Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #239

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmm

Two points:

I RV, therefore MPG is not my first concern. This was never about miles per gallon. How can it be when you plop a “home” on top of an unsuspecting truck or trailer bed? Both are inherently inefficient from a fuel economy perspective. Speed and it’s impact on fuel efficiency was not the primary consideration for us and I’ll guess for more than a few RVers.

As a group, let’s never confuse the way we want to travel with an economic justification for why we travel this way.

Second, if you want to drive that slow, please please do it in the right lane and never come into the left lane. You tootle along behind the corporate trucks, speed governed to 65 MPH because of the lawyers and the actuaries.

I have somewhere I want to be and I’m willing to pay a few dollars more get there my way.

And yes, Sinatra is on our road trip play list
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #240

Many years ago I was in a truck stop having a coffee when this guy walks and brags " I had a great run from ...today, cut ten minutes off my best time" An older gentleman spoke up and asked, " and what did you do with the ten minutes?" The response from the crowd was priceless.

Friends, this is not a race, there are no prizes.
Enjoy your trip, getting there is half the fun.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #241

Dutchstar towing a Silverado....6.7mpg at 64 always. Unless of course there is a big hill coming, then I usually floor it up to 67.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:08 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
...Friends, this is not a race, there are no prizes.
Enjoy your trip, getting there is half the fun.
But the older I get, the less time I have left.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #243

My Winnebago Vista (V10 Ford gasser) gets 8.2 at the best. Pulling our Jeep it drops to 6.5. It depends a lot on winds and hills. We try to maintain 60 most of the time, but I think for max mileage 55 works better.
Bogus JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #244

We cruise in our Renegade at about 62-65, sometimes 70 on wide open highways in Texas. Of course typically lower cruise speed at night, in rain, more traffic, etc. We get about 7.5-8mpg depending on hills and whether we're running the generator.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #245

We seem to consistently get 6.5-7.0 mpg depending on speed, terrain, wind, etc.

(flat ground, long runs, little wind)
55 mph = 7.0
60 mph = 6.8
65 mph = 6.5

Add hills, short runs, wind........ knock 1.0 mpg off those numbers.

Alway pulling the toad, 55,000 lbs.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD11 View Post
Two points:

I RV, therefore MPG is not my first concern. This was never about miles per gallon. How can it be when you plop a “home” on top of an unsuspecting truck or trailer bed? Both are inherently inefficient from a fuel economy perspective. Speed and it’s impact on fuel efficiency was not the primary consideration for us and I’ll guess for more than a few RVers.

As a group, let’s never confuse the way we want to travel with an economic justification for why we travel this way.

Second, if you want to drive that slow, please please do it in the right lane and never come into the left lane. You tootle along behind the corporate trucks, speed governed to 65 MPH because of the lawyers and the actuaries.

I have somewhere I want to be and I’m willing to pay a few dollars more get there my way.

And yes, Sinatra is on our road trip play list
and that's fine, as long as your tires are rated for that speed and doesn't come apart and fly through my windshield
Old 02-24-2020, 07:08 AM   #247

Per year, there's a limited amount of money that I can spend on RVing. Obviously, most of us here have to "budget" our money. Traveling by motorhome, towing our GMC 4x4 Envoy, is the only way I travel, it's the ONLY way to go (comfort and convenience and safety). Yearly, if I exceed the yearly RVing budget, I quit until next year. But, I cruise at 65 because it makes sense in other ways (it's safer, for me). I "profile" other drivers, I'm the best driver I know.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #248

You are from Ontario Canada and I assume the previous owner was Canadian also. Most of the responses are coming from US based RV’ers quoting anywhere between 7 and 9 mpg. Remember the Canadian Imperial gallon is 1.2 times larger than the US Gallon. He was most likely quoting miles to the imperial gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
Being new in the RV world I have numerous questions and here is my latest.

At what speed do you people usually cruise on an interstate highway?

I travel at about 60mph because the previous owner said that was the best speed for fuel economy and he would average 12 MPG on a trip.

On my last trip of just under 500 miles, I tried to cruise at 60mph and at the end I got 8.2 MPG. Now mind you that was through the hills in the Finger Lakes, but still getting almost half of what he did.

Unfortunately, I can't ask him any questions because he passed away just after selling me the rig.

So I will be very appreciative of all what you have to say on this subject.

Thank you
gazunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:07 AM   #249

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Per year, there's a limited amount of money that I can spend on RVing. Obviously, most of us here have to "budget" our money. Traveling by motorhome, towing our GMC 4x4 Envoy, is the only way I travel, it's the ONLY way to go (comfort and convenience and safety). Yearly, if I exceed the yearly RVing budget, I quit until next year. But, I cruise at 65 because it makes sense in other ways (it's safer, for me). I "profile" other drivers, I'm the best driver I know.
I've been living on the cheap for 20 years. When it comes to fuel, the only way to save $$$ is to slow down. Most moho's have a certain speed that they get the best mileage. Most of them it is at 50 mph or slightly above or below. My friends get the same as you, I get 11 mpg towing. I drive at 50 mph in 5th gear on a 6 speed tranny, my coach is 29k lbs. That is the best speed for this coach. Driving slower in traffic is tough, but after 10k miles or so you get use to it.

Safety???? blow outs at 50 are controllable, at 75 they are not. Turn on your headlights for safety. Tires, brakes, wheel bearings and many other chassis parts last longer when you slow down and the moho is easier to control.... The top speed rating for most moho tires is??? 75 mph at 80 degrees ambient.

Sure, I let it drift when I'm going down a hill but set the cruise at 50 when on anything else. My cars I drive at or above the speed limit. Think of it this way, the slower you drive the further you will be able to go per dollar. On 2 lane highways, it is easier for big rigs to pass you when you drive 50 than when you drive 60. When they pass I slow down for them to help them pass.... Oh sure, every once in a couple of years you get one that is stupid and hasn't figured out what is going on but such is the nature of newbies.... No matter how fast your drive, there will always be some fool who will pull out to pass, why not make it easier for them?

Speed costs money....
Old 02-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
I've been living on the cheap for 20 years. When it comes to fuel, the only way to save $$$ is to slow down. Most moho's have a certain speed that they get the best mileage. Most of them it is at 50 mph or slightly above or below. My friends get the same as you, I get 11 mpg towing. I drive at 50 mph in 5th gear on a 6 speed tranny, my coach is 29k lbs. That is the best speed for this coach. Driving slower in traffic is tough, but after 10k miles or so you get use to it.

Safety???? blow outs at 50 are controllable, at 75 they are not. Turn on your headlights for safety. Tires, brakes, wheel bearings and many other chassis parts last longer when you slow down and the moho is easier to control.... The top speed rating for most moho tires is??? 75 mph at 80 degrees ambient.

Sure, I let it drift when I'm going down a hill but set the cruise at 50 when on anything else. My cars I drive at or above the speed limit. Think of it this way, the slower you drive the further you will be able to go per dollar. On 2 lane highways, it is easier for big rigs to pass you when you drive 50 than when you drive 60. When they pass I slow down for them to help them pass.... Oh sure, every once in a couple of years you get one that is stupid and hasn't figured out what is going on but such is the nature of newbies.... No matter how fast your drive, there will always be some fool who will pull out to pass, why not make it easier for them?

Speed costs money....
I find your post extremely confusing. You talk about the safety of your tires, but are completely blind to the unbelievable hazard you create by driving 20 mph below the speed limit, which in most cases will be 25 mph slower than the rest of the traffic. I realize you do not care about the traffic behind you as long as you are not the one who is rearended. Who cares about anyone else, right?
Old 02-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
I find your post extremely confusing. You talk about the safety of your tires, but are completely blind to the unbelievable hazard you create by driving 20 mph below the speed limit, which in most cases will be 25 mph slower than the rest of the traffic. I realize you do not care about the traffic behind you as long as you are not the one who is rearended. Who cares about anyone else, right?
The speed limit, as the word limit implies, is the maximum limit, not the speed your obligated to go.

If your driving above the posted Minimum limit, your OK.
It is not unsafe to drive 50 MPH in a 70 MPH area, even if others are exceding that limit.
Bad behavior doesn't justifie more of the same.

What becomes unsafe, to the faster drivers, is them not judging your speed and waiting to pass properly.

How often have you crashed into vehicles traveling slower then you ?

In mountain driving it is unavoidable for all vehicles to maintain the speed you choose to drive. Drivers just need to be aware of others on the road.

Do you have any stats on this unbelievable hazard ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #252

If you are worried about MPG on your motorhome you can’t afford to drive a motorhome.That was told to me by the Salesman who sold me my First motorhome in 1975 . And it is still true today....Enjoy the journey..Not the MPG...
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote