Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Creature of habit, newbie, why not full time?

The wife and I have been blessed more than we deserve. In our short 13 years together we have made some good decisions, and some bad. We had a house at one point that had more rooms than we walked into monthly. We got a little smarter and down sized to a ranch that had a lot less space but still, space we didn't use or more space than we needed; not to mention close to two acres of land that required yard work, weed killing.....you get the gist of this.

Our plan was to sell the ranch, which we did, buy a coach, did that too, and buy a small condo for our exit plan, did that too but it is being built and ready for us in March or April.

The two of us have talked a lot since we moved into the coach and bought the condo and can't figure out why we would move into the condo....and this gets to the title of the message, why not full time. In our homes we had a nice kitchen where we loved to cook; have that in the coach. We always sat in our "assigned" seats, lol, every night. We slept in a very comfortable bed. Loved to have the fireplace on which we do now in our coach.

Am i missing something? Am I crazy? We certainly don't have a garage when it snows but we added remote start to both cars so we don't have to deal with snow covered or frozen windshields.

I am seriously thinking about renting out the purchased condo until we can no longer live in a coach and use that as our exit plan. Do you see a flaw with my plan? When we bought the condo we planned on a 15 year note because I am 53 and don't want a house payment when I retire. If we rent the condo for the monthly payment, just using simple math, it doesn't screw up my retirement plan. As far as I can tell.

Appreciate any comments or thoughts
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like a great plan. Living in a motorhome or living in a condo isn't all that different. Neither needs lawn maintenance and both usually have close by neighbors. As for space the condo has a little more but not a lot more. So I for one say, do it. You can always change your mind later and move to the condo at any point.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Your plan looks doable to me. You're leaving options in case you have a change of heart somewhere in the future.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
The wife and I have been blessed more than we deserve. In our short 13 years together we have made some good decisions, and some bad. We had a house at one point that had more rooms than we walked into monthly. We got a little smarter and down sized to a ranch that had a lot less space but still, space we didn't use or more space than we needed; not to mention close to two acres of land that required yard work, weed killing.....you get the gist of this.

Our plan was to sell the ranch, which we did, buy a coach, did that too, and buy a small condo for our exit plan, did that too but it is being built and ready for us in March or April.

The two of us have talked a lot since we moved into the coach and bought the condo and can't figure out why we would move into the condo....and this gets to the title of the message, why not full time. In our homes we had a nice kitchen where we loved to cook; have that in the coach. We always sat in our "assigned" seats, lol, every night. We slept in a very comfortable bed. Loved to have the fireplace on which we do now in our coach.

Am i missing something? Am I crazy? We certainly don't have a garage when it snows but we added remote start to both cars so we don't have to deal with snow covered or frozen windshields.

I am seriously thinking about renting out the purchased condo until we can no longer live in a coach and use that as our exit plan. Do you see a flaw with my plan? When we bought the condo we planned on a 15 year note because I am 53 and don't want a house payment when I retire. If we rent the condo for the monthly payment, just using simple math, it doesn't screw up my retirement plan. As far as I can tell.

Appreciate any comments or thoughts
absolutely rent it out. get a lot of tax breaks as someone else pays for it.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #5

Sounds like a plan! I like having the fall back position. Somebody may need to be grounded for a while and having your condo provides for that or the coach needs to be repaired for something. .

We bought 3 acres on two tracts The first one has a a 2800 SF house and the second has an older mobile home that was a rental, my work shop and storage.

Our battleplan (nutshell, and hopefully in order)
Remove the mobile home and upgrade infrastructure and build a 12-1400 SF rental.
Build a coach garage with a shop / storage on one side an a "bonus" space on the other with a kitchen and bathroom. Zoning will only allow one "dwelling" per lot and splitting to a third lot isn't feasible. The coach bay will have FHU and be large enough to handle a 45' coach with opposing slides open.
Buy something to put into the coach garage.
Remove old shop
Turn 2800 SF into rental
GO PLAY!!

The wild card is finding about 1.5 acres nearby and building the coach garage there.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Some people like full-timing and some don’t. You seem to be in the first category. Why not, particularly as you have an edit plan. I would double check that the condo can legally be rented. Some condo associations have significant restrictions on that, and, if you have a mortgage, there are almost always restrictions there.

We chose to keep a S&B house in the town where most of the grandchildren live (the others are only 45 minutes away). I get to keep my hobby supplies there, DH keeps a full shop to tinker in, and we have a spot to spend holidays with the grandkids. We also have ties to our church and other spots in the community. We bought this house on a small lot, though the house itself is big. We pay for mowing and snow removal with a reliable company, and relatives pick up mail and walk through the house regularly while we are gone. We travel for 6-8 months a year, divided into 2-3 big trips and a number of smaller, more local ones.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you have a good plan. Like others have said I'd rent out the condo and full time. The rent will help offset your costs and if you get tired of full timing you always have the condo as a fallback. I personally would have kept the ranch and rented it out though, but that's the country boy in me haha

I full time and biggest thing I miss is having a workshop. The second annoyance are the RV parks that pack everyone in like sardines, I try to avoid those but sometimes I have to suck it up due to logistics.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

There will be some additional wear and tear on the moho. You don't mention whether you intend to keep the same coach into retirement or at some point upgrade or replace.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #9

Sounds like a good idea! You don't know what life will throw at you tomorrow. I learned the hard way. Healthy and virile one moment, and in and out of surgery for the next 15 years! Rent the condo and enjoy life to the fullest! And you have a place to go to if life takes a turn. I could not see a better plan!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, newbie