Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #1

Crossfire equalizing tire valve

I was doing some research on the Crossfire equalizing valve system, my understanding is that inner wheels and tires get much hotter at times due to heat from the brake drums and the fact that the inners are not cooled as quickly by the passing air, leaving a known problem of heated tires making the pressure change rapidly, causing the two tires doing the equal work with two different pressures at times, mostly during long hard braking.

After a little more research It seams that if one tire blows the other is saved by a failure safety valve in the system.

The other cool thing is that each valve has an easy to see window that displays yellow for proper pressure, black for over pressure and red for under pressure or maybe vise versa.

Apparently the flow through style sensors for tpms can be used with this system.

I spoke with Michelin tire company and they recommended getting corner weights of my coach first to establish the correct psi needed for each set of duals because the valve system cannot be changed but comes in preset psi settings in 5 lb. increments.

Was wondering who has used this system other than big rigs and any pros or cons or just thoughts?

Thanks, Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #2

I've used the Cat's eye version of this system for years but without the (TPMS).

I've been very satisfied with the performance.

Without the (TPMS) I've only used the indicator on the system during walk around inspections at every stop, and before the start of a trip.

I do plan to explore the use of a (TPMS) in the near future and will be adding it to the Cat's eye I have installed.

As far as tire pressures, I follow the tried and true trucker method of maximum air pressure for maximum weight that could be carried.

I know most (RVers) don't like using this method due to the possible harsher ride. I've never had that problem, and never over heated a tire.

The ease of adjustment and equalization is something I don't think I'd ever want to be without again.

I have not experienced a failure or flat of one tire using this system so I can't report on that portion of it's performance.

It is a system I would highly recommend to anyone with duel tire wheels on any vehicle.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For 80,000 miles I have used an IR gun on my tires every time I stop. Haven't ever noticed higher temps in the inside duals.

My tires will vary in temperature based on wind direction, sunlight and air pressure.

I also shoot my brakes on occasion, especially if I had a hard stop prior to checking the temps and never noticed any effect on the tire pressures.

If I was you I'd get an IR gun and keep track of your tire temperatures before I spent any money on that system.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the crossover system on my RV and would recommend it as I have to many friends.

I did have my RIG weighed and installed the matching crossfire gauge. It's a quick visual check before and during stops along the way.

My current TMPS system does not work on the system so I run the TMPS on all my other tires only.
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I've used the Cat's eye version of this system for years but without the (TPMS).

I've been very satisfied with the performance.

Without the (TPMS) I've only used the indicator on the system during walk around inspections at every stop, and before the start of a trip.

I do plan to explore the use of a (TPMS) in the near future and will be adding it to the Cat's eye I have installed.

As far as tire pressures, I follow the tried and true trucker method of maximum air pressure for maximum weight that could be carried.

I know most (RVers) don't like using this method due to the possible harsher ride. I've never had that problem, and never over heated a tire.

The ease of adjustment and equalization is something I don't think I'd ever want to be without again.

I have not experienced a failure or flat of one tire using this system so I can't report on that portion of it's performance.

It is a system I would highly recommend to anyone with duel tire wheels on any vehicle.

DTW

Excellent advise from someone who has used a similar devise, thank you.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
For 80,000 miles I have used an IR gun on my tires every time I stop. Haven't ever noticed higher temps in the inside duals.

My tires will vary in temperature based on wind direction, sunlight and air pressure.

I also shoot my brakes on occasion, especially if I had a hard stop prior to checking the temps and never noticed any effect on the tire pressures.

If I was you I'd get an IR gun and keep track of your tire temperatures before I spent any money on that system.

Good advise, I do have an IR gun I used a lot on my travel trailer to monitor hub temps, I haven't checked the motor homes tire differences yet, I was basing my concern on tests stating most uneven wear and failure happens on the inners due to increased temps and pressure. Each kit is only $57 on Amazon so the price is no concern. I assume People with tpms sensors can monitor in real time this fluctuation and I do plan on a sensor system soon because price is more of a concern.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcretired View Post
I have the crossover system on my RV and would recommend it as I have to many friends.

I did have my RIG weighed and installed the matching crossfire gauge. It's a quick visual check before and during stops along the way.

My current TMPS system does not work on the system so I run the TMPS on all my other tires only.

Good to know.

Do you notice the over inflation color when you stop for gas? Some people say the pressure increases 8-10 pounds when hot and the valves are set in increments of 5 psi.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Good to know.

Do you notice the over inflation color when you stop for gas? Some people say the pressure increases 8-10 pounds when hot and the valves are set in increments of 5 psi.
I have never noticed an over inflated "Red" sign in my 3 years using the crossover gauges.

It is a piece of mind having these on the RV.

My current TMPS system will not work because of the continual air fluctuation between the two tires during travel as they both heat and cool. It kept giving false signals on the TMPS and driving me crazy several times an hour with an alarm going off. I contacted the TMPS people and they stated the same to me. They would give false reading warnings.

Good luck and safe travels
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
I also have the crossfire system on my RV. No TPMS.

Yes, you will see the pressure indicator show red (increased pressure) after even a few miles.

Yes the valves are calibrated in 5 lb increments so it is critical that you have your vehicle weighed, then refer to your tire manufacturers inflation chart to determine what the proper air pressure should be then purchase the appropriate valves.

It is my understanding that the valves work only at the calibrated pressure. So if your tires are over pressure and you suddenly lose air, the valve would kick in at the calibrated pressure.

The beauty of this type of system is:
It gives a quick visual of whether your tires are inflated properly or not
It allows a single fill point
It keeps one tire filled should the other lose air rapidly

I would recommend them.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #10

I've had the crossfire system for a year and a half now. I wouldn't have an rv without it now. The duellie are great for now having even wear and it's easy to SEE that the rears are good to go anytime. Yes, after a short time of driving they go into over pressure color in the windows. For me, not a big deal. My tires , so far run cool and pressure balanced. It's funny that in the year and a half I've never had to adjust for leakage yet! Convenient to check pressure, but a pair in the*** to take tires off. A bit easier now that I made a one off wrench to do the job.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #11

Crossfire equalizing tire valve

I’ll stick with a TPMS. All my failures have occurred while driving down the highway. The TPMS went off immediately. I can also check the pressures from the drivers seat. It’s nice that the Crossfire isolates the tires In case of a failure,but how long until I’m aware of it? Especially with a slower leak, maybe due to a leaky hose extension. Driving several miles down the road with a tire or tires losing pressure is never a good thing. I would be interested in hearing from those who suffered a failure while using these systems.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcretired View Post
I have never noticed an over inflated "Red" sign in my 3 years using the crossover gauges.

It is a piece of mind having these on the RV.

My current TMPS system will not work because of the continual air fluctuation between the two tires during travel as they both heat and cool. It kept giving false signals on the TMPS and driving me crazy several times an hour with an alarm going off. I contacted the TMPS people and they stated the same to me. They would give false reading warnings.

Good luck and safe travels

Good to know.
I'm curious if your tpms was the flow through sensors between the tire valve and the braided extensions or standard sensor on the crossfire fill valve?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrflie View Post
I also have the crossfire system on my RV. No TPMS.

Yes, you will see the pressure indicator show red (increased pressure) after even a few miles.

Yes the valves are calibrated in 5 lb increments so it is critical that you have your vehicle weighed, then refer to your tire manufacturers inflation chart to determine what the proper air pressure should be then purchase the appropriate valves.

It is my understanding that the valves work only at the calibrated pressure. So if your tires are over pressure and you suddenly lose air, the valve would kick in at the calibrated pressure.

The beauty of this type of system is:
It gives a quick visual of whether your tires are inflated properly or not
It allows a single fill point
It keeps one tire filled should the other lose air rapidly

I would recommend them.

I agree this system makes good sense, I guess I need someone who has had success with the crossfire and tpms working properly together to now make a decision.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz57 View Post
I've had the crossfire system for a year and a half now. I wouldn't have an rv without it now. The duellie are great for now having even wear and it's easy to SEE that the rears are good to go anytime. Yes, after a short time of driving they go into over pressure color in the windows. For me, not a big deal. My tires , so far run cool and pressure balanced. It's funny that in the year and a half I've never had to adjust for leakage yet! Convenient to check pressure, but a pair in the*** to take tires off. A bit easier now that I made a one off wrench to do the job.

Are saying with a special wrench crossfire could be installed without removing the wheel, or the wrench is just good for removing both wheels during service?

Tags
fire, valve