Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #1

Crossing into California with a Diesel Pusher

I have heard/been told that California has some new very strict air pollution rules. One source told me that if I don't have a current California Pollution Control inspection and sticker, I would be turned back at the border. I drive a Holiday Rambler (2004) with a Cummings 330 engine. Any Thoughts? Thanks Chuck Espersen, ACEpersen@aol.com
ACEpersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

No such requirement as Motrohomes are exempt from smog sticker regulations.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEpersen View Post
I have heard/been told that California has some new very strict air pollution rules. One source told me that if I don't have a current California Pollution Control inspection and sticker, I would be turned back at the border. I drive a Holiday Rambler (2004) with a Cummings 330 engine. Any Thoughts? Thanks Chuck Espersen, ACEpersen@aol.com
Unless you are driving commercially - NONE of the fearmongering applies at all. Even if you are driving a class-8 tractor that is no longer commercial but is pulling your 5th wheel trailer, that will still be allowed in just fine b/c it is non-commercial.

Motorhomes and recreational vehicles are exempt from this nonsense.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #4

So far it is only a concept as announced by the California Air Resource Board (CARB):

…developing a Heavy-Duty Inspection/Maintenance regulatory concept to make sure that non-gasoline powered vehicles greater than 14,000 lbs. operating in California (including vehicles registered out of state) have properly functioning emissions control systems. While this is only a regulatory concept right now, CARB said the intention is that it will eventually become a regulation that would establish a smog check program for heavy-duty diesels. The new requirements being considered by CARB could have huge implications for diesel motorhome owners.”

The earliest anticipated effective date is 2023.

Here's the article I pulled from;

https://camperreport.com/california-...el-motorhomes/
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #5

It will not go into effect until at least 2023. From what I've been reading, the details and exactly how it will be administered are still up in the air.

It was discussed a bit in THIS THREAD started two weeks ago and based on this article:

California to roll out mandatory motorhome emissions testing
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #6

Completely False unless you are paid to drive. [moderator edit]

Fill up on diesel before you cross into Cali if you want to save some money. Dont wait till right before the border either, it'll be same price. Do it 20 miles out or so.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

Couple weeks ago it was just a concept.....now it's Stop you at the Border/Papers Please

NO.....it isn't true

YET!

Please inform whomever told you......NO
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #8

Not sure who told you that but no such thing.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #9

Well, as I stated in the other thread on this subject, they have been stopping you at the border for decades and can confiscate your produce, fruits, and plants if they think it's harmful to their state.

It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped and checked your emissions too if they thought it would be harmful to their state. But yes, in my opinion, I don't think it will ever happen to those just passing through or non-residents who are not a commercial enterprise.

eta: ...and the proposal itself is not "completely false" as they do mention "motor home" somewhere in the draft proposal. It the December 2020 proposal that the article above is referring to HERE I'll have to read it again but that article did have a pretty good explanation of the draft:

Old 03-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Well, as I stated in the other thread on this subject, they have been stopping you at the border for decades and can confiscate your produce, fruits, and plants if they think it's harmful to their state.

It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped and checked your emissions too if they thought it would be harmful to their state. But yes, in my opinion, I don't think it will ever happen to those just passing through or non-residents who are not a commercial enterprise.

eta: ...and the proposal itself is not "completely false" as they do mention "motor home" somewhere in the draft proposal. It the December 2020 proposal that the article above is referring to HERE I'll have to read it again but that article did have a pretty good explanation of the draft:

Some motorhomes are driven commercially - race teams are a good example - and those would not be exempt. BUT unless you have DOT numbers on the side of your vehicle, that border checkpoint only cares if you are carrying firewood or agriculture products from state to state.

Don't transport firewood from state to state, that's a bad idea everywhere.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #11

crossed over many times between yuma and cali and they arnt looking at you just fruit and vegetables you can leave California with them just cant enter
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Some motorhomes are driven commercially - race teams are a good example - and those would not be exempt. BUT unless you have DOT numbers on the side of your vehicle, that border checkpoint only cares if you are carrying firewood or agriculture products from state to state.

Don't transport firewood from state to state, that's a bad idea everywhere.
Well, sure. I realize that some are used for commercial purposes but the whole point of this thread is the article which stated that even motorhomes that are used for recreation/pleasure are being considered for testing.

And I'm not sure why you are thinking I'm transporting firewood from state to state. I never said that nor have ever done that.

All that I mentioned in the other thread is those California inspections can sometimes get a bit intrusive as I was once asked to open the rear hatch after I answered that I was coming from the Las Vegas area. I had no reason to lie as I wasn't carrying any fruit, vegetables, plants, or firewood. But once he heard I was coming from the Mohave desert, he suspected that I might be inadvertently carrying those seeds to those invasive plants/weeds that they didn't want in northern California. Sure enough, he found them wedged between the seals in the hatch and showed them to me. Since I was just passing through and would be in Oregon in a few hours, he didn't see the need have them vacuumed up. He was very nice and cordial but I think it was just a slow day as there were no cars behind us at the time. This was on US 395 at Long Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombottcat View Post
crossed over many times between yuma and cali and they arnt looking at you just fruit and vegetables you can leave California with them just cant enter
No, I never said I was checked leaving California. In the example I gave in the previous thread on this subject, I was coming into California on US 395 coming from the Las Vegas area, going through Reno, and heading to WA state. My travel time on that trip would have only been four hours, if that, through California ...just coming in and going out without really stopping.

I'm elderly so have been going in and out of California since the 1950s
Old 03-22-2021, 11:23 PM   #13

Cal diesel

Another of the many reasons I don’t go into CA!!!!!!!
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #14

Executive summary, there is no rule yet, and won't be for a while. Once again this is the response I got from CARB when I emailed them:

"CARB staff conducted a HD I/M workgroup webinar in December where we unveiled our first working draft of the HD I/M regulatory concepts; it is not yet a finalized and implementable rule. In that version, we were proposing that out-of-state motorhomes would be subject to the periodic testing requirements. The link below to the pdf document is that December version of the draft regulatory concepts for the HD I/M program. I've also included the link to the overall HD I/M webpage with more information on program development, meetings, and events.

Since the December HD I/M workgroup meeting, we've been revising the draft document and are now looking to exempt out-of-state motorhomes from the periodic testing requirements in response to a March 8, 2021, letter from the RV Industry Association, National Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds, and CampCALNow. We expect to post the updated version of the draft regulatory language to the HD I/M webpage during the week of March 22, 2021, and will be discussing it at our next HD I/M workgroup webinar on March 29, 2021 (info on how to register for the webinar is available from the HD I/M webpages).

Best Regards,
Krista Fregoso"
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, diesel