Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #1

Cummins diesel

I’m in the market for a new motorhome, I’m looking at a couple with the 300 horse Cummings, I was wondering is this the 5.9 L ISB
Any feedback would be great thanks
Dutchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #2

Can you give an idea of the make and size of the coaches? Not sure if 300 has enough power.
ray999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #3

What size is the 300 hp Cummins?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #4

Not sure about your question, but be careful with the length ie. 40’,38’ or 36’. With only 300 HP that is not a big enough engine to handle long inclines or mountainous traveling. And, if you have a toad — more weight to pull too. Flat traveling would probably be just ok— nothing special. Personally, I would not even consider it for a class A rig. Good luck in finding what you want because it’s fun out on the road with new adventures.
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:00 PM   #5

I have a 5.9 Cummins in my 36’ rig. I pull a toad or a trailer with a RZR all over the NW. Not first to top of mountains, but not even close to last. Run 62-65 most of time, but will run 70 in parts of country. Have no complaints to date. More power would be nice at times, but not a big deal. Others may have opinions....��
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningHard View Post
I have a 5.9 Cummins in my 36’ rig. I pull a toad or a trailer with a RZR all over the NW. Not first to top of mountains, but not even close to last. Run 62-65 most of time, but will run 70 in parts of country. Have no complaints to date. More power would be nice at times, but not a big deal. Others may have opinions....��
Me too, also in the PNW. Love my 5.9L ISB with a Banks power pack for 300 HP. 175k miles.

If you think a MH is a sports car you would be wrong. That is my TOAD.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:51 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No complaints here. We live in Western NC which means every trip in any direction involves mountains. Like Runninghard said, not the first to the top but not the last. Gets the job done pulling a TOAD with good fuel mileage.
banjopickin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The 5.9 ISB is a good engine. I would look at the weight that the engine has to move and try to stay at or less than 1000 lbs to 1 horsepower ratio. In my opinion the remarks about mountain driving mostly don’t really stack up because most mountain passes have switch backs that usually limit your speed that you will probably be driving the speed limit anyway.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #9

I've had the ISB in a class A and now have the ISL. No complaints at all with the ISB and, as others have said, it gets the job done, is a proven workhorse and parts/service is a bit more available as it was the common power plant for Dodge pickups.

I would, however, use the rule of thumb of 1 horse power for every 100 lbs. of GVW. You will get up the hills just fine, regardless. I would look for an Allison 3000 series transmission with 5 speeds, at least, if possible. Don't know if the 6 speed is mated to the ISB or not. I do know that the ISB does not come with the engine brake, but does come with a very effective exhaust brake. Both work well.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #10

Our 96 36' Discovery had the 235hp 5.9 Cummins. I towed a Saturn with it and it took us where we wanted to go. Then our 39' Bounder had the 275 version of the 5.9. It also did the job for us towing a Chrysler minivan. Any coach that has the 5.9 engine will get the job done. With some, you will be slower that others going up the mountain, but that is a great time to take in the view. I could never understand the need for speed in a motorhome.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray999 View Post
Can you give an idea of the make and size of the coaches? Not sure if 300 has enough power.
It is a 36 ft Fleetwood discovery, with a 300 horse Cummings. My question is is this the 5.9 L or what leader is this.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchv View Post
I’m in the market for a new motorhome, I’m looking at a couple with the 300 horse Cummings, I was wondering is this the 5.9 L ISB
Any feedback would be great thanks
It will be a Cummins 6.7 ISB engine. It is a good solid engine, however it is under-powered for a 38- 40' MH IMO. My reasoning, it has lower torque than a larger displacement engine, and there is no substitute for torque.
The rule-of-thumb for powering a MH is no less than 1 HP per 100 lbs. if the driver wants to feel comfortable when climbing hills.
Don't take that wrong, the 6.7 will get the coach up the mountain, just slower than than nearly all other traffic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The 5.9L and 6.7L are both the Cummins "B" engine but in different generations. The 5.9L ISB was typically rated at 275-300 hp in the early 2000's, and the 6.7L ISB was mostly rated at 340, but there were other Hp ratings available (different tune).

Discoverys used the 5.9L engine up thru at least 2000. Then they switched to a Cat 330 and later to the Cummins ISC 330 or 350. If you could give the year of the Discovery, we could stop guessing and look it up on the Fleetwood brochure website or at the Freightliner chassis website.

https://www.fleetwoodrv.com/shopping...arch/brochures
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I've had the ISB in a class A and now have the ISL. No complaints at all with the ISB and, as others have said, it gets the job done, is a proven workhorse and parts/service is a bit more available as it was the common power plant for Dodge pickups.

I would, however, use the rule of thumb of 1 horse power for every 100 lbs. of GVW. You will get up the hills just fine, regardless. I would look for an Allison 3000 series transmission with 5 speeds, at least, if possible. Don't know if the 6 speed is mated to the ISB or not. I do know that the ISB does not come with the engine brake, but does come with a very effective exhaust brake. Both work well.
Larry is correct on the weight to power ratio I must have had a fat finger.

Tags
diesel, cummins