Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Cummins B5.9 remanufactured head

Need to replace the head on my 1993 Gulfstream MH. One of the flanges used to bolt the exhaust manifold on is broken. It is the inter-cooled no computer B5.9 44622447. Have not been able to find a used one. Looking for suggestions on where to purchase a remanufactured head. Any ideas? Thanks.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not sure about heads, but Jasper engines do a little of all types of engines and transmissions. They provided me with a rebuilt transmission with a better cooling system than Ford had on the original equipment. (96 Ford F-250 diesel) Plus they come with a warranty
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Doc. Checked Jasper and they do not do reman heads. Saw on EBAY a new head for $465, with springs and valves. For B5.9L, B5.9 6BT, B5.9 6BTA, and B5.9 6BTAA. Now trying to figure out if that is for my engine.

ronspradley
Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

I had the EXACT same problem when I first aquired my 93 Pace Arrow Diesel Pusher.

It had the 8.3l 250HP Cummins Turbo Diesel. I was able to purcase a remanufactured head from my local Cummins dealer for $1200. That was back in 2k5
My reman. head had the heavy duty exhaust springs for Exhaust Brake use.

Good luck, Keep us posted.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I checked with local Southern Plains Cummins and they can get a reman in one day for around $1300. Still looking. Thanks.

ronspradley

Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

Option for Cummins B5.9 remanufactured head

Have you thought about having some one drill out the broken bolt? They may have to use a Helicoil for repair the threads after it is drilled out. Most major automotive machine shops or Truck repair shops can make this repair. Some may do the repair while the head is installed.
Cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Thanks Doc. Checked Jasper and they do not do reman heads. Saw on EBAY a new head for $465, with springs and valves. For B5.9L, B5.9 6BT, B5.9 6BTA, and B5.9 6BTAA. Now trying to figure out if that is for my engine.

ronspradley
That's the right head. A couple of things to watch out for. The new head is for 7mm injectors. That's the size of the injector tips. If your injector tips are 9mm, then you simply have to drill the injector holes larger so your injectors will fit. If your coach has exhaust brake, then check that the new exhaust springs are the same as yours. If not, simply switch your exhaust springs onto the new head.

That engine is popular in a lot of truck and agricultural applications. I used to rebuild these heads, but the new ones became available so cheap that I had to stop doing it. Then I used to stock the new heads, and sold quite a few of them over the years. Never had a problem with one.

The head you're looking at is made in China. It's sold by a lot of machine shops, tractor parts shops, etc. for twice that money.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
The old head has a broken flange, on top. Not broken bolt or stripped threads. No exhaust brake. The heads on EBAY are 7mm, will verify that that is what I have now. Still working on it. Thanks everyone.

ronspradley

Old 10-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #9

Ron,
Sorry I miss read you original post about the flange.

Pat
Cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins