Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #1

Curb Side Awning That Can be Deployed Over a Slide

My coach has a curb side kitchen slide that deploys under our manual awning. Unfortunately, to deploy the awning I have to put the slide in and then back out again. So if wind is coming, we have to retract the slide then put in the awning and then put the slide out again. Needless to say, we don't use the awning much.

Is there an awning that will deploy over the top of our slide to prevent having to bring the slide in and out all the time?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #2

I haven't seen a manual awning that will go in/out over an extended curb side slide , I've seen units with power awnings , over the curb slide ; but then you loose all tilt for shade and rain water drainage functions.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our coach has a curb side slide with the Carefree power awning which will extend with the slide in either position. This awning is attached to the coach and not the slide. You do lose use of some of the awning with the slide out. The awning can be tilted by adjusting the legs to provide an angle down for sun and rain.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Girard makes one that goes out part way, then the outside part of the awning bends down over the slide.

https://www.girardrv.com/collections...nt=14309349190
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
My coach has a curb side kitchen slide that deploys under our manual awning. Unfortunately, to deploy the awning I have to put the slide in and then back out again. So if wind is coming, we have to retract the slide then put in the awning and then put the slide out again. Needless to say, we don't use the awning much.

Is there an awning that will deploy over the top of our slide to prevent having to bring the slide in and out all the time?

Ours is the same way! It's certainly inconvenient, but there is a reason for it. There is no way they can get more space between the top of the slideout and the main awning. I don't like it but I can understand why it was necessary to do it that way!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Girard makes one that goes out part way, then the outside part of the awning bends down over the slide.

https://www.girardrv.com/collections...nt=14309349190

There is actually a 2017 Newmar Londonaire across from me now with those awnings. They look very nice, have to investigate cost and retrofitting.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. Mine has a weatherpro power awning and I can open and close it regardless of the position of the kitchen slide. Maybe the power awning was an option.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"vettenuts"......Is your kitchen slide long enough, that adding an awning to the slide out would be worthwhile.

Second, without seeing your set up, could a roller be added to both ends of the slide out to allow the awning to come out and roll over the slide out?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"vettenuts"......Is your kitchen slide long enough, that adding an awning to the slide out would be worthwhile.

Second, without seeing your set up, could a roller be added to both ends of the slide out to allow the awning to come out and roll over the slide out?

The slide is about 2 feet projected from the side of the coach. The awning is an A&E 9000 and as it deploys it rotates about the bottom of the support arms and would hit the deployed slide. Additionally the loop that you pull to open the awning is not within reach with the slide open.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 AM   #10

Curb Side Awning That Can be Deployed Over a Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Interesting. Mine has a weatherpro power awning and I can open and close it regardless of the position of the kitchen slide. Maybe the power awning was an option.
jt

I don't recall that as a factory option in the brochure, but Newmar will do some custom work if you order the coach.

Do you know where they picked up power for the awning?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It's more a matter of how/where the awning was mounted and the downward angle it is adjusted for (if adjustable at all). Some slides come so close to the roof line that it's impossible to get the awning high enough for the roller tube to pass over it. And some coaches mount the awning right on the slide, but that often makes for a smaller awning area.

I'm not familiar with your coach model or even what brand of awning it came with, so hard to guess what might be possible. Could you post a photo of the awning area, and identify the make & model awning you now have?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there any way that you could unlatch the awning, extend the legs up a little, and THEN pull it out? Also, since the pull strap is blocked by the slide, you could add a second strap, positioning both on either side of the slide; it would then take 2 people to pull it open/closed, but might be doable IF the leg extension idea works. Just tossing some thoughts out there.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #13

Just snapped this with the slide out. You can see the roll d up awning and where the top of the slide comes in. Only an inch or two between them. Note, the pull is tucked up inside the roller in this photo so it doesn't get caught in the slide seal as the slide closes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	163447
Old 05-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another bit of info for Monaco owners or others with this slideout/awning problem.

After deploying the awning and tilting it to an acceptable downward angle to keep water from puddling, then extending the slideout, the slideout topper ends (SOK II) are putting a LOT of pressure on the main awning fabric! I was afraid that eventually it will wear a hole in the awning.

A while back I had to replace two slide topper awnings and found that Stone Vos has the exact acrylic fabric that came on my Windsor from Monaco in 2002! This is also the same fabric that is on the main awning. I had them to send me a couple of scrap pieces of the fabric which perfectly matched the main awning fabric. I cut two 12" x 12" pieces and used cloth cement from Wal-Mart to glue them to the main awning right over where the slideout topper ends pressed against it. By doubling the thickness at that point I feel better about never wearing a hole in the main awning!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide