Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #183

I'm happy at 60-65, or less. I feel out of control of the RV at faster speeds. We get about 7.5 mpg with our 37' diesel pusher towing a Sebring Convertible on a two wheel dolly.
It's the journey more than the destination.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #184

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have to chime in here,

I usually cruise 60-62 Mph on the US freeways, and have yet to be fingered or honked at for being slow, and yes that includes Texas!
I don't know where some people are coming from saying, if you don't go 70-75 at least you're a hazard on the road.

IMHO if you drive a MH/toad combo, or any RV combo once or twice a year, and drive 70-75 or over, tell me where, because I'll avoid you!

Professional truckers who drive 100,000 + miles a year are WAY more experienced than 99.9% than we are, and still get into accidents.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinterior View Post
I have to chime in here,

I usually cruise 60-62 Mph on the US freeways, and have yet to be fingered or honked at for being slow, and yes that includes Texas!
I don't know where some people are coming from saying, if you don't go 70-75 at least you're a hazard on the road.

IMHO if you drive a MH/toad combo, or any RV combo once or twice a year, and drive 70-75 or over, tell me where, because I'll avoid you!
I strongly suggest that if you want to know where people are coming from, then PLEASE do research. Don't just have an opinion because that is what seems right to you.

"Notwithstanding the many studies over the years, in testimony before the Ohio Senate Highways and Transportation Committee on June 10, 2003, Julie Cirillo, Former Assistant Administrator and Chief Safety Officer for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), testified that "up to the present time there has been no evidence to alter Solomon’s original finding that variance from the mean operating speed is a major contributor to accidents"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomo...omon_Curve.png

So in some ways your statement is fudged enough to fit the curve, but the reality is not based on the speed limit, but rather the average mean speed, which may be faster than the speed limit. That puts you right at the bottom edge of the safety curve. If the traffic is doing 70, and you are doing 60, you are OK, but for anyone doing 55, that's not OK. If the traffic is doing 75 to 80, then 60 is not OK. Those are the hard facts based on multiple research studies. Many states out west have 75 mph speed limits. Several states set the speed limits at whatever the traffic does, to try to reduce the outliers that cause accidents.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
I strongly suggest that if you want to know where people are coming from, then PLEASE do research. Don't just have an opinion because that is what seems right to you.

"Notwithstanding the many studies over the years, in testimony before the Ohio Senate Highways and Transportation Committee on June 10, 2003, Julie Cirillo, Former Assistant Administrator and Chief Safety Officer for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), testified that "up to the present time there has been no evidence to alter Solomon’s original finding that variance from the mean operating speed is a major contributor to accidents"

So in some ways your statement is fudged enough to fit the curve, but the reality is not based on the speed limit, but rather the average mean speed, which may be faster than the speed limit. That puts you right at the bottom edge of the safety curve. If the traffic is doing 70, and you are doing 60, you are OK, but for anyone doing 55, that's not OK. If the traffic is doing 75 to 80, then 60 is not OK. Those are the hard facts based on multiple research studies. Many states out west have 75 mph speed limits. Several states set the speed limits at whatever the traffic does, to try to reduce the outliers that cause accidents.
Better contact the road departments and have them update minimum speed on most Interstate Highways then, as it's often only 45mph.

And on mountain passes, you'll often see heavy trucks and many RVs going even slower with the flashers on.

While the statistics may be correct, I take issue with the recommended solution. Rather than feeling pushed toward driving faster to keep up with the speeding traffic, I'd rather see enforcement to help keep speed averages down.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post

Sir,
We are all entitled to our opinions, I'm merely stating my own.
I have driven the West coast states every year for the last 15, they all have truck and/or any vehicle towing a trailer speed limits of 55-60 MPH.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Better contact the road departments and have them update minimum speed on most Interstate Highways then, as it's often only 45mph.

And on mountain passes, you'll often see heavy trucks and many RVs going even slower with the flashers on.

While the statistics may be correct, I take issue with the recommended solution. Rather than feeling pushed toward driving faster to keep up with the speeding traffic, I'd rather see enforcement to help keep speed averages down.

I agree with you, thanks.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #189

. If the traffic is doing 70, and you are doing 60, you are OK, but for anyone doing 55, that's not OK. If the traffic is doing 75 to 80, then 60 is not OK. Those are the hard facts based on multiple research studies. Many states out west have 75 mph speed limits. Several states set the speed limits at whatever the traffic does, to try to reduce the outliers that cause accidents.

I have some spare time occasionally.

Not sure who posted about the above multiple studies, but I'd be interested in reading some of them.

Can you post links the them ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #190

Ford Super Duty Owner
I generally hang around 60-65, However, I don't want to get rear ended by someone doing 85, while I'm poking along at 60.. If the traffic is flowing at 80-85, I'll generally bump my speed up to 70-75 so as not to create a traffic hazard.. (I'm thinking I-10 between Tuscon and Phoenix as an example)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
. If the traffic is doing 70, and you are doing 60, you are OK, but for anyone doing 55, that's not OK. If the traffic is doing 75 to 80, then 60 is not OK. Those are the hard facts based on multiple research studies. Many states out west have 75 mph speed limits. Several states set the speed limits at whatever the traffic does, to try to reduce the outliers that cause accidents.

I have some spare time occasionally.

Not sure who posted about the above multiple studies, but I'd be interested in reading some of them.

Can you post links the them ?
These studies are somewhat of a red herring in this conversation. They discuss overall accident rates relative to speed limit and speed of traffic flow. But, this conversation is not about overall traffic - it's about RVs, which are a totally different animal as compared to other types of vehicles.

Discussing these studies without also discussing studies showing increases/decreases in accidents in RVs as speed increases is misleading and doesn't present a full picture. My belief is that the increase in accidents with RVs due to higher speeds will be much larger than any increase in accidents due to being rear-ended due to slower speeds. And, the high-speed accidents would also be much more serious.

If what you're saying is followed by everyone, then many RVs would simply not be able to travel to many parts of the country using the Interstate system - whether it be due to handling limitations, tire limitations, or some other safety limitations.

It's clear that the road engineers and law makers don't agree with the premise that its not okay to go 55 or 60 on the Interstate (any Interstate). We traveled through South Dakota and Wyoming last summer. Many stretches had speed limits of 75-80. However, the posted minimum speed was 45-50, depending on the road. I'm assuming they have access to these studies, yet they still post these minimum speeds.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #192

NEVER, NEVER, drive at a faster speed than what you are comfortable driving. That's just plain common sense. If your comfortable driving speed is less than the legal min posted speed, then find another route.
The speed limit means that is the max speed you can legally go. Unless there is a posted min speed, any lower speed is allowed. If another vehicle hits you, that's their fault, they are to blame!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #193

I have seen a few posts noting that you should drive at the same speed as others with your MH or 5th wheel. So in affect if most are doing 85 mph you should be doing at east75 mph or 80. Obviously most people don't understand that most Interstates have a posted minimum speed and in Florida it's 60 mph raised from 55 a year ago. So if you make the call to do 85 you will just love the dollar amount on your speeding ticket... worse if you blow a tire and lay the coach over your insurance company could file for you being the cause due to speed.... not hard to prove by a state cop that will investigate the wreckage.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:45 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Graham View Post
I have seen a few posts noting that you should drive at the same speed as others with your MH or 5th wheel. So in affect if most are doing 85 mph you should be doing at east75 mph or 80. Obviously most people don't understand that most Interstates have a posted minimum speed and in Florida it's 60 mph raised from 55 a year ago. So if you make the call to do 85 you will just love the dollar amount on your speeding ticket... worse if you blow a tire and lay the coach over your insurance company could file for you being the cause due to speed.... not hard to prove by a state cop that will investigate the wreckage.
What highway in FL. has a 60 MPH MINIMUM speed limit ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 AM   #195

My tires are marked "Max speed 65MPH". I do not exceed that.
bumpus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:47 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus4 View Post
My tires are marked "Max speed 65MPH". I do not exceed that.
And from grindstone1:

“NEVER, NEVER, drive at a faster speed than what you are comfortable driving. That's just plain common sense”.

Use you best judgement and know the limitations of you equipment. At the end of the day all that matters is you and your family get there safely.