Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo69 View Post
Want to get the new AGS+ for my motor home BUT Cummings website says "not compatible with lithium batteries. I sent Cummings a request as to why? My response
Steve,

We don't have an explanation why the AGS+ is not compatible with lithium batteries only that it isn't.

Anyone using it with lithium????
Good question. I don't to have the unit but have been researching the unit. With lithium I can see where the battery % indicator would be incorrect during to the voltage differences. It starts via voltage trigger so the lithium flat discharge curve likely the problem.

If the voltage trigger selection was after the voltage curve starts to drop, it would likeky be ok. As long as the generator will reliability start. I think many would, depending on the generator, battery bank current capability, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1640361784984.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	361847
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Good question. I don't to have the unit but have been researching the unit. With lithium I can see where the battery % indicator would be incorrect during to the voltage differences. It starts via voltage trigger so the lithium flat discharge curve likely the problem.

If the voltage trigger selection was after the voltage curve starts to drop, it would likeky be ok. As long as the generator will reliability start. I think many would, depending on the generator, battery bank current capability, etc.

Attachment 361847
I'm also evaluating the EC-AGS+ for our coach. We have BattleBorn lithium house batteries so I was trying to find more info as well.

I believe that Cummins just wants to avoid the many and varied possibilities of Lithium batteries and having to support them.

The owners' manual/app shows a range of 10.5v - 12.5v for the start trigger voltage and 13.2V - 14.5V for the stop charging trigger voltage. That range certainly seems like it would be wide enough to support many (most? all?) lithium coach batteries.

I'm going to go look for BattleBorn's discharge graph/voltage specs. I don't need the AGS right now (the coach has survived 18 years without one) but may want to add one for our 2023 travel plans so I have time to see how this shakes out. (It is out of stock at Cummins right now anyway)

I too would be interested in anyone that has experience with the EC-AGS+ with Lithium batteries.
wombat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:17 AM   #31

Over the years, Cummings/Onan has been great to work with and still great so that was my surprise when I queried their support staff on the issue and although they were attentive, regretfully, no one knew the answer to my question. We are all converting to lithium batteries, or at least investigating the issue. Surprised Cummings seems to be on the "slow" side of this trend in AGS units. Maybe they are working on a new AGS that will replace these units and work with lithium based on a SOC charge %.
lobo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I am curious about this new unit. the old 30W would start up on loss of shore power when in auto mode. Does this unit have that capability or only when the inside temperature gets too hot?
I also wondered this. Too bad if it does not detect loss of shore power. I hate to run the Genny if the power is restored.

I suspect you would set the temp on the ags a few degrees higher than you have the AC set at. That way if shore power failed the Genny would start once the temp rose. If shore power is available the temp would not rise that high.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:35 AM   #33

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Love mine... Works well, and that Bluetooth interface is great. Much better than that magnum AGS that I did have.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:13 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Love mine... Works well, and that Bluetooth interface is great. Much better than that magnum AGS that I did have.

How do you set up the OEM Magnum AGS while using the Cummins EC-AGS+?

Or does the OEM AGS setting not matter? I don’t have the EC-AGS+, yet, but was just wondering about that. The OEM AGS might get unplugged during the new install.

Also, does the EC-AGS+ detect the loss of shore power? My OEM AGS on my ‘17 Entegra Insignia doesn’t do this, which somewhat defeats how I want the AGS to function.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Interesting, because the reviews in the software app claim it’s not a very good unit. I hope the reviews are wrong, but not willing to risk $300 as a trial.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
Interesting, because the reviews in the software app claim it’s not a very good unit. I hope the reviews are wrong, but not willing to risk $300 as a trial.
I am having the same difficult time. Those negative views are not without merit. I would return it if i could.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #37

Quote:
I wonder, exactly what do the bad "reviews" say?
Could you please supply a link?
BigNick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:12 AM   #38

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wanderers View Post
How do you set up the OEM Magnum AGS while using the Cummins EC-AGS+?...

You don't. The EC-AGS from Cummins is much better than the Magnum one. I uninstalled the Magnum AGS (never did it ever work well!) and have used the EC-AGS exclusively since.

The app is great, gives a lot of information about temperatures, battery voltages (both chassis and house) and a log of usage too. Has maintenance reminders.

I've not see negative reviews and would love a link to some reviews so I can see why some are 'unhappy' with this system.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Onan had an older AGS system, EC 30W, which had a wireless remote control. The new one, EC AGS+ uses an app on your phone via Bluetooth. 30w had communication issues, via its 485 protocol. The AGS+ uses Bluetooth, much better

Ultimately both just start and stop the generator based on low voltage or temperature. Your inverter charger would then react just like if you plugged in to shore power.

The 30w did have shore power detection, the AGS + does not.

AGS+ Can get updates via the app and is confirmed via Cummins to have the hardware to make Wi-Fi feasible with future software download.

Not to get confusing, but Onan also has a wired AGS, EC 30, no W. It is hard wired and has multiple wired inputs from AC and shore power. This is more of an OEM item. There were lots of software and update issues with this unit, it is also the oldest. Software had to go back to Onan to update Careful what you read on forum, they all start with letters EC, but big differences past that.

No magical or devilish about the AGS +, I have one. Only took 1/2 hour with beer brake to install on my diesel pusher. Looking forward to the Wi-Fi update, but who knows when that might happen.

Experiment and enjoy, that is part of RVing fun.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:25 AM   #40

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corc View Post
The 30w did have shore power detection, the AGS + does not.
I'm not sure that is really important. The main factor (house battery voltage...) being low is why you want to start the generator... But if the inverter/charger has failed, yes, whether shore power is connected or not complicates things. If shore power is there, and the inverter/charger is not charging, then starting the generator won't be helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corc View Post
AGS+ Can get updates via the app and is confirmed via Cummins to have the hardware to make Wi-Fi feasible with future software download. ...

Experiment and enjoy, that is part of RVing fun.
WiFi connection might be very interesting! Sadly the Bluetooth connection range is limited with the current setup, so I'd welcome something with more range. (I can't connect from the rear of our coach, for example...)

Damned right: I love to try (new) stuff out on my coach!
Old 07-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick1 View Post
I wonder, exactly what do the bad "reviews" say?
Could you please supply a link?
Reviews in App Store download for app.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Reviews in App Store download for app.
I saw only 1 review there.
BigNick1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, cummins