Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2020, 01:42 AM   #1

Current Market on Class A Coaches?

I'm seeing many RV dealers sold out, boat dealers sold out in California right now. You have to pre order weeks in advance to get a dump trailer in California. It goes against what the economy is doing but I'm not a economist.

What are you seeing in the class A market? I've got a Entegra Aspire for sale and am wondering if it's a sellers market or buyers market? What's everyone thoughts on the subject?
Skycrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 05:42 AM   #2

I'm not an expert, but it seems that the better quality used DP market is a little tight. I've been interested in upgrading to a Monaco/Newmar/HR but smallish DP - less than 39'. Seems there are some, but much fewer than I'd hoped. 40' and longer seems plentiful.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:55 AM   #3

Up here in Canada, at least in western Canada there is a buying frenzy it seems on all RV's. For the most part it seems to be due to the limited travel because of Covid. A friend is a GM for a RV dealer in the Edmonton area and he was saying that they can't keep anything on the lot new or used right now.
I'm thinking next year may be a good time to buy after all the people who bought because it was the only way they could get away and then realized it wasn't there thing.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #4

Right now, with limited inventory at dealerships it certainly seems to be a sellers market.
Just a hunch, but I see a lot of these recent RV buyers putting theirs up for sale over the next couple of years when they find out they are not really RVers, or other modes of travel return to a more normal state. If so, then of course the tide will turn to a buyers market.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
From what I am seeing in the South East it is a Sellers market. Class A's here are sold before they reach the lot and if they do I looked at one that priced higher than a new one. Dealer told me basically take it or leave it. We have time and are not in a rush to buy and hope pricing will drop come next summer.
Have a friend that is a boat salesman. He told me Boats are another hot seller. He sold a boat to a couple and after the sale was complete the guy asked him " How do you get the boat in the water"
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The trade papers I saw say towables ( trailers) and class B travel vans sales are up this year in big numbers, however class A sales are way down year over year. Now of course that’s “new” numbers but gives an idea of the market. New Class A sales has been going down in sales for the past several years as the market shifts to younger folks that want smaller rigs or so the analysts say.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #7

Yep, sellers market. And agree that over a 12-18 month period, we may see two flavors of RV's hitting the market: 1) Those who bought used units in a high demand price situation. Suspect they'll drop back to normal, or a bit below, due to a potential oversupply; 2) Those who bought new units. Suspect these will become relatively young coaches, at good price points for a new potential buyer.

I have a gent I used to work with, retiring in 2 1/2 years. They were going to buy a retirement coach this year, but found prices were high, and good units moved fast. We talked Pro's/Con's on getting in line now to buy new, with a late year, or early next year delivery, depending upon manufactures backlog. But after talking over all of those that IMO, have jumped int a new RV due to C-19, without fully understanding/knowing what RV'ing is all about, and these should generate to a group of relatively young coaches coming onto the market - they're going to wait now until next year.

Suspect in 24 months, we'll know how this all sorts out!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Price your rig at a fair price, not what you owe if you really want it to sell. Not many new buyers buying a big rig. I’m seeing lots of new small RVs of all types, but not any new 40+ DPs... granted I’m not staying in MH Resorts.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycrane View Post
I'm seeing many RV dealers sold out, boat dealers sold out in California right now. You have to pre order weeks in advance to get a dump trailer in California. It goes against what the economy is doing but I'm not a economist.

What are you seeing in the class A market? I've got a Entegra Aspire for sale and am wondering if it's a sellers market or buyers market? What's everyone thoughts on the subject?
IT is definitely a seller market with LOTS of inexperienced buyers jumping into the "life style" If you haven't already, you can advertise your Aspire for free in the iRV2 classifieds. good luck.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #10

Just an observation.

I agree with all posts regarding the upsurge in RVs sold and being used and will state that towables are leading the charge. We recently returned from a stay at our favorite RV parks and found that trailers/5ers outnumbered coaches by, easily, 8-1. This was not the "norm" prior to COVID. Previously, MHs outnumbered trailers and class B/C RVs by 5-1. And the parks themselves? Every day is like a weekend crowd.

To the OP's question, a rising tide lifts all boats. The Class A market may not be surging like that of trailers, but the market is stronger than pre-COVID.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Looks to me like a sellers market right now! Probably a great time to sell your rig if it's in good shape!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #12

Right now it's a sellers market...for the most part...
If you have an older high end diesel pusher financing can be problematic...
Most of the RV's I see sold are new towables that are financed by folk getting into the lifestyle...
Have an acquaintance that wanted a new Tiffin Phaeton...
Looked at several at dealerships and the discount was not to his liking...
He ended up ordering a new 2021 that he is still waiting on delivery...
If you are wanting to sell and it's a private party transaction that changes the dynamics...
We just sold our 20' travel trailer and took out an ad on RV Trader but ended up selling it through FB...
Advertised on both places for several months before I got any interest...
Had a guy drop by and told me it had delam on the front cap...
Totally bogus...
2 people interested at the same time 3 weeks later...
Sold it to an old family acquaintance that knew me...
Price it right and it will sell if the buyer can get financed or has cash on hand...
My buyer paid cash...
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #13

I have to agree it's sure looking like a sellers market right now. We are looking at purchasing a brand new Chevy Diesel. There aren't any in our region. All sold out and no new cars being assembled right now or they are holding back on the market to keep demand high.

[Mod Edit]

Covid has many people buying RV's and turning to camping instead of traveling to hawaii or something. I wonder if we will see a big flood in the market in a few years whey they realize it's not for everyone?!
Skycrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Rules Reminder!

Buying and Selling in Open Forums is not permitted.

Site Staff
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a