Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

Cummins accumulator fuel leak

A fuel line to the accumulator in a 2000 year model Cummins 8.3L diesel in a Fleetwood motorhome has a constant dripping leak. According to a diagram, part #4 at the block of the accumulator on top of the fuel pump is leaking. I tried to tighten #4 by disconnecting the fuel line first. #4 seems tight enough. There is supposed to be a seal disc to seal this little part #4. Cummins Parts can only sell the entire accumulator. This #4 part looks like an adapter that attaches to the fluted section of the fuel line. Does anyone know where to get just a seal or gasket to fix the leak? I uploaded the picture of an accumulator with the part #4. The leak is between part #4 and the block of the accumulator. There are torque requirements for this part and I'm curious if there is a disc seal that can be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins 8.3 ISC Fuel Pump.png
Views:	351
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	278274  
travel_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel_man View Post
A fuel line to the accumulator in a 2000 year model Cummins 8.3L diesel in a Fleetwood motorhome has a constant dripping leak. According to a diagram, part #4 at the block of the accumulator on top of the fuel pump is leaking. I tried to tighten #4 by disconnecting the fuel line first. #4 seems tight enough. There is supposed to be a seal disc to seal this little part #4. Cummins Parts can only sell the entire accumulator. This #4 part looks like an adapter that attaches to the fluted section of the fuel line. Does anyone know where to get just a seal or gasket to fix the leak? I uploaded the picture of an accumulator with the part #4. The leak is between part #4 and the block of the accumulator. There are torque requirements for this part and I'm curious if there is a disc seal that can be replaced.
What does it look like when you remove it? There are a number of possible ways it could make a seal. Tapered seat, pipe threads, O-ring, metal (aluminum or copper gasket), and probably some I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Also, is it a high-pressure connection (to the injectors) or a low-pressure connection?
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #3

Look for in the Cummins forum,and perhaps request your thread be moved there. I've seen the injector pump discussed there several times.
Hope you get the leak stopped quickly, the leading cause of MH fires are in the engine compartment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #4

See if you can reach and get some pics to see if it's copper gasket. You should be able to get some possibly from truck/hydralic shop. May also be a compressed O-ring.. Locktite makes a hydralic sealant IDK if stands up to diesel. We were doing a stainless piping job . The pipe was dubious qualiy, tape and locktight Hydralic.sealant was the only thing that seal the threads.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
TR4

I would call BKDiesel, they rebuild injection pumps and might have the parts you need.
https://www.bkdiesel.com

Bill
Old 03-18-2020, 11:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure if this link will come through
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/p...1.1/fp98674-02
This is the accumulator parts breakdown for my engine and it does show more detail including the seals.

I found this by going onto the Cummins Quickserve site. I typed in accumulator into the parts search. It brought up the injector pump with the accumulator on it. When I clicked on the part it brought up a list of different links. After clicking on several I found the above page.

I did a search for the seal number and came up empty so you may have to go through a cummins shop to get it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #7

I'm planning on taking it apart in a couple of days. I needed to find a replacement part just in case something breaks and I would have to pay $1200 to $1600 for a refurbished accumulator. I'll upload pictures of what I find. Someone else had this same problem awhile back. I had to go "O ring" hunting back in the day for an obsolete fuel injection system the same way you described. I'll try to find a pressure rating, too. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #8

I'll check out the Cummins forum. I have been inspecting the engine compartment and the hydraulic cooling fan because of the fire dangers. I visited an RV salvage place in Kentucky and saw alot of burned motorhomes. I turned my OEM Norcold off and will upgrade that, too, later.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #9

To 153stars: I'll look into this. I like the idea of the Locktite hydraulic sealant.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #10

TR4: I found BK Diesels website a few days ago and they got in touch with me just today. They have the parts kit to fix the "snubber". It's $144.80 which is better than a new accumulator. I like everyone else's ideas, too, since cheaper is better in my opinion. Now that I know replacement parts exist, I'll take the old snubber off without fear of breaking them and see what is in there. Thanks for the tip about BK Diesel.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #11

jacwjames: I'll check out the link. Thanks very much. I have had problems with Quickserve after I tried to get the free account. The help desk at the company and also the distributor could not help me get into my account. There were some site upgrades and that might have done it. I reregistered and now have access. I'll look into this so I can better understand what is going on in that section of the accumulator. Thanks to all for the help. I will update this thread later with pictures.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Travel man there is a very good video fo how the caps injection pump works. It will let you know what part of the pump you are working on.
MountainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #13

MountainMike: Thanks for the video. I'll watch that right now. My BKDiesel snubber kit is ordered.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #14

n2zon: This is from BKDiesel:
"Yes high pressure area, that fitting is where the "constant stored" injection pressure is connected to the control valve for metering & distribution. No real pulses, just one way flow. But just to give you an idea, the pressure varies between 5000 & 15,000 psi depending on RPM & horsepower demanded."

I can appreciate just the 5000psi.

Tags
cummins, fuel, leak