Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
How about we look for a solution to avoid the accident. If you aren't comfortable driving "along with traffic", use a secondary road, enjoy the scenery and most importantly not be part of an accident, no matter whose fault it is.
What are you going to do with all the truckers that are governed to 65mph?
They are not going to use secondary roads.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #212

At 60/65 on interstate and 50 on secondary roads we get 8.5 mpg coach at 20500 and toad at 2725.

2017 Newmar Baystar 3009
Tom mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #213

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Common sense, I usually drive between 60-62, if wind id blowing 55, fuel mileage goes way up at 55, down a little at 60,. You know the twp guys that scare me are the pick-up with single tires pulling a 35+ ft. at 70. I have pasted a few of piles of scrap a couple of times. Then their is the guy in the 45' MH pulling a 5000# toad.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
Common sense, I usually drive between 60-62, if wind id blowing 55, fuel mileage goes way up at 55, down a little at 60,. You know the twp guys that scare me are the pick-up with single tires pulling a 35+ ft. at 70. I have pasted a few of piles of scrap a couple of times. Then their is the guy in the 45' MH pulling a 5000# toad.
Curious why it is common sense to go against the statistical studies? Or is that not what you are saying?
Old 07-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Curious why it is common sense to go against the statistical studies? Or is that not what you are saying?
That statistical study doesn't really apply here. There are so many other factors that weigh against the study, such as motor homes generally being less stable at higher speeds than autos.

If the traffic is sailing along at 80mph and you come along driving a 35,000 pound (or larger) motor home with only average handling and tires that max out at 75, keeping up with traffic is simply not an option. You'll become a statistic of another type if you try.

Absent any other mitigating factors your studies might apply, in the case of heavier vehicles there are so many other considerations which would seem to make going slower than traffic actually safer than trying to keep up.

Common sense would also say that a small car dawdling way too slowly would be hard for other drivers to see until it's too late. It's going to be more difficult to miss a large vehicle in traffic which is going slower than the crowd.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #216

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
That statistical study doesn't really apply here. There are so many other factors that weigh against the study, such as motor homes generally being less stable at higher speeds than autos.

If the traffic is sailing along at 80mph and you come along driving a 35,000 pound (or larger) motor home with only average handling and tires that max out at 75, keeping up with traffic is simply not an option. You'll become a statistic of another type if you try.

Absent any other mitigating factors your studies might apply, in the case of heavier vehicles there are so many other considerations which would seem to make going slower than traffic actually safer than trying to keep up.

Common sense would also say that a small car dawdling way too slowly would be hard for other drivers to see until it's too late. It's going to be more difficult to miss a large vehicle in traffic which is going slower than the crowd.
This makes a lot of sense. Studies are in some cases designed with an outcome in mind.

If you theorize everyone travelling the same speed with a set spacing you can visualize no contact between vehicles. All is very simple in this scenario. Unfortunately we have to include people who are not consistent with distractions and inconsistencies.

Have read studies that show that as speed increases the number of cars on any given section of roadway decreases (to allow for recommended spacing). Speed decreases to accommodate extra vehicles. It is one of the factors used determine number of lanes in order to accommodate predicted number of vehicles with a design speed.

Wonder how many new vehicles with collision avoidance have the feature disabled by the operator?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
What are you going to do with all the truckers that are governed to 65mph?
They are not going to use secondary roads.
I'm not going to do anything with the truckers, other than wave as we pass each other. I'm going to drive 65 -69mph like I always do and enjoy the ride. When I say: "How about we look for a solution to avoid the accident. If you aren't comfortable driving "along with traffic", use a secondary road, enjoy the scenery and most importantly not be part of an accident, no matter whose fault it is." I'm suggesting a solution to folks that are concerned about those who drive faster are going to crash into them.

If the wind is up and you feel safer driving 55 on the road with an 80 MPH speed limit, a secondary road, where the speed limit is 55 just might be a more comfortable trip for you. If you want to stay on the mainline and get buffeted by every semi that passes you..... knock yourself out. It's your choice.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #218

I'm my trips I find it very rare to see other RVers going the speeds they post on this thread.

I cruise 58-60 and am quite often passed by others going 65+mph.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #219

Quote:

If one has trouble seeing any vehicle on the freeway/highway.

You need your eyes checked. And should not be driving.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #220

Quote:

I think I should clarify 15% of 80 mph is 68 mph, not even 75 or even 70. So to be within the statistical recommendation, You would still be traveling slightly less than 70 mph, which is really not an unreasonable speed. It should also be pointed out that we are targeting a curve, not a brick wall. So when the traffic is traveling 80, if you target 65 to 70, that is not unreasonable. No one travels at a perfectly constant speed, but typically we target a zone.

The second thing worth mentioning is that if your motorhome does not handle well up to 70 mph, Fix It. Within the first year of owning my coach, I dumped ~$7000 into the safety of my motorhome. Nearly $4K of that was for handling improvements. Safety is important. I'm not done, but should be after another $1200.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
...The second thing worth mentioning is that if your motorhome does not handle well up to 70 mph, Fix It. Within the first year of owning my coach, I dumped ~$7000 into the safety of my motorhome. Nearly $4K of that was for handling improvements. Safety is important. I'm not done, but should be after another $1200.
First, not every coach can be made to handle well at speeds above 65, especially older rigs. No matter how much money you dump into a coach, if it was designed to cruise at 60-65mph it's going to be difficult to make substantial differences.

Some older rigs top out at about 65 due to governor settings.

Some people don't have $4,000 - $7,000 to dump into improvements that may or may not improve handling.

Some roads are not safe for large vehicles to go 70mph, regardless of how fast cars are going. Autos can keep up with posted speed limits in the mountains - try that in a motor home and it may be your last trip out.

I find your comments on the edge of insulting, as if you're saying that all of us could go faster only if we tried a little harder and/or if we spent a little more money.

There is positively, absolutely no requirement that motor homes keep up with the auto traffic on the road. You seem to want the rest of us to accept your premise as truth and keep you company while you cruise as fast as you can down the road.

The road engineers set the minimum speed on the roads. I, like many others, travel well above the minimum posted speeds. I'm not going to try to keep up with auto traffic cruising along at 80mph, and to even try with a large vehicle is foolish at best.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #222
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post

Ever come around a bend, one at an underpass, while travelling the speed limit only to find all traffic in front of you, and only a few hundred feet in front of you, at a complete standstill?

Happened to me and fortunately in a new car with new brakes. If I hadn't been able to dive over to the median it would have been bad. If there were a few more cars in front of me it would also have been bad.

A very slow car in front of you in the same turn would also end up bad.

Ray
Old 07-20-2019, 05:30 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post

What I was talking about is a type of situation like when you're behind a large SUV or van and can't see the traffic or road obstacles directly in front of that vehicle.

Even when keeping proper following distance, you can't always see what's coming up ahead of you in situations like this, especially if that vehicle is tailgating the car in front of them.

Unlikely that the car in front of you is going to block your view of motor home.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #224

Quote:
First, not every coach can be made to handle well at speeds above 65, especially older rigs. No matter how much money you dump into a coach, if it was designed to cruise at 60-65mph it's going to be difficult to make substantial differences.

Some people don't have $4,000 - $7,000 to dump into improvements that may or may not improve handling.

I find your comments on the edge of insulting, as if you're saying that all of us could go faster only if we tried a little harder and/or if we spent a little more money.
It should not be insulting. It is about making better choices. My first motorhome was a 1983 Revcon. I only paid 11 grand for it 18 years ago. That is what I could afford at the time. I specifically chose that brand because of its handling. There were older versions of what I bought for half that price. The point is, we do have choices to buy older cheap coaches within our budgets that still handle well. My families second motorhome was a '78 Midas 27 footer. It handled fine up to 70 mph. If what is known now, was known then, we could have improved the handling even more by adding a rear trac bar. Several years ago, my parents looked into buying a 35 ft SquareStream. It handled horribly. Way too long for a P30 chassis. My point here is that older longer coaches should not be bought. If one's financial limitations require purchasing an older coach, that is fine, just don't buy a monster that should not have ever been sold in the first place.

Would you buy a coach without brakes? Would you drive a coach with bad shocks? Then why would you buy a coach without a rear trac bar. The fact is, only DIYers should be buying old coaches anyway, as that is the only way to keep them running without going broke. DIY track bars can be built for around 100 bucks. In todays internet, this information is readily available.

Help is available, safety is achievable, even on a limited budget. It just must be a priority.