RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Creaks, Squeaks and rattles

I love how nice and quiet a DP drives with air suspension (on a nice smooth stretch). But holy crap when you hit rough patches, this 2017 38K Pace Arrow sounds like its gonna rattle apart from under us.

Sounds like an american made car from the late 70's. A POS.

I know and expect we'll hear some squeaks and rattles and there's only so much you can do to manage them. I'm curious if there's some products or treatments that y'all have used in addition to tightening things up that may help the creaking and squeaking on these cheap plastic products they built into this thing.
I'm hearing lots of demons around the drivers side dash and ticking around the windshield frame.

Thank you very much for your experienced insight
Singlefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #2

We drive rolling earthquakes on the wonderfully smooth highways, everything moves some. I use spray dry lube on noisy joints and moving parts. I use spray slide-out seal lubricant for that and gaskets around the entry door and wood cabinet doors and drawers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to driving inside a tin can.
I usually spend may hours locating and identifying noises and finding solutions. I refuse to listen to squeaks, rattles, banging etc. After 5 RVs I've gotten pretty good at it. Velcro is used a lot to seperate metal and plastics.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Had one coach where one end of the dashboard was not attached and it made all sorts of noises until I got the factory to fix it right. Our other coaches has noise from three types of sources: entry door wind or squeak, slide movement squeaks, and gear rattling around in cabinets or storage bays. Slides and entry doors can often be adjusted to mitigate noises but rarely totally eliminates it; the gear is my problem.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #5

I knew I should have tied that baling wire a bit tighter
Old 10-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #6

Plastic on plastic squeaks

In the Walmart fabric centers they sell felt by the yard. On my southwind dash, the instrument panel is hinged and makes noise, I cut strips of felt and placed between the plastics. I also sprayed silicone on the hinge. Swivel and recliner chairs require positioning them where they don't make noise in my rv. My Dash on the passenger side wasn't properly braced, over bumps it shook badly, I braced it with a angle iron in the corner. It stopped most movement. Don't overload cabinets and refrigerator door shelves. tighten things up. look for loose window shade covers. it takes constant maint. it seems.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #7

After buying our 2012 rig in 2018, I went through and tightened every screw I could find related to cabinet mounting and also the lag screws securing the couches, and that helped. I also figured out the door squeak is eliminated by first of all using the lock, as it pulls in tight and wrapping the latch bar with a little electrical tape. For dishes, pots, etc., the foam sleeves that are available at UHaul (used for packing dishes, pots, etc.) help eliminate those type of rattles. In the overhead cabinets, you just have to have items loaded so they can't bounce around. I've been experimenting with using a smaller refrigerator bar in the overhead cabinets to keep stuff from shifting. I install the bar vertically (ceiling to bottom of cabinet. It seems to work, so I'm going to get some more bars and use them as needed.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
A little silicon into a loose joint before you tighten the screws will help. Filling gaps with silicon softens the noise too.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all your ideas and feedback.

I am ready to attack the NOISE! Armed with silicone, dry lube, velcro, tools and a bunch of other things to quiet this thing down.

If all goes well, will ride like a "Caddy", hence its nickname.

Wish me luck!
Singlefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I agree with others, reduce the noise almost gives the impression the coach is riding smoother. I "attacked" the noises from the dash last year. On this years trips I was amazed at the difference that made. I'm not sure how yours is constructed. Our dash is mounted on a wooden platform which is mount to steel frame members. It wasn't that hard to dis-assemble. I confirmed the steel frame was secured correctly. Then I added, lengthened, cushioned the wooden supports in many places, especially on the drivers side. I found there were no dash supports along both ends of the dash along both side windows. I added more wood screws & metal brackets where needed. I also cut the plastic windshield pillars covers ends on each side of the windshield so there was a space between them and the dash. If they didn't touch they can't make noise rubbing against each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101_resize.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	306317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMP_0102_resize.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	306318  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103_resize.jpg