Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #1

Crank Windows vs. Sliding Windows

Newer year Newmar Bay Star have windows that crank out but only a few inches. Do these let in as much air as the older sliding windows?
sally-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally-w View Post
Newer year Newmar Bay Star have windows that crank out but only a few inches. Do these let in as much air as the older sliding windows?
Our friends have a Fleetwood with that type of window and no they don't let as much air in.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Not anywhere close to the same.
When my wife and I were shopping we sat in one with crank windows opened, then went next door to one with slide windows opened. There as a LARGE difference in the amount of air moving through the coach. It wasn't 'I THINK this one moves more air' it was 'WOW, this is much better'. At that point, all coaches with crank only windows were on our 'rejected' list. When the weather permits, we like to have fresh air coming in from outside.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with the others. The answer is no! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #5

This years Ventana has crank Windows. I've never seen the sliding windows. Were they double pane? I guess the crank windows are easy to keep open in the rain maybe a awning doesn't cut it. Is there any other downside? I wonder if I can get slide windows as a "special".
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Slide windows are much better. Our travel trailers had the crankouts. Our Bay Star has sliders and they are much better. If worried about rain, consider window awnings......they're on my wish list!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The newer crank types are frameless windows that simply don't open very much, due to the nature of the mechanism (lack of a frame). Older, full-frame awning windows would crank open to 75-90 degrees and let in plenty of air if fully open.

Sliding windows can be single or double pane and can be wet in a slanted rain, but window awnings pretty much eliminates that concern.

We like fresh air whenever possible, so we lean toward large sliding windows. If you are a 24/7 a/c type person, other window types may suit you fine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

First is my comment on windows..

I have three different style windows in my 2019 coach.

On the bedroom slide, next to both sides of the bed, I have the kind of windows that slide up and lock in place when lifted to a tab that holds it open.

In the main living area I have the crank (wheel) opening windows that just angle near the bottom both in the kitchen and across by both my couch and dinette. The one by the dinette is below a HUGE picture window but typical only the bottom 8-10 inches are what tilt open.

I have like most a screen door on my entry door.

Last I have the two normal large slider windows on the drivers and passenger seats.

So can I ask a genuine question, I promise I am not asking this to be a jerk but....

Does the window style matter.... Really?

Turn on your fan in the kitchen, bathroom, wherever, and it suck in all the air you could need.
Not enough? Turn the fan on a higher speed (if it can) or turn on a second fan... more air comes in. Is there some situation that warrants the windows can be open but the only air allowed in is what comes in naturally? Boondocking??? Then go outside, I guess. I have owned 4 different RV's and this question being asked has never ever crossed my mind. If I like the coach, floorpan, etc... Im getting whatever windows it comes with. The type or style of windows would never dictate wether I would buy the coach or not.
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We struggled with the newer "rain" windows when we were looking at coaches a few years ago. We narrowed our choices down to used Ventana's in the 2013-2014 years that were still modern but had dual pane sliding windows. We spend a lot of time in California and prefer opening windows to closing up the coach and running the air. We found our near perfect new coach in 2017 and purchased it with the standard crank-out flush windows. Our intention was to slowly replace each window with a sliding window. Hehr makes the windows and can supply them in either style. You need to pull out the window, read off the numbers off the frame and then tell them the style you want. It appears to be fairly easy to swap.
After using the coach for a couple of years now, we still talk about doing it but other priorities have taken precedence. We love the look of the flush windows but would prefer having better airflow when the weather is nice. We routinely open the emergency door in the rear bathroom and get much better airflow in the bathroom and bedroom. But, we need to figure out a way to secure the door open if a breeze comes up.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #11

For me having sliding windows are as important as a floor plan that allows a high level of usability with the slides in, a propane cooktop and reefer.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We've had both. Our Monaco Diplomat had sliding windows. Yes....they let more air in. The can also give you a better view by sliding one of the tinted windows out of the way and looking just through the screen, which typically slides too. We even passed food out those windows.

Our last two coaches have the crank out windows. They're frameless and more aero dynamic, plus give the coach a cleaner look. I think the movement of air is a made up issue. All of our coaches had Fantastic Fans, simply turn them on and you can pull air in from any or all windows, even more than you might need.

I still think the sliding windows were nicer to look out, but like anything else, times and products change. The frameless windows are now the standard on nice RV's, so you might have to get use to them if you want a newer coach. I CERTAINLY wouldn't let a window style determine the RV I was going to buy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:46 AM   #13

Our Nexus has sliding windows as did our LazyDaze. All my feedback has been much less air flow with crank outs, probably because they do not open wide enough. The pro side is they can be left open in rain. We will buy only one with sliding windows.
sally-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:52 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Absolutely you can use a fan to move air, without question that will do the trick.
But if you're someplace where'd you like to hear the birds chirp, the leaves rustle and the crickets crick, then running a fan on high to bring inside the RV somewhat diminishes the enjoyment of the outside sounds.
If you're in a park with noisy neighbors, then running a fan may be exactly the right thing to do.

Tags
window