Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

Current Texas Class B Non-CDL License Test

OK. This week I completed the written and the driving test. Took the written test in Boerne, TX. It was all about Section 14. Study that, you pass.

Driving test in Kerrville, TX. She did an air brake test consisting of letting the air come up, turning the engine off, turning the key back on but not starting the engine (with the front passenger wheel chocked), then hold down service brake for one minute to test the drop in pressure which can't be more than 3 psi, then pumping the brake pedal until the warning light comes on, then until the parking brake yellow knob pops out (at about 25 to 40 psi).

Next was a drive to a large parking lot where she had me back up 100 ft., then turn sharp to the right and back into a parking space without touching the tires to the curb. Interesting.

Then we went on about an 8 mile route with easy left and right turns, back through the city center and back to the facility. It was straight forward and not difficult at all. The people at this facility are really down to earth and pleasant.

So now I am legal. Katy bar the door!!

BTW, at the facility they call it the Class B Exempt license and they do distinguish the driving test they give you for RV driving versus one they would give a regular Class B CDL. I don't know the difference between the two but they apparently have a different route and different requirements for the Class B CDL.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Don!

I found that there is a degree of comfort knowing that just one more base is covered.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #3

When I got a CDL to drive a tour bus years ago part of the driving test actually involved serpentine backing through a long line of cones (which you could not hit). It wasn't particularly difficult if you had been taught how to do it , but I can imagine if an unsuspecting RVer showed up to their test and were asked to do that there might be more than a small look of surprise in their eyes and a "YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT?"

I'm glad there were no "gotchas" and they didn't have things that were foreign to the real world of RVing and it all went well.
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #4

Congrats on now being legal. Feels good to know you are legal. Took my Class B a few months ago in Cleveland, TX. Was not required to do Air Brake test but was prepared for it. I really had to chuckle at some of the written test questions. What year did they start requiring blinkers on trucks? How many headlights are required on farm tractor? If you can answer these types of questions you can drive an RV in TX. Was a decent written test after getting through the silly questions. Driving test was much like any test with the backing, parking, town driving and highway driving.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Thank You for this post!!! Got to go and do this in the Very short term! Reading Section 14 right now again!!
Busa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #6

Got mine two days ago in Garland TX. They were very confused and gave me wrong paperwork, wrong tests etc.. I took 4 computer tests including basic commercial rules, general knowledge, pre trip inspection, and air brake written. On the driving test I had to demo the brake test including chocking the wheels. I did have to parallel park as well. Other than doing it in the middle of a huge rain storm it wasn't bad. I did however get a CDL-not a non-commercial class B which is what I asked for in the first place. If you can do it anywhere but Dallas I would recommend it as they have no idea of what your trying to do. The driving examiner stated he had never done one in an RV. ymmv

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 08-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just took mine in Bastrop Tx. Basic air brake, back 100', parallel park (not hard with huge mirrors!), and about a 20 min cruise in city and on the highway. I'm legal!
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
HHg

Took mine in Austin, piece of cake. They didn't make me park, back or do the air brake test.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
HHg

Took mine in Austin. Piece of cake, didn't have to back, park or do the air brake test. The dread of taking it was far was worse than the exam or the driving test.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #10

Class B Drivers License Test

Enjoyed your informative discussions. I'm studying the written test. Did not even know there was a chapter 14. the Lady at Plano, Tx said to study what is in figure 1.2. it says to study chapters 1, 2, 3, 5, 11, 12 and 13. Looks like that is the same as the CDL though. I'll make sure to cover chapter 14 also.

A couple of questions. Did anyone ask how your rig got to the drivers test?
Has any one had to do a pre-trip inspection? I would think we cannot get to many of the things a tractor driver has easier access to. Like I can barely see anything on the DP engine, etc.

Thanks for your postings.

Rob
Ro6ert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro6ert View Post
Enjoyed your informative discussions. I'm studying the written test. Did not even know there was a chapter 14. the Lady at Plano, Tx said to study what is in figure 1.2. it says to study chapters 1, 2, 3, 5, 11, 12 and 13. Looks like that is the same as the CDL though. I'll make sure to cover chapter 14 also.

A couple of questions. Did anyone ask how your rig got to the drivers test?
Has any one had to do a pre-trip inspection? I would think we cannot get to many of the things a tractor driver has easier access to. Like I can barely see anything on the DP engine, etc.

Thanks for your postings.

Rob
Every question on the written test is in Chapter 14. I have not heard of anyone who has been challenged on how they got to the driver's test. If you have air brakes, you may or may not be asked to do the air brake leakage test. This is described in the first post of this thread. I just completed my driver's test last week and I was not required to do the air brake test. I was just asked if I knew how to do it. The only inspection I had was the standard inspection of lights (turn signals & brakes) and horn. They verified registration & insurance.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #12

In Garland the examiner stated it did not matter how it got there and they don't ask. He did say that if you got stopped on the way that was your problem but they could care less. I took the pre trip inspection written test therefore wasn't asked about it. Did have to demo the air brake check fully however (don't forget some chocks).

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 09-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I am from Texas but have not lives there in a number of years(will be back there in a couple of months for a extended stay).My wife and i are full time,have not driven our M/H in texas yet.Been in many states.Went through a long tunnel tunnel.This is the first one i have seen ,was a L.P. check station ,they just wanted to make sure L.P. was turned off and no loose tanks.Also asked for D/L (i have a regular one) no problems.
This may sound stupid. But i was just wondering do you have to have a CDL to drive a M/H in Tx? I thought since it was not used for commercial a regular d/l worked.We are based out of Arkansas and i know several retired DPS officers that travel in a m/h on a regular d/L.Maybe they did go to Tx?
If this is so i will get one.Also we pull a car trailer with our 40' M/H we are a little over length for most states (3') been stopped for other things they never said anything,just luckily i guess. I heard you can get a non-comm CDL with an exemption for over length. I will call DPS in Tx some time and check it out.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
This may sound stupid. But i was just wondering do you have to have a CDL to drive a M/H in Tx?
Here we go again! Note the "subject" in post #1. It's about NON COMMERCIAL class B driving tests in Texas. There is no mention of a COM"L license nor is one required for operation of a MH (over 26,000 lb) in Texas
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas