Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #1

Cranking engine over in winter

So up here in the north we have a lot of snow. I spent four hours on the roof of my vintage 1987 Gmc 454ci 34' Corsair motorhome chipping away at ice and snow. Once done I put a bloody long cover over it.
I want to fire up the engine once a month. Do I have to remove the front part cover and the cover around the exhaust to fire up the motor?
Thanks
WildFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you can drive the rig you shouldn't start the engine at all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFitzy View Post
So up here in the north we have a lot of snow. I spent four hours on the roof of my vintage 1987 Gmc 454ci 34' Corsair motorhome chipping away at ice and snow. Once done I put a bloody long cover over it.
I want to fire up the engine once a month. Do I have to remove the front part cover and the cover around the exhaust to fire up the motor?
Thanks
its pointless to fire up the engine unless you can drive it and get it up to operating temperatures ;; its absolutely fine to just leave it sit for 4 months without running it
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I have a cover on my coach for the winter as well. Some way you need to get the cover up above the exhaust pipes. Try a suction cup hangar with a spring clip or clothes pin to hold it. Or something. If your basement doors open upward and are placed in the right spots you might just open one and let it hold the cover up. As for the front you might get enough air flow from underneath. Keep an eye on the coolant temp. If you do open up the basement be sure to have fresh air coming into the coach. Open a window. You don't want to chance exhaust fumes coming in thru the basement.

Having said all that I agree there is no real reason to crank it at all. You would probably be doing more harm than good in the long run.
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

I side with the ones who say not to start the engine unless you can get it up to operating temp by driving it but I think that only applies to diesels. A gas engine can be brought up to temp while idling and thats better then to let it sit.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First off, welcome to iRV2!

There are lots of different opinions on this subject and it may depend upon whether you have a gas or diesel engine. Most say gas run every 4-6 weeks and most say diesel let it set unless you can take it on the road to really warm it up. Do a search and see some of the different threads that discuss it. The generator is a different story. Most agree that exercising it with a load (like electric heaters) is definitely worth doing at least once a month whether gas or diesel.

But yes, if you choose to run either engine, be sure that you are safe and the exhaust is not going to set you on fire or cause you to asphyxiate.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fresh oil before it's put away and properly dosed with Staybil, leave it alone.

The majority of engine wear occurs at start up and it is not enough to just let the temp gauge get to operating temps, you'd have to let it run/stay there for 20 minutes to be sure to boil off any water (condensation) or other contaminates.

The once per month is old school, most manufacturers will now tell you to leave it alone. My '99 Camaro has been stored every winter since new with no ill effects to date.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I believe Ford recommends starting it every 2 weeks and bringing it up to operating temp. e-450 gas.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #9

If your going to run the engine, get it on the road.

You need to blow the moisture, combustion makes, out of the muffler and pipes. Otherwise it sits in there and causes rust and corrosion.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Snowed in.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #11

Up in the frozen North, run your MH engine as often as boat owners run their engines. They don't.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #12

Wow

Thanks for all the info. And support. I guess this is the forum to stay with.
WildFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Agree to Disagree !
Starting your Engine to warm it up won't hurt anything at all and will peg your feel Good Meter !
On the other hand I would strongly suggest that if your Engines sits out in the elements longer that 30 days that you Fog it prior to storage- takes about 15 minutes and keeps the rings and Cylinders from rusting which makes for a happy Engine when you do decide to start it up.
>>https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fogging-oil
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #14

Don't start it as others have recommended. It will generate a lot of condensation in the motor that will then sit over the winter. I store cars every winter and never start them.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, winter