Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
It should not be insulting. It is about making better choices. ...
Better choices?

My better choice is not to drive my coach faster than it was designed to run safely.

Not sure you're in a position to judge someone else's choices as 'better' until you've had a chance to learn why they made those choices. Likely there are good reasons, and based on their priorities the choices made were in fact better. Just not the ones you would have chosen.

You still haven't addressed why the need to push the limit on speed. I get the whole statistical study thing, so you don't need to go into that again. But, as you've acknowledged, it's not necessary to push a large coach at speeds of 70mph or better to drive the Interstates safely. I choose not to, as do many others.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #226

Winnebago Owners Club
Often wonder why we buy a coach to go out and enjoy nature and "relax". Yet we seem to insist (in some instances) that we should go as fast as we can to get there in time to relax. Possibly the title of the thread says it all. Possibly "cruising speed" (which has connotations of speeding along with teh top down) should be referred to as "travel speed"?

Try driving a bit slower, look around and enjoy the scenery on the journey and save some fuel. During our travel to and from our winter destination we have upon occasion been repeatedly passed by the same MH or travel trailer. We seem to get there about the same time.

Many remind me of children who continually ask "are we there yet?". Find a way to enjoy the journey not just the destination.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #227

Well said!
Big. Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #228

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have both 98 gasser and 01 diesel. The gasser averages 10 mpg. The diesel averages 10 mpg. "averages" means going up hills and down hills pulling a 2700# toad. Total of about 400k miles in moho's driven, 6th moho. Diesel weights in at 29K, gasser at 11k. Per pound clearly the diesel is much better. Now 140k on gasser, bought it new, replaced all sensors and injectors about 20k miles ago.

Diesel is a 6 speed allison in front of a cat3126b. nothing fancy, no add on's. I run it in 5th gear at 50 mph about 1500 rpm.... never overheats here in the desert at 115 degrees. tranny rarely moves the needle. I have to run the dash AC all the time. The scan gauge shows 10 mpg but when I fill the tank it works out to 11 mpg, not sure what that is all about. I watch the bird poop painted newer moho's zip by me on the freeway knowing that I will drive 300 miles farther past them on each tank gives me a lot of satisfaction. I like to refill every 900 miles just to be on the safe side.

Pix is going up a 6 mile long hill. AC is spitting out 36 degree cold air, keeps the front half of the coach cool so I don't have to run the roof ac. It freezes my legs off on high so have to keep it at 1/2 blower speed.

Said this many times. MPG is all about how you drive it. I follow the trucks up the hills at 35 because it keeps my MPG up. Rarely need to get over 1500 RPM due to the incredible torq of the diesel engine. At 45 MPH you can get 12 mpg but I don't feel safe driving that speed in 75 mph traffic.

Optimal speed on gasser is 48 mph. Diesel is 50 mph. I didn't build these vehicles but can drive them.... funny how when we arrive at a destination that we feel like going and doing things, not all worn out and tired.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0667.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	253919  
Old 07-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Not sure you're in a position to judge someone else's choices as 'better' until you've had a chance to learn why they made those choices. Likely there are good reasons, and based on their priorities the choices made were in fact better. Just not the ones you would have chosen.
NO, I just have a can do attitude. I've driven enough different coaches to know that safety is achievable. (I've only been driving motorhomes for 40 years)
Old 07-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
NO, I just have a can do attitude. I've driven enough different coaches to know that safety is achievable. (I've only been driving motorhomes for 40 years)

Lots of us have 'can do' attitudes - but we all have different things on the list of things we want to do. Obviously there are some things on your 'can do' list that are not on mine, and vice versa.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:28 PM   #231

[QUOTE=richard5933;4840027]Tires on your coach most likely have a speed rating of 75mph. That doesn't mean that the tire manufacturer intended for you to cruise at 75, but rather that they'd be safe to do so for a specific length of time. I believe that it is a ten-minute standard.

a tire rated at 75 mph means it is safe to run at the full load, with proper tire pressure continually at 75 mph, theoretically for the life of the tire without stopping.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:02 PM   #232

From Tire Rack:
Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met.

I believe there is a temperature spec for the test, but I don't know what it is.

My old motorhome never exceeded the speed rating of the tires. They were "R" rated. I came close a couple of times.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #233

Tiffin Owners Club
WE try to avoid the interstates when we can and prefer the US highway system. We have a more relaxed trip this way and see a lot more than you can from the interstate.

When on interstates we keep it at 65-68 MPH and on the US highways around 60.

This also keeps our MPG around 8-8.2
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #234

I cruise at 65 mph because it's much safer than 75 mph. I believe in the science of it. What is the force that's continuously attempting to tear my tires apart? Centrifugal force is what I consider,.... increasing the speed of rotation increases it in proportion to the square of the speed.
Also, the slower I crash, the less it will hurt. Cruising at 65 gives me a head start at SLOWING DOWN.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #235

I set my cruise control at 1400 rpm. That is 62 mph in 6th gear. Not the slowest on the highway, many pass me by. That's okay with me. I see more and get better mileage at that speed.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #236

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation Amazing at how many tire experts there are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
I set my cruise control at 1400 rpm. That is 62 mph in 6th gear. Not the slowest on the highway, many pass me by. That's okay with me. I see more and get better mileage at that speed.

Ray
You know it really is amazing at how many "Tire Experts" there is when you make a post about tires! Like someone posted that 75 mph tire rating meant that you could only drive 75 mph for 10 minutes, that really takes the cake!

I am like you, slow down and see more and enjoy more and you won't loose your hearing from the wife telling you to slow down! Years back I read a very interesting article on speeds for motorhomes and how to get the best mileage, it said to change air filter before a trip, add fuel injector or carb cleaner with the first fill-up and repeat every 3rd fill-up, drive with the cruise control set at 58.5 mph and it would drastically improve your mileage.

We always got 6.5, 7.0 to sometimes 7.5 and after reading the article I followed it to the letter and WOW, was I shocked, we got 10.5 on that trip to Key West Florida and 10.1 on the return trip and to top it off, the wife was thrilled at my driving and slowing down!

I now feel that anyone who has to drive RV's 65 or above DON'T NEED TO BE DRIVING AN RV! You have to have an RV'ers frame of mind to be and drive an RV, and you are a safer RV Driver.

So, SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE AND HAVE A SAFER LIFE!
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #237

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation I agree - SLOW DOWN!

[QUOTE=texasrs;5156561]I set my cruise control at 1400 rpm. That is 62 mph in 6th gear. Not the slowest on the highway, many pass me by. That's okay with me. I see more and get better mileage at that speed.

I agree with You!

You know it really is amazing at how many "Tire Experts" there is when you make a post about tires! Like someone posted that 75 mph tire rating meant that you could only drive 75 mph for 10 minutes, that really takes the cake!

I am like you, slow down and see more and enjoy more and you won't loose your hearing from the wife telling you to slow down! Years back I read a very interesting article on speeds for motorhomes and how to get the best mileage, it said to change air filter before a trip, add fuel injector or carb cleaner with the first fill-up and repeat every 3rd fill-up, drive with the cruise control set at 58.5 mph and it would drastically improve your mileage.

We always got 6.5, 7.0 to sometimes 7.5 and after reading the article I followed it to the letter and WOW, was I shocked, we got 10.5 on that trip to Key West Florida and 10.1 on the return trip and to top it off, the wife was thrilled at my driving and slowing down!

I now feel that anyone who has to drive RV's 65 or above DON'T NEED TO BE DRIVING AN RV! You have to have an RV'ers frame of mind to be and drive an RV, and you are a safer RV Driver.

So, SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE AND HAVE A SAFER LIFE!
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
Being new in the RV world I have numerous questions and here is my latest.

At what speed do you people usually cruise on an interstate highway?

I travel at about 60mph because the previous owner said that was the best speed for fuel economy and he would average 12 MPG on a trip.

On my last trip of just under 500 miles, I tried to cruise at 60mph and at the end I got 8.2 MPG. Now mind you that was through the hills in the Finger Lakes, but still getting almost half of what he did.

Unfortunately, I can't ask him any questions because he passed away just after selling me the rig.

So I will be very appreciative of all what you have to say on this subject.

Thank you
My philosophy is: "Do what makes sense to you and quit worrying about what everybody else is doing". Some people like to drive 55, some 75. Some people like to travel 100 miles a day, some 500. I am OK with drivers at either end of the various spectrums. Making judgments about slowing down and enjoying life and who should or should not be driving an RV is just silly.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote