Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #15

I have a 94 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser with the 230 hp Cummins 5.9 B model and a 6 speed Allison. The engine is pure mechanical with no electronics at all. It's no speed demon but will get the job done. The standard engine in the Scenic Cruiser was a 190 hp 5.9 Cummins with a 4 speed trans, I don't recall exactly which trans it was though. The optional 230 hp engine is intercooled and uses the Allison 6 speed trans.
The Scenic Cruiser has a GVWR of 20000# which is what mine weighs at the CAT scales; according to one article I read the GCWR is 22000# which doesn't really leave much room for a toad.
I've only had this one since August but so far on the trips I've taken it's only getting 8.5 to 9 mpg. I'm thinking of having the injector pump checked out along with the injectors at a local diesel shop that specializes in these small engines.
There is also another potential problem with the 5.9 called the "Killer Dowel Pin" that I need to check out next spring, basically there is a dowel pin in the block in the timing gear area that could fall out and damage the gears.
If I would have known some of this before I bought it I probably would have passed on it even though it was stored inside all but about 1 year and looks very good.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
I just placed an order for the Banks Stinger system to replace my system from the y pipe back. Mine is leaking and rusting out. I may put the headers on later when my checkbook allows. I just installed the Banks transmission control module, new plugs and wires and advanced the timing a little. I hope it will show some improvement for now anyway.

The headers really help alot, Im also running the trans command, I have only the rear muffler on the banks set up, I removed the first one to get a little more tone to the exhaust. You can see on my signature I have done a little more than just the banks system.

The best way to describe just the power pack was like a 1/2 ton pick up, the before was like a V6, with the power pack it was like a V8 .... Only reason the heads got ported and polished is because the great people at camping world cracked the heads putting the headers on, so I paid the extra to have the machine shop do some real head work to it.

Also the ECM has a program on it, and a bigger dual bore throttle body

I know a diesel may get more MPG but I cant afford the cost of gas, let alone diesel thats $1 more a gallon.

None of the mods will probably ever pay in gas milage, but the ability to pass, climb mountians, merge at highway speeds is worth it to me.

With the right work the 460 can be a HP and TQ monster for a gasser.

Safe Travels
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Don't get too bummed. At least you're savvy enough to recognize delam and corrosion prior to purchase. You'll find one, they're out there.
The information you all provided is not in vain I have my intended going to Redlands T & R to do a pre-purchase. Its a 1999 Diplomat with 275 with a Banks Power Kit which they are saying is now at 325 hp. Great information as usual The GVW is 29k on this unit and I plan to tow a CRV. Wish me luck

Tags
cummins