Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #1

Cummins New EC-AGS+ Wireless Control System

I bought the EC-AGS+ from Cummins and it sat on my desk for several weeks. My 10kw Onan model # 10HDCAA Spec A on a 2003 Beaver is not listed in the compatibility chart. I called their Tech Support and one guy said it wont work and he didn't seem to be to knowledgeable about any of it. He really didn't even know about the new unit until I told him about it. I didn't return it (although I generated the return) just on his word, not wanting to give up, I called another Onan tech guy a couple weeks later and he (who also didn't seem to be too knowledgeable) wanted me to call a guy in Indiana because he thought that one might know how to retro fit it. I called and left a message and never heard back.

https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/...n-kit-a065u740

https://www.cummins.com/news/release...generator-sets

Please note, the EC-AGS+ pairs with every Onan generator, with the exception of the Onan QD3200.

https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul..._I2_202106.pdf

I emailed the gentlemen mentioned in the Press Release above; Karl Wilson. In the letter I expressed my concerns as to whether the EC-AGS+ would function on my generator 10HDCAA since my gen wasn't listed as compatible per the compatibility chart located in the owners manual. He was extremely responsive and wrote me back that evening. He explained he would find out and let me know. The next morning I awoke and found he had sent an email explaining there may be a couple quirks, but that basic operations should function as advertised. Monday morning I went to work. The unit is plug and play. What complicated my install was the generator slide in\out and wire harness routing to verify bundle positioning during movement at either end. Also the mounting of the gateway in a place that would allow the correct bundle positioning. It took me awhile to make that decision.
  • I took the old unit out the EC 30 W which someone had basically tie wrapped in there.
  • I then verified the new AGS would plug right in and it did.
  • I removed plastic wire sheathing from the old harness, cleaned it up and installed on the new.
  • I then began routing the harness following the basic same route back as the old unit, in the image the Y harness connectors are visible next to the generator cabinet. I ended up having to tuck these connectors behind the conduit for clearance on generator slide movement.
  • I attached to the conduit piggy backing all the way back.
  • I searched for the best mount location for the gateway unit and finally settled on the outboard forward side of the passenger frame rail. This location had relatively easy access and good location for harness slack/ movement. I drilled 2 small pilot holes making sure of clearance behind and then 2 larger holes for the mounting hardware and mounted it there. Drilling those frame rails was no easy task, slow and careful all the way.

I finally routed power ground, red/black, crimped terminal lugs the correct size for the studs and wire (18g). Carefully attached to the studs, and the unit powered up. I later found out from Karl I should either cap and stow the gray wire or hook it to chassis battery power so the AGS can monitor that as well. Parameters can also be set to power the coach if chassis battery falls out of values, I think....
The AGS powered right up and I downloaded the app from google play store and connected via bluetooth and paired my phone to the gateway, doing some basic set up along the way model ID, log in password. I also paired to the temp sensor to the gateway via the app and I later mounted in the coach near the thermostat. Once I completed basic set up I was literally able to start and stop the generator from my phone while in the manual mode I did this several times being careful about short cycling.. When I paired the temp sensor I could monitor coach temperature from the phone. (EDIT: ALL THIS VIA BLUETOOTH)

I labeled this my forward zone and there is capability to add 2 more zones.

The AGS has many capabilities while in the auto mode. I ran out of time and light and put the toys away. I left the unit in manual mode so there will be no auto starts while in storage, just yet. I will need to go down through the app while paired to the gateway and set up those parameters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan Data Tag.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	350478

Name:	Cummins Compatibility chart.png
Views:	167
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	350479

Name:	In Work Driveway.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	350480

Name:	EC30W.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	350481

Name:	Routing 1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	350483

Name:	Routing 2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	350484

Name:	Gateway Mount.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	350485

Name:	Power hookup.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	350486
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plug and play.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	350487  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 08:39 AM   #2

Will this work with a QD7500?
Pierpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierpressure View Post
Will this work with a QD7500?
Most likely , find your spec # on the data tag check in the compatibility chart. And even if it's not listed it still might work because mines not listed and it works.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

I'm pleased to see that Onan has finally released an new version of the Wireless AGS. Curious BigNick1, I see you had a previous install of the EC30 W which you removed. I have had one for about 8 years and find that it works well.
Wonder why you removed yours? Maybe it no longer functioned?

Anyway...great news that there is a new wireless AGS.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
I'm pleased to see that Onan has finally released an new version of the Wireless AGS. Curious BigNick1, I see you had a previous install of the EC30 W which you removed. I have had one for about 8 years and find that it works well.
Wonder why you removed yours? Maybe it no longer functioned?

Anyway...great news that there is a new wireless AGS.
Hi Rich, the piece that connects to the genset is probably good but I didn't have the piece that plugs in on the inside of the coach.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ah...well of course. And since it's been long discontinued no parts available.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
Ah...well of course. And since it's been long discontinued no parts available.
Correct. I'm not sure what to do with the piece I do have, I don't know if its good or bad. So I just put it in the box with all the other old junk Ive removed and upgraded
Old 12-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick1 View Post
Most likely , find your spec # on the data tag check in the compatibility chart. And even if it's not listed it still might work because mines not listed and it works.

I checked with Cummins and they stated it is not on the listed. May try it anyway.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I checked with Cummins and they stated it is not on the listed. May try it anyway.
Pretty sure it will work for you Pier. My EC30W was first installed on a QD7500 and the transferred to my QD8000. There isn't any difference in the connection or function of the two.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #10

Thanks for getting back to me. It’s worth a shot so I will go ahead and order it.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

Basically what Karl said is if the EC worked on it , then this one should as well. The quirks are the logging of fault codes in the app which is an extra. You can get fault codes off the generator itself. The compatibility chart is lacking. Drop Karl an email if you want, see what he says before you pull the trigger on the $350. The Cummins tech guys are pretty seriously apparently not really "tech" guys, they just read what's on the screen.

Karl K. Wilson
karl.k.wilson@cummins.com
Old 12-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The QD7500 will work fine with the EC-AGS+. The 6000, 7500 and 8000 all have the same controller inside, it will never know the difference.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corc View Post
The QD7500 will work fine with the EC-AGS+. The 6000, 7500 and 8000 all have the same controller inside, it will never know the difference.

I went ahead and ordered it. Will report back once I have it installed.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #14

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered it. Will report back once I have it installed.
I think you're going to like it. I went out to the coach today to load parameters for voltage and temperature and my phone hooked up to it right away. The default parameters were already there. I didn't have time to try it out in auto as my main objective was to winterize fresh water system which is done now.

Tags
ags, cummins