Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #1

Just curious about how many Motorhome owners do not tow a vehicle but rent one when they get to their destination?

debbiejohntaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #2

Just curious about how many Motorhome owners do not tow a vehicle but rent one when they get to their destination?

Old 06-26-2007, 05:24 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I have only talked to one couple that did the rental thing. They used Enterprise and called in advance of arriving at the campground. They said that Enterprise would deliver the car to them. They liked it, but it didn't appeal to me.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a friend that went that way using Enterprise rather than get set-up to tow a car behind his motor home.
After one three month trip he went the tow route.
He said the rental cost was much higher than he expected based on the commercials and it was a pain to have to arrange it each time he needed a car.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #5

You also have to consider what if your destination is in an area where rental cars are not easily available. Another consideration is if you decide to stop between destination campgrounds to check out a site of particular interest.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #6

We have been using rental cars for quite a few years. The catch is that I am still working and our vacations are usually of short duration. We do most of our siteseeing in the motor home when enroute from point A to point B. When we reach our destination area we usually rent from Enterprise. And yes, it can be expensive depending on the location.

When I am retired, next year, we will go the towed route too. We expect to take trips of much longer duration and stay in our destination locations for more than a day or two.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #7

We rent at this time but are looking to tow. We use whatever bargain rental agreement the campground we are staying at has made. Usually quite a bit cheaper that way and they most often deliver and pickup at your site with no mileage charge for the delivery.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, really appreciate the feed back

Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #9

This and interesting subject matter. I wonder if any one has ever tried the "Rent a Wreck", approach. Should be cheaper, who much cares how old the rental is, as long as it is dependable and cheap. Just curious if any one has tried it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
When we went to Utah we took our ATVs so taking a car wasn't an option. The resort we were at met Enterprise 1/2 way for us and we had the car for a few days. Worked out just fine. Next year when we go to the coast for a week we may do the same thing. So far I haven't spend the money on a towbar, brakes, etc and we can rent a car many times before I come close. I am sure eventually I will set it up, but for now we'll rent when we realty need a car.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote