Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

Crazy generator magic-whats the probable problem

Ive read the existing posts on the onan 5000. Here is my story. Serviced less than a month ago. Worked perfectly Thursday through Sunday on our trip. Dash AC developed vacuum leak on trip home. Generator wouldnt start. Got home. Threw code. Plugged in house power last night. Tonight I went out to record which code to generator repairman. Worked perfectly. My guess is after reading posts I have a battery problem. Do you think Im right? The curious thing is i got it started last night then it ran for 20 seconds and quit and threw the code. So i dont know. Thanks
ScottnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What code did it throw? When you say it wouldn’t start, what exactly do you mean? Did it crank over but not fire, did it just click when you pressed start or did it do nothing at all?

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

gen

It threw 36. it would not start. it did turn over but never fired on Sunday. On Monday I went to try, and it did start and ran fine. Two hours later, back to nothing and threw the code again. Got white smoke initially when it ran then it went back to normal. Oil is full.
ScottnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the level in your fuel tank? Fault code 36 is shutdown for unseen by convertor. Most likely not getting fuel, low level, clogged filter, pinched fuel line, external pump failure not supplying fuel. These types of things.
Check your fuel line and make sure its not soft and collapsing during operation.
If you fuel level is down around 1/4 the generator may not work due to where the pick off is in the tank.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
As stated, code 36 is a generic shutdown code. Based on the symptoms I would suspect a fuel problem. Check the fuel lines, filter fuel shutoff and fuel pump. Based only on the very limited information provided, If I had to guess I would suspect the fuel pump.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
At the generator you can take the fuel line off the carburetor stick it in a can or something press the prime button to see if fuel comes out. As others say check fuel lines and filter. Some don’t run their generators enough and the fuel filter may gum up. This filter is actually clean but 31 micron does let much thru. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6367.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	212328

Tags
generator