Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #1

Cummins coolant filter

I want to replace the coolant filter on my 8.3 cummins, I see there is a shut off valve above it, it looks as if someone broke part of it off. Im wondering what kind of mess i can expect if it needs to be removed and I cant shut off the valve.
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can you get a picture?
This will help
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

Mine drips very slowly from the valve, so I have purchased the parts to remove the coolant corrosion resistor head and replacing the valve while changing the coolant. I anticipated a mess that I would like to avoid by having the parts on hand to replace the plastic valve that is prone to breaking. Heat and infrequent movement is not kind to plastic parts.

The following are the part numbers from the Cummins Parts Catalog, some of which may be discontinued by Cummins, but I found in other places on the internet.

O-Ring Seal (2) - 381885
Shaft, Shuttoff Valve - 3943739, superseded by 4940547
Shaft, Shuttoff Valve - 3943740
Gasket, Corrosion Resistor Head - 3943744. superseded by 4942874
O Ring (1) - 4989614

I'm sure a local Cummins dealer may have more current part numbers and availability from Cummins. I got the O Rings from Cummins after locating other parts on line.

I hope this helps.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #4

These are current links to all of the items on e-bay except the first O Ring that take two each. I think that is the one that I found at a Cummins Dealer in Grand Junction, CO this past summer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cummins...-/282108373187

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3943740-Cum...-/202871450906

https://www.ebay.com/p/1980486412

https://www.ebay.com/p/2072429361

The replacement parts for this fix are inexpensive by diesel repair norms.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
If its not leaking and you don't want to mess with it now just change the filter WF- 2071 on mine.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
As long as the shut of valve ain't leaking I'd leave it alone.
Change conditioner while engine is cold, DON'T remove radiator cap. This will help hold coolant loss to a steady drip while changing it. Take new filter under coach with you and spin off old coolant conditioner and replace with new... you'll lose a small amount of coolant, mostly on your arm.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about the ISC but on my ISL I'd lose a quart or two of coolant changing the filer without the valve turned off. The valve was hard to reach and difficult to turn after a few years, so usually changed with the valve still open.

My solution was to have a shop change the coolant filter when I had it in for a chassis lube or tranny filter change. Let somebody else get coolant running down their arm!

Note that this really isn't a filter. It's a slow-release chemical package that helps maintain the SCA in the coolant. If you change to a non-SCA type coolant or add supplemental SCA direct to the radiator, you won't need to change that "filter".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins