Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #15

MountainMike: That video was good. The part that I will be working on is the rate shape snubber. The parts kit should cover all parts in there. The rate shape tube connected to it is like a critical tuned tube and I will be careful with it. I rebuilt a John Deere tractor diesel and appreciated the experience. I like diesels. This Cummins is more advanced, though, but I'll be careful with it.
travel_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Travel man since your working on our caps system you may want to read the thread as well. Its on your lift pump. I have the same engine and I will be installing one of these pumps.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cum...mp-458337.html
MountainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #17

MountainMike: Thanks for the link. I read about this yesterday on the site. I like the idea and will plan for that, too. I also read about AirDog and a return line to the tank supposedly is not required. My tank is in a location that could be hard to get to. AirDog is supposed to be demand only. I still need to read up on both systems and have sent an email off to AirDog. I'll look into the FASS system, too. I have a 2000 Fleetwood American Tradition.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel_man View Post
n2zon: This is from BKDiesel:
"Yes high pressure area, that fitting is where the "constant stored" injection pressure is connected to the control valve for metering & distribution. No real pulses, just one way flow. But just to give you an idea, the pressure varies between 5000 & 15,000 psi depending on RPM & horsepower demanded."

I can appreciate just the 5000psi.

Grin. Guess it's important to have exactly the right seal.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #19
TR4

Quote:
MountainMike: Thanks for the link. I read about this yesterday on the site. I like the idea and will plan for that, too. I also read about AirDog and a return line to the tank supposedly is not required. My tank is in a location that could be hard to get to. AirDog is supposed to be demand only. I still need to read up on both systems and have sent an email off to AirDog. I'll look into the FASS system, too. I have a 2000 Fleetwood American Tradition.
If you have time, read this thread. Many members have installed these Fass and AirDog pumps many years ago. I’m using the Fass pump without the return line.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/rep...lp-289659.html

Bill
Old 03-20-2020, 04:52 AM   #20

There is an important safety consideration. If you have a leak *anywhere* on the HP side of the pump, do not look for it with your fingers while it's under pressure. Use something that's not part of you, like a wooden dowel. A face shield wouldn't hurt, either.

At those pressures, you could, for instance, lose a finger; or, get a diesel injection. HP liquids are perhaps the only things more hazardous than HP gases.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #21

Air Dog

Quote:
Travel man, the link above for the Fass pump was written by a friend of mine. After much research of both pumps I’ve gone with the Air Dog for many reasons. 1) it’s built for the trucking industry and is a beefy setup. 2) the pump is a demand flow pump, the Fass puts out X amount pressure and volume so you must run a return line back to the fuel tank to unload all the fuel not needed. Demand flow pumps pump at a certain pressure and the volume pumped is what the engine requires at any given RPM, any excess fuel is recirculated within the pump and two filters, thereby NOT needing a return line back to the tank but can tee into the Capps return line at the lift pump manifold. 3) Air Dog has a sensor built into the pump and filter housing to let you know when the filters need changing by lighting a LED light on the dash. 4) the pump also has easy adjustability of fuel pressure. In a few weeks I’ll be posting a lengthy write up of the installation with pictures and fuel pressures at particular points in the Cummings engine section. A side note, I’ll be bypassing the lift pump completely and will only use the return line portion. My coach is a DSDP 2000 model with the 8.3 ISC.
Arkansas RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #22

TR4: I've been reading about the two pumps and sending off emails. When I get a little extra money this will be the next job. I can see the worth in having it - even a rebuilt CAPS pump is alot to invest in. I can put that money in the fuel tank and go somewhere.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #23

n2zon: I've seen the videos of a lubricant injection on a job I was on. It's dangerous like you said. I'll be careful.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #24

Arkansas RV: Thanks for the post. All the posts here have been good ones. I'll be looking forward to your write up. I had read that the Air Dog was demand only. I like simple installations, too. If I can install this fuel pump/filter system in a remote location using heavy duty braided shielded hose then I would be happy. The existing OEM remote fuel filter in back is easy to get to, but the rest of the existing OEM fuel and oil filters were in tight places. I had to get a special order chain strap socket on a very long extension with a long breaker wrench to get those off. I had thought about doing without those extra filters on the new electric pump, but I read that the filters on that pump help to prevent aeration of the fuel. I could run the LED indicator conductor you mentioned in the same "cable tray" I ran my M & G Engineering air brake LED indicator for the flat towed vehicle. I had to take alot of interior trim pieces off to run it through existing ways, but I wanted a clean reliable install. I used split loom wire shielding to protect it and it looks OEM. Thanks for your post. I will surely read it.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #25

My BK Diesel snubber kit for the CAPS accumulator will be here next week. I'll send an update with pictures when I get into that.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #26

Update: New snubber valve installed

Update: I’m late in writing this because of other maintenance issues, but here it is.

The new snubber valve assembly for the accumulator is the new design that does not require replacement each time it is loosened or if it leaks. If it is removed, a new seal disc is required by the service manual. The inner parts of the new snubber are different than the old parts, but the operation is the same. I had to buy a crowfoot for my socket wrench and I had the torque wrench (in-lbs) already. If you use a crowfoot, make the necessary recalculation for the torque value. Things may change when you add things to the torque wrench.

I included .pdf files below, also, that show parts locations and sequence of assembly.

Picture: The new parts

Picture: Old and new parts compared (New parts are on the left side)

The new spring is shorter than the old spring, but the new snubber valve is milled shorter inside.

The .pdf file below shows how to remove the rate shape tube assembly in order to get to the snubber valve easily.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1590715825

I hope the above link works okay. It is on the Cummins site, too. You can get a free owner account and put in your engine serial number. Do not bend the rate shape tube.

The .pdf file below shows how to replace the snubber valve and has the torque value. This info is also on the Cummins site and is for a 2000 year model Cummins engine.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1590716147

I cranked up the engine and it ran with no problems and no leaks. I did not notice any difference in operation between the old and new snubber valves. The replacement was easy, but tight in the engine compartment. I placed a piece of wood on the valve cover and sat on it while holding a flash light. I saved between $1200 and $1400 with this fix and did not have to replace the accumulator. You may want to place a cloth piece under the snubber valve area to catch any parts if you drop them. The parts are small and have to go in the sequence shown in the service information above. Thanks to everyone that responded to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve parts.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	287393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old and new parts compared.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	287394  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Pump Rate Shape Tube.pdf (486.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: pdf Snubber Replacement.pdf (641.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 PM   #27
TR4

Thanks for the update, most shops would have replaced the entire pump. I’ll be bookmarking this thread.

Bill
Old 05-29-2020, 04:40 AM   #28

Nice job !

Tags
cummins, fuel, leak