Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 AM   #197

Best I can tell by looking at the interwebs, Florida has at most a 70mph limit on Interstates, with a minimum speed of 50mph.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #198

I recently drove I-10 across Texas at 60 MPH and I was very comfortable at that speed, even though the speed limit was 80. Faster traffic had no problem getting around me. Drive the speed you are comfortable driving, that is the safest situation for everybody. Don't worry about the other drivers out there, that's their job.

We've done I-10 many times usually 60-65 mph. If that is too slow, use the left hand lane and go around me.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If what you're saying is followed by everyone, then many RVs would simply not be able to travel to many parts of the country using the Interstate system - whether it be due to handling limitations, tire limitations, or some other safety limitations.
Since I'm the guy that pointed to the Solomon curve, I will point out that when I travel to Indianapolis over Memorial Day weekend, I typically take rt 41, rather than I65, as the cruising speeds on that weekend make the Autobahn look like a wheel chair race.

I suppose it should be pointed out that accidents rarely happen in light traffic. So from a safety standpoint, picking traveling times when the traffic is light, improves you margin of safety if you can not travel reasonably close to the speed of the rest of the traffic.

One other important point. Making an RV handle better at higher speeds should be a priority as one takes responsibility for their own safety. My previous motorhome would handled very well at speeds up to 100 mph. I drove that motorhome at fast speeds. When I got my current motorhome, the first time I drive it, I hit 68 mph ONCE in the next 2 trips. It just handled so poorly, I did not feel safe at faster speeds. Shortly after that, I installed trac bars and new shocks. This made a dramatic difference in how the coach handled. Now I'm able to drive 72-3 mph and the coach feels stable.

While many may be concerned about speed, your biggest limitation with a large vehicle is how fast you can get stopped. Driving 2 or 3 mph slower than the rest of the traffic helps keep distance between you can the vehicles you are following. That is well within the Solomon curve, and makes a good compromise.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinterior View Post
Sir,
We are all entitled to our opinions, I'm merely stating my own.
I have driven the West coast states every year for the last 15, they all have truck and/or any vehicle towing a trailer speed limits of 55-60 MPH.
The only state I've ever seen a posted speed limit for towing is California at 55mph, and NO ONE does 55. Most toads and semi's go about 62-63mph.

Having said that, a lot of our toads have a maximum towing speed of 65mph. I will occasionally go over that but I usually set my cruise on 63-64mph.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #201

Winnebago Owners Club
62 (1650 rpm) is a very comfortable speed to travel at.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #202

The toll roads around Chicago all have slower posted speed limits for motorhomes, buses, and trucks.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #203

"Unless there is a posted min speed, any lower speed is allowed. If another vehicle hits you, that's their fault, they are to blame!!"

And that is some interesting logic. It means that as long as you were in the crosswalk, if someone hits you they are to blame. YOU are still broken, banged up and maybe dead..... but they are to blame..... Don't walk across the street until you're sure the traffic will stop.

How about we look for a solution to avoid the accident. If you aren't comfortable driving "along with traffic", use a secondary road, enjoy the scenery and most importantly not be part of an accident, no matter whose fault it is.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #204

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post

How about we look for a solution to avoid the accident. If you aren't comfortable driving "along with traffic", use a secondary road, enjoy the scenery and most importantly not be part of an accident, no matter whose fault it is.

I agree with this. My Father-in-Law drove extremely slow. I was always uncomfortable riding with him. He would eve stop at a green light to make sure there was no traffic coming. He was an accident waiting to happen and it eventually did, a semi pushed him off the interstate where the posted speed was 75 mph, he was probably doing 50. Luckily he or his granddaughter were not injured and yes it was the semi's fault.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #205

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ Jim J, Bucks2, Exactly.

Part of my "Comfort zone" is being aware that if I'm driving to slow, I need to either speed up, or find another route that is more amiable to the speed I wish to drive.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #206

There is a stretch of highway around here where the speed limit drops from 70 to 55. Traffic regularly continues at well over 70 for quite some distance, in spite of the occasional radar enforcement being done.

Following what is being recommended above, it sounds like people are recommending that it's safer to just follow the flow and ignore the speed limit or obvious safety issues which prompted the reduction in speed limit.

Quite a quandary...
Old 07-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #207

Quote:
Following what is being recommended above, it sounds like people are recommending that it's safer to just follow the flow and ignore the speed limit or obvious safety issues which prompted the reduction in speed limit.

Quite a quandary...
Not really. When I first moved to IL, the Illinois Rules of the Road booklet actually stated that the safest speed to travel was the same speed of the traffic regardless of the speed limit. And yes, they did use those exact words I put in bold.

Incidentally, my brother was part of a traffic control study in his local city. They were trying to adjust the speed of the traffic, so they could time the traffic lights and the crosswalk minimums. They experimented with speed limits from 25 and strictly enforced to 50 mph. They found that it was impossible to any measurable impact on the over all speed of traffic. People will always drive whatever they feel is safe for the conditions. If you read about traffic safety, one common theme is how to regulate the traffic speed. Typically they will try to put up visual references that give people the appearance of going faster than they are - like the concept of a picket fence. Then they will set the speed limit to however fast the traffic is moving. Recently in IL, they have increased the speed limits on I80 and I294 as everyone was already driving 70. By increasing the speed limit, the goal was to eliminate traffic speed differential, thus eliminating hazards.

Technically if everyone traveled the same speed, it would be impossible for an accident, other than a minor sideswipe, as there would be nothing to hit.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Not really. When I first moved to IL, the Illinois Rules of the Road booklet actually stated that the safest speed to travel was the same speed of the traffic regardless of the speed limit. And yes, they did use those exact words I put in bold...
Regardless, I'm not going to drive 70+ in a zone marked (and enforced) at 55mph, regardless of the speed of traffic. Even if I was guaranteed that my tickets would be paid.

Same for operating my coach - I'll drive a safe speed. As long as the safe speed for my coach is in the permitted speed range, I'll just hunker down in the right lane and let others zoom past. My usual speed is between 60-65, so I should be good to go on most Interstates.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #209

Quote:
Regardless, I'm not going to drive 70+ in a zone marked (and enforced) at 55mph, regardless of the speed of traffic. Even if I was guaranteed that my tickets would be paid.

Same for operating my coach - I'll drive a safe speed. As long as the safe speed for my coach is in the permitted speed range, I'll just hunker down in the right lane and let others zoom past. My usual speed is between 60-65, so I should be good to go on most Interstates.
Like you, don't bother me to be passed and I will continue to drive at what I think is a safe speed for the situation. Life isn't a race

Over 14K views, how about that
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #210

10 years ago pro golfer Ken Green was involved in an RV accident when the right front tire blew. That incident killed his brother, girl friend, and his dog. Ken lost his right leg in the process as well. Our RV's are large, heavy, and cumbersome. The faster you go, the harder it will be to control the vehicle when problems occur. Drive with what your comfortable with, within your skill level. I posted that I usually cruise at 62mph, which is right after 6th gear locks up on my coach. I'm comfortable with that. Going faster eats more fuel and really doesn't get me there any quicker. I'll even drop down to 55mph with high winds to reduce the sidewall stress load on the tires, (overheating the sidewalls is the number one reason for blowouts). Going faster is just not worth it. Ask Ken.
TDebrocke55 is offline   Reply With Quote