Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Creative Places you have done a DIY oil change

I have been an avid DIY person in routine maintenance of my DP chassis.

I find myself currently without a place to do some fluid changes myself and time is up. I have the ability to pump the fluids into a 5 gallon container and control spillage.

Perhaps some of you have solved this same dilemma at one time or another?

If so, please tell your story.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My brothers horse farm, 5 acres. At my son's house out in the street. I use a lot of old cardboard. At my own house in the driveway. At sister's house in the country. At 10 to 15k mile intervals I should never be caught having to do it in a RV Park. And never at a RV or truck service station. Cheaper, gives me something to do and done right when I do it.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

If you have a pump and a small enough tube, do the oil change in your bedroom. Pump the oil up from your dipstick tube into the bucket. Surreptitiously change the filter from below, I guess.

That is the beauty of a DP, access to almost all of the top side of the engine from the comfort of your bedroom!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #4

I have changed oil in our prior gas chassis in a few parking lots or campgrounds. Mostly rustic campsites, and never in a place where it's expressly prohibited. But in some places I used the "Don't ask / don't tell" theory.

Not all CG are dead set against maintenance; once on our diesel pickup we blew the charge air cooler and were forced to spend a few days unplanned in the nearest KOA. They were kind enough to allow me to disassemble the front of the truck and replace the CAC in the site. In that particular instance a dealership repair wasn't even an option as Dodge had a bad run of CAC and there were none to be had. I went aftermarket.

Now with the DP, I probably won't be doing as much stealth maintenance. With less clearance, and air suspension, coupled with a longer list of items to maintain, I'll probably either time it to happen at home or pay the piper at a FL dealer.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a cross country trip I used my nieces driveway. Her husband had a welding company and disposed of my old oil for me.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
Community Moderator

i have a fumoto valve installed. when i needed to do the oil change, i just grabbed 6 empty gallon size containers like for water or milk, crawled under there and drained the oil. nobody could see me doing it. when i was done, went up and flipped up the engine door. took one gallon of fresh oil out at a time and poured it in. totally took maybe 10 minutes for the refill.
of course you don't want to do this at the peak traffic time in a rv park, like in the morning at 10 am on weekend. if you really want to do it in a secretive area, drive to industrial area during weekend. do it on the roadside no problem.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i have a fumoto valve installed. when i needed to do the oil change, i just grabbed 6 empty gallon size containers like for water or milk, crawled under there and drained the oil. nobody could see me doing it. when i was done, went up and flipped up the engine door. took one gallon of fresh oil out at a time and poured it in. totally took maybe 10 minutes for the refill.
of course you don't want to do this at the peak traffic time in a rv park, like in the morning at 10 am on weekend. if you really want to do it in a secretive area, drive to industrial area during weekend. do it on the roadside no problem.
Where did you dispose the old oil?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m in the planning stages of a cross country trip. Being Retired military, I plan on stoping at a military base that has a Auto Hobby shop and do my own oil change there.

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Where did you dispose the old oil?
walmart, autozone take it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace