Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Cummins 230 hp?

I am going tomorrow to look at a 95 Gulfstream 34 foot with a 230 hp cummins and the Allison 6 speed trans. Can anyone tell me if this is enough engine for the coach. I now have a 98 Itasca 35 foot with the F53 chassis with the 460. Would this be an improvement as far as hill climbing ability and fuel mileage? I am very limited on funds and this one is priced in my range. I am full timing so I have to buy a replacement before selling mine.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #2

Can you tell us a little more about the engine? What is it, ISB? 5.9L? What you can do is Google it, should tell you a lot about what you need to know. What you need to know is the difference between the torque value between them. The Cummins should have a lot more, which will make hill climbing much better. You didn't specify if it's a pusher, if it is, the sound inside the coach will amaze you.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #3

Yes it is a pusher. I believe in 95 it will be the mechanical pump not the ISB. I will know more when I go see it. I don't expect a hot rod but my 460 is a real dog on hills.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had one in an old Coachman. I forget the year, 94 I believe. It was a weak sister. Had to run hard down the hills to get up the other side. Monteagle Tennessee on I-24 was a struggle to climb with any kind of momentum. It would get to where you wanted to go, but it might be a longer trip than you wanted. Engine was dependable, weak but dependable. We upgraded to 300 Cat and now a 425 Cummin. I was a Cat fan, but the Cummins seem to the way to travel
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
My Gulfstream is only 210 hp, earlier models were rated at 160 hp. Since you have an Allison 6 speed, it is pretty simple to tweak the engine up to 300 hp or more. It is a very reliable and simple (no computer) engine used in thousands of trucks over the years. My issue is I'm limited by my Allison 542. Check your transmission torque limits and don't exceed that. I find I'm not the fastest on hills, but I'm not the slowest either, passing trucks regularly. Towing a beetle I still average about 10 mpg.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Cummins 230 HP

I have a '98 Discovery, 36T with 275 Cummins ISB, 6 speed Allison. Have never felt the need for any more power. Running 60MPH I get 91/2 to 10MPG pulling an "09 Ford Escape. I don't run off and leave folks on hills , ie Raton Pass , but don't have a line behind me blowing their horns either.

Good Luck, Chuck
smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #7

Rule of thumb is a minimum of 1HP/100lbs. So, if it's a 25,000lb rig, you'd want a 250HP.

Of course, 85lbs/HP is better.

Mine is 23,000lbs but the Cummins is a 190HP. Or 121lbs/Horse. Had trouble getting use to it so added a propane fumigation system.

It's not so bad even with the underpowered engine alone as I'm retired and not in that big of a hurry anyway.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
Have a ISB rated @ 210 pulling a 34' coach, no problem but I don't tow. On the hills depending on the grade I just tuck myself in behind a tractor trailer unit.

Martin
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have several of my customers who boosted 250's to 325 or 350's. It used to cost $1500.00 I don't know if the price has gone up since 2008 or not. A lot of people said they would have problems, but not one had a Cummins block or Allison trans. problem. Every one was VERY happy with the results.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #10

Well bummed out, it was junk. Delamination,body damage and rust. Oh well maybe next time.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
I am going tomorrow to look at a 95 Gulfstream 34 foot with a 230 hp cummins and the Allison 6 speed trans. Can anyone tell me if this is enough engine for the coach. I now have a 98 Itasca 35 foot with the F53 chassis with the 460. Would this be an improvement as far as hill climbing ability and fuel mileage? I am very limited on funds and this one is priced in my range. I am full timing so I have to buy a replacement before selling mine.

If you like your rig, and just want a little more pep get the Banks Power Pack, its a night and day differance, and cheaper than buying another rig. I got a buddy with a 300HP American Eagle and I keep right with him in the mountians. I find it fun to pass D.P.'s and other gas burners going up mountians even pulling , Im sure they are like

In my experance in a diesel you really want no smaller than 300 HP for anything above 23,000
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #12

They call that a 5.9 12 valve motor. Same basic motor that was put into the Dodge Ram pickups. It has mechanical fuel injection and no EGR or other emission devices. The did have a problem with head gaskets and leak coolant on between the head and block on the corner above the water pump under the alternator. They also had problems in cracking the exhaust valve seats. Both problems are fixable if they occur. It gets around 10 mpg while pulling a toad.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
If you like your rig, and just want a little more pep get the Banks Power Pack, its a night and day differance, and cheaper than buying another rig. I got a buddy with a 300HP American Eagle and I keep right with him in the mountians. I find it fun to pass D.P.'s and other gas burners going up mountians even pulling , Im sure they are like

In my experance in a diesel you really want no smaller than 300 HP for anything above 23,000
I just placed an order for the Banks Stinger system to replace my system from the y pipe back. Mine is leaking and rusting out. I may put the headers on later when my checkbook allows. I just installed the Banks transmission control module, new plugs and wires and advanced the timing a little. I hope it will show some improvement for now anyway.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
Well bummed out, it was junk. Delamination,body damage and rust. Oh well maybe next time.

Don't get too bummed. At least you're savvy enough to recognize delam and corrosion prior to purchase. You'll find one, they're out there.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins