Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #15

Gary there are 2 bell cranks on the P32 chassis installation is fairly straight forward see
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #16

I just finished loose fitting mine - I did a complete steering linkage replacement, tie rod ends, Hendrickson bell crank on the driver side (passenger is OK), idler arm and relay arm, and the connecting rod (between steering box and steering linkage).

PM me for video of how bad the bell crank and associated components were (I may post to YouTube - it's that important for people to see what a bad steering linkage setup looks like).

1990 P30 chassis under a '91 Champion Ultrastar. We got it 2 years ago with 17k miles on the clock - we've since added another 10k. Last time after coming back from Santa Fe and getting blown all over the road, I decided to look a little closer at the bell crank.
Bought the SuperSteer off Amazon, and everything else from RareParts.com All tolled I've spent about a grande and about a 1/2 pint of blood - not counting the Harbor Freight impact hammer and 2 pickle forks (although my hand sledge was probably more valuable).
Tightening everything up over the weekend, and will take it to get front end aligned Tuesday.
Looking forward to staying in my own lane as the 18 wheelers go by and the crosswinds blow.

Video just uploaded to YouTube - https://youtu.be/ljQSwNhGyaw

YMMV

FWIW - I don't know about I-beam front ends, but my independent front suspension (with A-arms and coil springs) has 2 bell cranks. I highly recommend downloading a copy of "Chevrolet Motorhome Chassis Service Guide".
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #17

I would assume that what is called a bell crank on a MH is a Pitman arm on a car or truck. Please tell me if I'm wrong.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
I would assume that what is called a bell crank on a MH is a Pitman arm on a car or truck. Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Mmmmm for the most part, no.

The bell crank on a P30 is what supports/attaches the steering linkage to the frame, acting somewhat as a base mount point for the linkage at 2 places, and providing a pivot point for a wishbone looking piece sometimes referred to as a “ steering relay”.

On a P30 with independent front suspensions, you have the steering box with a Pitman connected to the output shaft.

Then a drag link hooked to the Pitman which connects to one leg of the driver steering relay.

The crotch of the steering relay is base mounted to the chassis with the bell crank.

The other leg of that steering relay is connected to a cross arm about 3 inches from one end.

The other end of the cross arm is connected to the passenger side relay in the same way. It’s crotch is base mounted through a 2nd bell crank to the frame.

The very end of the cross arm is connected to the tie rod assembly for the respective end of the rod, driver or passenger side.

The linkage is kinda like that ole song “the hip bone is connected to he thigh bone, the thigh bone is connected to the knee bone, the knee bone is connected to the” and so on.

If you go to the YouTube link, the end of the bell crank is the left side joint that wiggles the most, and that point is the crotch of the driver side steering relay. As the camera pulls away, you’ll see the drag link arm, and the final joint in the foreground is where the drag link connects to the Pitman arm.

You can also see all this in the video Isaac-1 posted in the post above.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote