Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2020, 02:42 AM   #281

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
1. Some people will tell you they drive 90 MPH or more and want to go faster if they could. I keep it around 65 mph.

2. You will NEVER see 12 MPG and I would bet the MH on it.
Even if you are driving down hill most of the way still will never get 12 MPG. Most people do not know the correct way to calculate this.

It is very simple make sure you START with FULL a tank of fuel.
Record your STARTING MILES and keep all fuel tickets for your trip.
At the end of your trip just before you park it FILL it up again.
As you started your trip with a FULL TANK so you need to park it FULL.
Record your FINISH MILES and add up all of the GALLONS purchased.
Do not forget the gallons for your last fill up just before you park it.

TOTAL MILES divided by TOTAL GALLONS purchased = MPG

Now I take it to the next level just because that is what I do.
My reports for each trip also include:
1. Location of each fill up Date and Time.
2. Distance traveled between stops.
3. Number of hours the generator is used START to FINISH.
I then calculate the hours used @ 1/2 gallon per hour. I will then deduct the number of gallons the generator used to give me a better indication of the MPG for the MH.
Thanks, I was wondering how many gallons per hour to allow for the diesel gen set. Last trip was a bit of a freak thing and I didn't use gen set at all and got 11.1 with toad, but again that is at 50 mph 1450 rpm's. I wish I could judge when the tank is full, it keeps spilling out when it gets full. I try to listen for the change in pitch when it gets near full but it is hard to hear with all the outside noise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #282

Hey Farkey, welcome to the RV world. I drive off of my tach as much as the speedometer and for our coach 1650-1700 rpm seems to be the best combination of power, performance, and mpg. That translates to about 67 mph and an average of 8 mpg. It will take you a few trips to discover the best set of circumstances and unless you get drastically fast, speed will not change mileage very much.
2TxAgs is offline   Reply With Quote