RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Start with a oil sample to determine how much dust/sand was injested. Having been there and based on the condition of your impeller it was caught in time. Mine had leading edges that looked like coarse sandpaper and one had 1/8 th inch missing from one end. Fortunately mine had an opposing vain (8 not like your 7) so by smoothing the leading edges with a file and removing an equal amount from the opposing vain...I did not replace the turbo and that was 45K miles ago.

I would change the oil and then sample and change again in 5K miles. Measure the location of the oil on your dipstick after a few miles and then again every thousand miles (under the same conditions) to try and tell how much if any oil consumption you may now have. Also check for any oil spots on your toad.

If no oil on your toad I would consider yourself lucky. If it does use a little oil and there are oil specks on your toad I would make a oil catcher for the engine vent (steel wool in a gallon jug) as oil is cheap and these engines are tougher than most think.

It burns little to no oil between changes, and Iíve never had any oil on my toad and/or in the engine bay. This in part is why Iím suspicious of this diagnosis.
Scott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
In all this did they give you any indication of what was causing the CEL ,, a code ? , or a good explanation of how a dusted engine would cause an intermittent CEL ?

Itís the 555 code. One reason for the CEL is high crankcase pressure.
Scott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, oil samples for next 2 or 3 oil changes and watch boost, fuel use and blowby. If its toast you will know.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
rgl

Monaco Owners Club
Does the crankcase filter on the top of the engine need to be changed? Clean it up, clamp it up and change oil. Dealer is not your friend!
Old 10-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
In your picture, right on the center hub piece at 7 o'clock it looks like that center hub may be cracked or dinged....or is that a piece of cloth or something from a rag? Just looks strange from the photo and can't quite make out what it is.
That is where a grinder is taken to the wheel to balance it.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #20

Engine dusted

Heavy truck mechanic here.What several people said is correct.If no oil consumption,no noticeable power loss,fix the air leak,change the oil and air filter,roll on.If I used blowby as a reason to rebuild engines the fleet would be bankrupt!Now clouds of smoke from road draft tube,maybe different
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins