped all over me.

next when parked (which is more then driving time no one cares) floor plan size and cost should be first.

last dp are far better then gassers. dp cost more to buy cost more to maintain is that better? dp are more quit in the driving compartment but hey my wife can take a nap in the bed when i am driving cause she is not by the engine. dp do have smoother rides but for the extra cost is it that much better
Now you started something Wife sleeping=no seatbelt, and 83mph!

Old 04-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #9

A whole potpourri of topics to discuss in these challenging times. As one of the first posts said, the OP most be bored stuck at home with the most of us, lol!

In short to touch on the DP/Gas thing, an endless debate for sure, I'm on my first DP after two gas. Love "all" of the differences generally pointed out, such as MPG no tow 91/2-10, with tow 8-8 1/2, quiet both the engine and house dual pane windows help too, four 6 volt GC2 batteries for the house, residential fridge, 2000 watt inverter, etc. etc..
Now, as soon as my filters come from Amazon, I'll be doing my f,irst DP oil change of 15 qts, oil filter not bad two for $31 and each fuel filter around $30 each. Oil I saw at BJ's Rotella 15W40 $79.99 for five gallons.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, but DP toilet paper is way more expensive than gas toilet paper.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
op here no not bored still working, was off last year so this year i work. what made me bring this up is another post of a guy wish list.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
op here no not bored still working, was off last year so this year i work. what made me bring this up is another post of a guy wish list.
I'm still trying to figure out how you park your RV on the side of a cliff.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I want enough horsey power to do the job well. On my last coach, a DP, 370 hp was a bit skimpy when the grades got above 3%. On the previous coach, 340 hp was plenty all-around, but it was 5 ft shorter and 15K lbs lighter.

Studies show that a typical Class A needs about 200 hp actually delivered to the drive wheels to maintain interstate highway cruising speeds (let's call that 60-65 mph). Basically to overcome wind resistance and tire friction. Climbing grades is extra.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #14

I thought all you oil burners bragged about torque, not horsepower.