Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2017, 07:03 PM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a friend that got an old Dodge Travco and put the engine and transmission out of a wrecked Dodge pickup in the Travco added a leaf to the springs and away he went. The fit was good and he drove it a long time before he passed away.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Wrong. Dead wrong. maybe you missed that part where I recommended the 6.0L Power Stroke because it uses the exact same TorqShift transmission he already has installed. Removal of the engine, while not typical of the everyday mechanic, isn't that much worse than pulling the engine from the 2003 and up Super Duties. You do realize that the cab is lifted from the frame in order to service the engine, don't you? It is actually easier to drop the solid front axle on the F-53 and work from below. The entire Ford modular engine group and the 6.0 Power Stroke have identical engine mounting schema to allow them to be used in a variety of applications. The 2003-2008 F Super Duty line can use the 5.4L, 6.8L gas or 6.0L Power Stroke (Navistar) engine with minimal changes to the mounting configuration. The wiring harness is also designed for that ability to use different engines. Haven't you ever looked under the doghouse and noticed the unused connections taped up out of the way? The ECM/PCM snaps into the same receptacle no matter which engine/transmission configuration is loaded.

Responses like these are why I recommended the OP go over to the Diesel Forums. You can see how easy it is for creative people who are mechanically inclined to repower many different applications. When most folks here can't even change their own oil or tires, how can he expect any reasonable discussion on the possibility of a repower?

ETA - if you really wanted to make this a difficult swap, how about converting to a side radiator configuration? That topic always draws out a ton of discussion!
Did you not notice the five emojis on either side of the final quote? My God man get a sense of humor!!!

: dance:
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Did you not notice the five emojis on either side of the final quote? My God man get a sense of humor!!!

: dance:
I guess I need a sense of humor too. I think it is because words can be, and usually are, more precise (IMHO) while symbols are more open to interpretation. I too thought it was a serious post, sorry.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I guess I need a sense of humor too. I think it is because words can be, and usually are, more precise (IMHO) while symbols are more open to interpretation. I too thought it was a serious post, sorry.

Steve
No need to apologize, The part of the post that was serious was that there are allot of possible problems that can come up even with a same to same swap. Let alone a completely different replacement.

I am glad to be a part of this forum and hope I can be of some help also. I just dont want to get into any fire storms.

All good Spending our kids inheritance one trip at a time-Q
Old 11-27-2017, 04:57 AM   #61

Not impossible, just impractical from both an engineering and financial standpoints. We are not talking money pit; we are saying money canyon. Just trade up to a diesel and have a well fitted coach you can enjoy instead of an albatross.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans. Cajun View Post
Not impossible, just impractical from both an engineering and financial standpoints. We are not talking money pit; we are saying money canyon. Just trade up to a diesel and have a well fitted coach you can enjoy instead of an albatross.
X2 Q
Old 11-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #63

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans. Cajun View Post
Even at that, most will find plenty for keeping them busy and especially if they're particular about their coach.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #64

From my experience, with proper planning and research it does not have to be an albatross, it may even be better than one built by the folks many complain about. A well thought out conversion will provide an opportunity to choose a power/drive train custom built to your requirements/specifications. However, without proper planning it could well be an albatross.

Cost can be significant, but that depends on the shoppers ability to find bargains wherever they may be. It will all take time.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #65

I have just decided to do the banks header and intake option. Should help out... Any recommendations for braking? I have a 3500# enclosed trailer and just the engine and brakes alone didn't seem enough. I have the programmer from 5 star.
tolandbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolandbros View Post
I have just decided to do the banks header and intake option. Should help out... Any recommendations for braking? I have a 3500# enclosed trailer and just the engine and brakes alone didn't seem enough. I have the programmer from 5 star.
By "brakes alone", you are including the trailer brakes too, right?

The trailer brakes should be able to lock up all four wheels when fully applied. If they are not locking up when doing the "drag test", then you may have a bad ground connection, a broken lead to the axles, or one or more bad magnets. Also, have you checked the settings on your brake controller? Sometimes they are counter-intuitive as to which direction the wheels or sliders need to move.

Well adjusted brakes and a correctly set brake controller should make it feel like the trailer isn't there behind you (i.e. pushing the coach while you're slowing down with brakes applied).
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote