Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Cummins Water temperature

I have just purchased a Monaco with a 400 bhp Commins diesel engine. I am a little concerned about the water temperature, it is running at 195 to 211 degrees on the flat, is this normal?
Rudyard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard1 View Post
I have just purchased a Monaco with a 400 bhp Commins diesel engine. I am a little concerned about the water temperature, it is running at 195 to 211 degrees on the flat, is this normal?
Nothing wrong with that, especially if you are running in cool areas without the dash AC turned on. Now, that may be chassis specific but my Spartan chassis drops 10* after I start the air conditioner. So, without AC I am running right at 210*with my 2006, 400 HP ISL.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

OK, apologies as I'm confused... are you talking about your coolant temp??
Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
My 2005 400HP runs at 205 flat ground.
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

How old is your coach and how much milage? If it runs about the same under heavy loads, steep grades, there is no problem. All of us have to shift down on a steep grade if we start to overheat. As you drive your coach you will become more familiar with "normal".

Aside from your question, I would recommend getting the alignment and ride height checked and have a 4, or 6 point for a tag, weight check. Do this after you have your normal belongings stored and have 2/3 a tank of fresh water, full fuel tank and empty black and grey tanks. It is amazing how many of us have benefited from this procedure.

In any case, happy trails and welcome to the irv2 community!
Rick
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rudyard1;

My 2005 Horizon with the ISL runs around 205* also.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
YC1

My humble opinion is to clean the radiator and change the thermostat. After 5 years my thermostat went bad and the temps went up on climbs. On flat ground in hot temps the normal is about 190. I can see the temps climb about 5 degrees and then it drops quickly as the thermostat opens.

I found some amazing "coil cleaner" at the hardware store used for cleaning air conditioner condensers. Spray on and let it set for a few minutes.

As for the thermostat, you need the serial number off your engine to be sure to get the correct one. About $50 but cheap insurance.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My ISL (370 hp version, side radiator) runs anywhere from 187 to 203 unless the dash a/c is on, which triggers the engine fan to run continuously. With the fan running it drops it to a steady 185-188. The thermostat (185 on my Freightliner chassis) works fine, as does the variable fan speed controller. Cummins says my temperatures are well within normal for the ISL.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our ISC runs just over 180° on the flats, but does climb some in the hills. Have never had to downshift on a steep grade to keep it from overheating.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
All Cummins engines are not the same. The ISL varies from 185-210 as normal, the ISC's and ISB's run cooler. The higher the HP, the higher the normal temps. We had an ISB that would run 186 on the flats rising to 208 pulling fully loaded uphill. Our ISL runs 199-203 empty, loaded, up and down hills. The VMS PC will definitely keep tabs on it and you will be able to see if something is going on.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes Dad View Post
The VMS PC will definitely keep tabs on it and you will be able to see if something is going on.
That's what I've used since 2000 on one 3126 and now the ISC. They even have a profile for the ISC 350 with the Banks Power Pack.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The temperature of my 400 ISL in a 40' Winnebago Tour cycles from 195 to 210. When we first got the unit I was concerned and took it to a local Cummins shop. The tech thought it sounded wrong to be cycling up and down and after checking the entire cooling system found a factory recall for the thermostat. The thermostat was changed under warranty with no change in the cycling. We then went for a ride with the computer hooked up which revealed that the fan was coming on at 210 degrees and shutting off at 196 which caused the immediate cooling. While I was still at the shop a factory tech representative arrived for another engine in the shop and he was consulted. He made several calls to the factory and stated that the engine was within the perimeters set for that engine. There have been several threads in the Cummins section on ISL cooling and many with the same cycling I described. I hope the Cummins representative I spoke to was right and he wasn't just blowing me off since to me a steady temp would be more desirable for engine longevity than one that cycles up and down.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have some experience with this on my allegro bus. My temps were rock solid about 200 degrees when I first bought it used. On a trip out west I had problems when I hit the mountains and took it to freighliner authorized repair center with an RV shop. They decided that my hydraulic controller was bad and replaced that. With the new controller my temps did exactly what you were describing. I called the shop and they told me that was normal. When I said something about the way that it had been they told me when the controllers fail they sometimes fail on and run the fan all the time that was why it was staying at 200. The reason it had to be replaced was because the fan was not being brought up to full speed. Evidently the fan does not come on until you are around 211 I believe is the temp that immediately starts cooling down and around 185 to 190 ( these are not absolute temps and I am going from memory I might be wrong on the numbers) the fan shuts off. I agree with an earlier poster I would think having it run a set temp would be better I am guessing that it is done this way to improve fuel mileage. Apparently the fan pulls quite a bit of horsepower when it is running.

When you see these temp are you looking at your mechanical guage or the digital readout. My mechanical gauge reads 5 to 10 degrees hotter than my digital engine monitoring does.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #14

Cool Big temperature swings for no reason ????

My ISL (pre-DEF) runs from 165 to 200 degrees without any reason for the variation. I can be driving for hours at 175, stop for fuel, etc. and start up and it runs at 200 -- same operating conditions -- or vice versa??? Also big swings in temp with just rolling up to a stop sign, etc. In 30 seconds it can drop 20 degrees and then back up when I resume speed.

Cummins says "don't worry about it...."

What's going on here? Where is the temp sensor located? I have never had a diesel engine that did anything other than sit rock solid at one temp on level ground -- this one is all over the place?

Any thoughts on this???
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, cummins